A few things to ponder... - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
I'd Like to Tell Toyota... This is for constructive suggestions to be made to Toyota regarding the FJ Cruiser. This is a flame free forum and heavily moderated.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: A few things to ponder...

Quote:
Tray previously said: View Post
This Light In Sight helped me a ton being able to see the stoplights, as I'm 6'4" and no matter how far back I lay the seat I still couldn't see about 80% of the streetlights. Now - no more laying in my passengers lap.
This works well for me also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Forum Gunsmith

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2319 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Since they haven't got any in inventory, does anyone else make a product like that? I needed one like yesterday.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 05:47 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)

Quote:
Ronin877 previously said: View Post
Since they haven't got any in inventory, does anyone else make a product like that? I needed one like yesterday.
First time to see this myself...out of all the issues you mention on your list...this rubber necking sideways to see a traffic signal annoys me most.

I will certainly buy this once it's back in stock!

Most things you mention on your list is the most popular issues that Toyota could have offered as a option or thrown in as standard equipment. You figure with Sevin years of production and a huge FJ following you'd think some change would been made?

I guess I really don't mind modding my FJ myself...I did recently purchase solar panels from Northern Tool as they are holding a great sale on Amorphorus high efficiency solar panels. I figure 3 twenty watt panels can go along way in keeping 3 large group 34 deep cycle batteries topped off. I plan to mount them with rubber grommets to the roof slats.

Fabtech 6" 20'BBS
Cooper STT 37" M/T,2:00 spacers,Bushwhackers,Toy All pro M-1 bumper,All Pro Air Dam & sliders PIAA 540
Snorkal, Manik tailight guards,Midland 75-822, Bandi 3' fire stick, K & N filter,Locker on demand, ATrac hack, VSC & DRL switches, TRD Cat back, Scuba Mod, Garmin Nuvi, BlueSeas 6 fuse block,10.5K Recon Winch,Dual battery,leather seats,dual factory DVD players, Diamond trim, Source 10lb, Rubber mats. Swingout bumper,Mad Dog armor, EBC rotors,TRD pads,T-Rex grill,Yukon4:56
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Forum Gunsmith

(Thread Starter)

Awhile back ago after the hurricanes hit us in 2004 and I was sitting in my patrol car for the only air conditioning available I had the notion to build a homemade battery operated system for a small room that ran only on D cells, charger pack or solar cells. At first, it was just a battery operated fan with the copper tubing wrapped around it and a small fish pump that was battery operated that siphoned ice water from a cheap small cooler.

Then the project got bigger. I found a small radiator and used the same principles in mind and then although efficient, it drained the batteries faster so I improvised with solar cells. This kept up quite well during the storms that knocked out our power for a day or so. Then I started thinking of a way to maximize ancient evaporative cooling versus conducted cooling within a 6 man tent for those days where it got a bit warmer...

Then both of the ideas came into play. I got the battery operated fan to mount on the top of the tent to blow downwards with the sump cooler but the whole operation is solar powered and continuously charged by the battery cells that I've maintained during the day. With a little help of an engineer, we strapped on a small thermostat so we can maintain a certain temperature during the night. Plus I collected about five emergency blankets and had an insulated cover built for the tent. It's kind of like those solar windshield protector things...it's about the same depth. I have to admit, for a shoe string budget and some creative thinking, one can make some pretty neat stuff for austere conditions.

The greatest thing is that the solar cells and charger that I use for this AC unit can also be integrated into powering up many other things in the field. From laptops, wi-fi extenders, players of all types...the next thing I'd like to build with the FJ in mind is a mount to reuse an old satellite dish as the ultimate wi-fi extender out in the field. If I could get it to rotate, it would look like an old school radar and a legit target of opportunity from the air.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Forum Gunsmith

(Thread Starter)
Exclamation Re: A few things to ponder...

Quote:
fj6high previously said: View Post
First time to see this myself...out of all the issues you mention on your list...this rubber necking sideways to see a traffic signal annoys me most.

I will certainly buy this once it's back in stock!

Most things you mention on your list is the most popular issues that Toyota could have offered as a option or thrown in as standard equipment. You figure with Sevin years of production and a huge FJ following you'd think some change would been made?

I guess I really don't mind modding my FJ myself...I did recently purchase solar panels from Northern Tool as they are holding a great sale on Amorphorus high efficiency solar panels. I figure 3 twenty watt panels can go along way in keeping 3 large group 34 deep cycle batteries topped off. I plan to mount them with rubber grommets to the roof slats.
I just spoke to the company. They said the the particular 3M plastic was no longer available in the US so they had to negotiate a foreign supplier. They told me that at the very least, we should check back again in mid June to see if they are available.

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Forum Gunsmith

(Thread Starter)

Just as a heads up (no pun intended) I spoke and ordered my LightInSight Fresnel lens today. It seems that they are up and running again.

For those that don't know what we're talking about here's the scoop. If you're taller than 6' like me you know that our FJ's line of sight is a bit low to properly see stoplights when you're stopped at the light. Instead of bending down to see the light, this lens will adhere to the top inside of the windshield and will let you see the light without bending over.

Here's the website; https://lightinsight.webfeatsecurity.com/work.aspx

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > I'd Like to Tell Toyota...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in