Why does the paint suck so bad? - Page 4 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
I'd Like to Tell Toyota... This is for constructive suggestions to be made to Toyota regarding the FJ Cruiser. This is a flame free forum and heavily moderated.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 09:38 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Why does the paint suck so bad?

Bird poop has a lot of minerals in it. Nice and scratchy so be careful about scrubbing it off. I speak as a former exotic bird owner. Man those things can cr^p!

Army Green 2011 NSSE (Option Package 3) w/ Tribal Graphics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Dudes!

Have the paint scratches wheeled out.

Thought FJ's had clear coat on them.

Or Mequires scrath X.

This does not makes sense. My 2011 is fine after many bird droppings, bugs.

Also, the culprit could be environmentally friendly paint.
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
CurbCrawler previously said: View Post
I agree 100%, the FJ paint is thin and weakly bonded to the primer, so much so I have thought to file a consumer complaint with Toyota. Getting others to speak-up and conducting comparrison tests would be helpful, but what is the criteria for crappy paint?
You couldn't be more right. My 08 is already due for a paint job because of the paint chipping every time anything hits the front end. Terrible paint...

2008 FJ Cruiser - 3" Rough Country Lift, Bushwacker Fender Flares, Air Raid CAD, 17x9 DX Series Revolvers w/ Mickey Thompson ATZ, OEM Rock Rails
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 10:11 AM

the Anyone else seen this? My 2008 tt has rust spots appearing this is on the rear door but there are spots on the sides and leading edge of the roof. Must be pin holes in the paint but how? it isnt a chip on the back door and I"m pretty sure the paint would have bubbled if the rust was under unbroken paint. There is about 100 spots like this on the truck. Am I the only one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2199.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	70981  
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
jathca previously said: View Post
the Anyone else seen this? My 2008 tt has rust spots appearing this is on the rear door but there are spots on the sides and leading edge of the roof. Must be pin holes in the paint but how? it isnt a chip on the back door and I"m pretty sure the paint would have bubbled if the rust was under unbroken paint. There is about 100 spots like this on the truck. Am I the only one?
Try a clay bar.

2011 Army Green TTSE. Mods: Boztek CB Mount, Cobra 75W CB with Firestik, Uniden BCT8 mounted on MPAC Saddle Rack, MPAC Cargo Side Rack, MPAC Rear Rack, Husky Liners, Scepter Cans Roof Mounted, Rugged Ridge Headlamp Guards, Body Armor Tail Lamp Guards, Warrior Shovel Mount, Baja Basket, Metal Tech Front Bumper with Bash Plate, Rigid Dually D2 Roof Rack Lights, Ellis Precision Knobs in Stealth Black, ARB Safari Snorkel
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 12:58 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Quote:
jathca previously said: View Post
That's not your paint rusting, thats fallout from industrial junk and brake dust landing on the paint. Like stated before, use a clay bar to clean that off.

I have an 08' sun fusion, and I've had bird **** on it for days, and mud on it for weeks even, and it still looks brand new when I wash it. I guess the paint was hit or miss, but I have no issues and no complaints about my FJ's paint.
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 01:08 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Garage

FWIW, mine has been a problem too. 2012 with TTSE Radiant Red. It cam from the port with a chip on the rear tailgate door, just above the trail teams badge. It's was promised to be fixed by the dealer when I bought it. Well, 5000 miles only and I waited too long, now my tailgate is different shade of red than the rest of the rig. Grrrrrrrrr. What a fiasco. They even proved it was darker paint when they touched up another spot and you can clearly see the darker red on the touch up area. Which I didn;t ask them to touch. My door brushed against the shelves in my garage, which I throw a towel over for that purpose. I need to entire swing of the door as I am just slightly disabled. I do think the paint is thin and am frustrated that it doesn't come factory clear coated. I guess that's so they sell you all that overpriced dealer option paint protection shield crap, which any new vehicle should not even be painted so thin as to warrant 'added protection' else why would the dealer offer it? I know they pushed it when I bought mine, they knew something I didn't, yet.

'73 FJ40: Chevy sb 350 TBI
'84 FJ60: Vortec 4.3 TBI & 700R4
'12 FJC TTSE: ARB front bumper, Warn Zeon 10k winch, Icon Stage 2, RCI'S, 285/17 Duratracs, Prinsu rack, Springtail everything
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

The paint is clear coated.
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 10:42 AM

What about getting a Ming paint protection put on it? Would that help, or would it be a waste of money?

*edit* Never mind. I read up on the Ming process. A friend of mine swears by it. It sounds like a bad idea now. Removes any clear coat put on by the factory, thereby weakening the paint job.

Last edited by FastestSlowPerson; 03-12-2013 at 11:17 AM.
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 09:36 AM

Thank you that never occurred to me. I don't know what a clay bar is ( a bar of clay perhaps) but i'll find one and try it. thanks again
Quote:
Banana Boat previously said: View Post
That's not your paint rusting, thats fallout from industrial junk and brake dust landing on the [email protected] Like stated before, use a clay bar to clean that off.

I have an 0
sun fusion, and I've had bird **** on it for days, and mud on it for weeks even, and it still looks brand new when I wash it. I guess the paint was hit or miss, but I have no issues and no complaints about my FJ's paint.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > I'd Like to Tell Toyota...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in