Idea for the suicide rear door - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
I'd Like to Tell Toyota... This is for constructive suggestions to be made to Toyota regarding the FJ Cruiser. This is a flame free forum and heavily moderated.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 02:21 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Re: Idea for the suicide rear door

...Wow

08 sandstorm . blacked-out except White Bezel . Toytech BOSS 3" lift . camburg UCA's . 33" BFG A/T . Demello aluminum 3 hoop front bumper . Warn M800S . KC 6" HID pencil's . Acro fog lights . Brite Box . wilderness expedition rack . hi-lift . all pro sliders . jvc touch HU . sirius . cobra cb . ARB Onboard Air . Tuffy center console . Putco LED domes . Hella super tone horns . Expedition One rear swing out Bumper . Baja Designs Rear Lights . more to come ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 02:34 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to elDiablo Send a message via Skype™ to elDiablo

meh, i just make the kids get out through the back door, lol, just kidding, we've had our moments of getting boxed in there, especially when the kiddos have backpacks, there's no easy way out...

2012 Trail Teams Edition FJ
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 02:46 PM
Forum Superstar

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Datajockeys previously said: View Post
eeewwwww! Get a mini-van!
Oh hell yeah!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 03:06 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 61 Post(s)

Quote:
Hemi71cuda previously said: View Post
The problem is not that you can't open the back door when there is a car next to you. It's that will both doors open you're boxed in with no way to get out.
Quote:
Hindsight previously said: View Post
Actually that is not true....years ago when Chevrolet showed concepts of the extended cab pick up trucks with 3rd doors, the design was very similar to what is described.

I will see if I can dig up some pictures, it was a cool and functional design.

Doc
Are you quoting the right person Doc? Because you can't tell me my statement is not true. I've been trapped between the doors several times. If you're empty handed it's not a problem but if you've got something to carry like a box, laundry basket, several shopping bags, baby in a carrier or another person there's no way to maneuver out of the way to get the suicide door closed.
I can't say I'm advocating for the minivan doors, just agreeing that the design can be a problem in certain situations.

2007 VooDoo 4x4 Auto - LOADED
OEM Roof Rack, TRD Exhaust
Ricochet bash plate, PureFJ sliders
Manik brush guard w/ Blitz 240s
Add'l 12v outlets, Scuba Mod, Amaesing hood decal.
08-09 side sun visors
265 Duratrac's on Raceline Rockcrusher. Bilstein 5100's front and long travel rear.
Backup Camera w/ 7" monitor
Power rear window mod
Hemi71cuda's Build
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 03:10 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)

Quote:
Are you quoting the right person Doc? Because you can't tell me my statement is not true. I've been trapped between the doors several times. If you're empty handed it's not a problem but if you've got something to carry like a box, laundry basket, several shopping bags, baby in a carrier or another person there's no way to maneuver out of the way to get the suicide door closed.
I can't say I'm advocating for the minivan doors, just agreeing that the design can be a problem in certain situations.
Car seat, easy, I pul it out the back, set it in the front seat, close the rear door, and grab my stuff and walk off. I can see where the rear door can be an inconvenience, but I have yet to be boxed in even in situations where I'm so close to the car next to me I can't even let the door all the way out. But I am also a slender guy. I can see where larger people would have trouble.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 03:18 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 61 Post(s)

Quote:
cogswell previously said: View Post
Car seat, easy, I pul it out the back, set it in the front seat, close the rear door, and grab my stuff and walk off. I can see where the rear door can be an inconvenience, but I have yet to be boxed in even in situations where I'm so close to the car next to me I can't even let the door all the way out. But I am also a slender guy. I can see where larger people would have trouble.
I was guessing on the car seat, I have no kids. I'm slim too and have done the trick of moving things up onto the driver seat. But I know there have been a few occasions where I couldn't get out with my stuff in my parking garage... it must have been the laundry basket. If there's a car on the other side too I think I've had to throw my **** over the back seat and get it out of the cargo area.

2007 VooDoo 4x4 Auto - LOADED
OEM Roof Rack, TRD Exhaust
Ricochet bash plate, PureFJ sliders
Manik brush guard w/ Blitz 240s
Add'l 12v outlets, Scuba Mod, Amaesing hood decal.
08-09 side sun visors
265 Duratrac's on Raceline Rockcrusher. Bilstein 5100's front and long travel rear.
Backup Camera w/ 7" monitor
Power rear window mod
Hemi71cuda's Build
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 09:48 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)

Quote:
Tonka Cruiser previously said: View Post
It sounds good, but if you look at a minivan you will notice there is a track that runs the rear length of the van. You would have to create that track. No small task.
Quote:
No, I was quoting the reply above

I have had no luck finding a picture but it was when the initially started adding doors to extracabs

Doc
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 11:10 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Sonny Fusion previously said: View Post
...This would let the 4runner be a unibody grocery getter (as we all know is coming) and leave a true 4 door body on frame, off-road suv for us purists.
I disagree. Unlike the U.S. Domestic manufacturers, Toyota has managed to keep the 4Runner as body-on-frame because they have the Highlander to satisfy the Unibody SUV market demand.

I think it's much more likely that the 4Runner would simply go away altogether before Toyota would re-engineer it as a Unibody and try to sell it alongside the Highlander. The Highlander has enough brand-recognition now as their 'comfy' mid-sizer that I don't feel they would drop it. None of these scenarios makes sense $$-wise except for the 4Runner just going away.

Nissan has a similar situation now with the Xterra/Pathfinder.

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 04:13 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
SWITAWI previously said: View Post
I disagree. Unlike the U.S. Domestic manufacturers, Toyota has managed to keep the 4Runner as body-on-frame because they have the Highlander to satisfy the Unibody SUV market demand.

I think it's much more likely that the 4Runner would simply go away altogether before Toyota would re-engineer it as a Unibody and try to sell it alongside the Highlander. The Highlander has enough brand-recognition now as their 'comfy' mid-sizer that I don't feel they would drop it. None of these scenarios makes sense $$-wise except for the 4Runner just going away.

Nissan has a similar situation now with the Xterra/Pathfinder.

If they made the 4skin in an MT I would have bought that instead, more than likely.. Primarily because I need more seating and space.. The 3rd row seat add on in the FJ is just going to use up all of my available cargo space.. Oh well, I guess I'll be hauling a camper one day, so it won't matter too much.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 07:58 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)

New GM trucks suicide opens all the way back which works well i find.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > I'd Like to Tell Toyota...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in