Make a radio that follows MP3 standards - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
I'd Like to Tell Toyota... This is for constructive suggestions to be made to Toyota regarding the FJ Cruiser. This is a flame free forum and heavily moderated.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Re: Make a radio that follows MP3 standards

I'm going to try the iSimple route, the adapter that plugs into the radios harness and plays iPhones, iPods, etc. They worked well on my other trucks.

Never give a monkey a loaded gun, no matter how responsible you think he is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 05:43 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)

Why are you ripping a cd to MP3? Sounds like you know a bit about audio so I am confused why you are using that format.

There are also different types of MP3.

What types of MP3 are you using? Variable or constant bitrate?

Thanks to all the locals who have offered great deals and help to make my build possible!

KCMP BUILD THREAD
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 10:03 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Garage

I use an old ipod touch with mine and haven't noticed any issues with it, but I've been wanting to switch to a portable HD though just so I can carry my entire catalog with me. I'll have to watch for this issue when I make the switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
KC Masterpiece previously said: View Post
Why are you ripping a cd to MP3? Sounds like you know a bit about audio so I am confused why you are using that format.

There are also different types of MP3.

What types of MP3 are you using? Variable or constant bitrate?
Well, because almost all of my music collection is on CD's or vinyl. I'm an oldster with an oldster's music collection. Why buy the music all over again? Plus, some of my music is rare and older, like some great movie soundtracks that I had to digitize from my vinyl record collection, stuff that isn't even on iTunes or Amazon. As for the bit-rate, I think it's constant for the program that I'm using, which is Foobar using the LAME MP3 codec, although I'd have to go back and play with it to see for sure. I'm also encoding from lossless .WAV files, which are too large to fit on a stick with the number of songs I have. In the FJ, I can't tell the difference in quality anyway and the LAME encoder does a pretty good job of maintaining quality, even if MP3 is lossy. By the way, if anyone wants to really give their factory subwoofer a good test, the soundtrack from Tron Legacy really made my FJ thump, and that was one I ripped from a CD.

Since the radio in my FJ doesn't go down beyond 2 folders, I had to use foobar to take all the songs on the record album that I liked and create one long MP3, so that I could at least play the songs in the same order as on the vinyl record. You lose the particular song name that way, but at least I have the title of the soundtrack showing and playing in the right order.

Army Green 2011 FJ. My baby, the green strange beast.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > I'd Like to Tell Toyota...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in