Dust Gets In - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
I'd Like to Tell Toyota... This is for constructive suggestions to be made to Toyota regarding the FJ Cruiser. This is a flame free forum and heavily moderated.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Dust Gets In

We just got our new 2012 TT and dust comes in the rear jack door and other spots. Came in almost immediately on the first ride home. An off road vehicle, or an vehicle for that matter, shouldn't have dust coming in everywhere. The wife keeps a rag in the car at all times to try to wipe the dust down constantly. Other than that, we love it so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 06:56 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Dust Gets In

Good thing you didnt go with a jeep or you'd really be upset about some dust. lol

One thing that can help with dust coming in, is making sure you keep the blower set to recirculation.

"SYNCITY" - 2010 / Silver Fresco / AT

The build:
Suspension:
Icon Stage I * AllPro UCA * MT classic lock * GY 285/75/16 MT/R * BMC
Exterior:
Rigid 2x10"~1x20" * DeMello 3 hoop * Warn M8000 * TG sliders * Ricochet full armor * AP shock/link armor * BW pocket flares * Safari snorkel * Garvin rack * Gobi ladder * Hi-lift jack *AVS vents * ScubaDriver * PD blackout * SCWFJ side logo
Interior:
Husky * Clazzio * DIY rear door storage
Electronics:
Cobra 75 WXST * KW-TH72A * Rock cams * LED interior lighting * Wolo horn * Dual batt. * ARB OBA
KF7WGI
TLCA: 21028
Exceptional vendors for quality/service
Ricochet * Sparks Toyota * Discount Tire * TRDParts4u
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 07:04 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage

You missing any plugs? I go on 2 tracks all the time and wheel on the dunes a lot. No dust entering my FJ except for when the windows are down.

2011 Army Green FJ w/ Plasti Dip
Daystar lift/level kit : Nitto Trail Grappler 285/75/17 (34x11.5) : TRD CAI / TRD exhaust : DeMello Hybrid Sliders : DeMello 3 hoop evil eye bumper w/ Acro lights : RS9500 wireless winch : OEM roof rack : 15# co2 power tank : Expedition One washer fluid tank : Bushwacker Pocket Flares : Airdam w/ PIAA 540 : Big Bill's CB combo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 07:15 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)

Like volrath said; I'd be looking for a missing plug or two. There are two big vents located behind the plastic panels aft of the rear fenders, but I'm not sure if they could be letting dust like that in. I think they're like louver flaps, I've just seen pictures of them on the forum. I wonder if the flaps are even there? Mine doesn't ever accumulate dust in the jack compartment. I think syncitizen made a good point, or good advice too; when you're on a dusty trail keep your blower on to pressurize the cabin...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 07:26 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Yeah - no dust here - and believe me, I SHOULD be getting dust. And the recycled air is what I always use - maybe that is keeping the dust out.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 09:29 PM
Forum Master

Definitely check the plugs, there are a number of them on the floor of the jack compartment. Could be a missing plug. As mentioned above there is a one way air escape behind each plastic rear panel beneath the tail lights. They are soft flip panels that shouldn't be letting much dust in.

What you do speaks so loudly, I cannot hear what you say.

Illegitimi non carborundum.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 09:37 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
I have tons of dust because my windows are never rolled up, Freedom window is always out, and I'm tearing up super-dusty dirt roads everyday. The blowback dust into the front windows is the worst! even when I gun it to outrun it!

A California Duster is a lifesaver to dust the entire interior including seats. I have the small and large and "wash" my old Gto with it since its usually resting.

• 2007 Voodoo 6MT
  • AllPro Walker Evans lift
  • AllPro Uniball UCAs
  • Allpro Rear Lower Links
  • Allpro Roof Rack
  • LCNW Front Tube Bumper
  • LCNW Rear Tube Bumper
  • Warn 9.5 TI Winch with Syn Line
  • Stealth Custom Series Matte Bronze Wheels
  • 285 70 17 Duratracs
  • URD 6MT Quickshifter
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 09:47 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1868 Post(s)

There is 1 plug tucked up behind each mud flap up under the the rear bumper wings. I was messing with my rear mud flaps this weekend and one pretty much volunteered itself out on me. I couldn't tell easily where it came from so I looked at the other side to figure out where to put it back. I'd bet you lost the one on the driver side, as the jack compartment is right above there this plug came out on me.

Take a look up under there. You should see a plug (or hole) with a large flat tab, or about a 1 inch hole where youre supposed to have the plug. You should be able to use the other side for reference.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 08:44 PM
Forum Regular

I agree with the others, no dust in my '08 unless windows are down.

'08 TT/SE, 6-MT w/TRD Short Shifter, Conv. Grp., Hitch, BlueConnect, Roof Rack, Rear Net, 3" Front/1.5" Rear Lift, 285/75/16 Terra Grapplers, V-1 Detector, Garmin Nuvi 5000 connected to SANYO CCA-BC200 Camera, Hi/Lo 6K HID's, DRL Resistor Disconnect, Putco LED Dome Upgrade, Abrams M-1 (Gun Blue), Tuffy Locking Center Console, Wet Okoles [Black w/"FJ Cruiser" in White], Homelink in Air Duct, Yellow LEDs in bottom of A/C Console to light switch panel & shifter area, Custom Carpeted 36"x 48"x .75" MDF Rear Shelf for my sweet Beagle to lay on so she can see out...
'06 Jeep SRT-8, '02 BMW M3 'Vert, '03 Hummer H2, '03 Blue Z-06, & my '70 Dodge SuperBee..440 6/Pk..4-Speed..Sublime Green
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 10:37 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)

FJs have a cabin air filter. Keep your windows uup and your fan on and it will pressurize the cab and keep McNasties out. You may want to upgrade the filter to a Hepa of some sort since the stock filter is used mainly to catch squirrels and chipmunks and little else.

Army Green 2011 NSSE (Option Package 3) w/ Tribal Graphics

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > I'd Like to Tell Toyota...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in