Weak & wear on arm rest - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
I'd Like to Tell Toyota... This is for constructive suggestions to be made to Toyota regarding the FJ Cruiser. This is a flame free forum and heavily moderated.

5Likes
  • 1 Post By FJCroozer
  • 4 Post By Backlash

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Weak & wear on arm rest

Arm rest could stand to be a bit more durable. Four years and the padding is deformed and I'm ready to replace the whole arm rest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Re: Weak & wear on arm rest

Mine hasn't gotten that bad yet but I consciously avoid putting my arm on the armrest because I know it will wear very quickly if I don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Two_Eye likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 04:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

If the upholstery material is still in good shape, it's actually a pretty easy fix.
Remove the arm rest, and pull the cover off like taking a sock off inside out. Trim off the worn foam with a razor knife so it's a fairly flat surface on top. Leave the lower portion as is.
I happened to have an old closed cell foam exorcise mat about 3/4" thick, but any piece of dense foam would work...packing foam...whatever??
Lay it upside down on the foam and trace around it. An electric knife works great for cutting about any kind of foam.
Hot glue the piece to the top of the rest, and with the elec. knife or a 4" grinder with a flap wheel, round the edges over and clean up the shape.
It doesn't have to be pretty, it will be covered.
Invert the cover and pull it back on. ( It may have to go off and on a couple of times, to trim the foam to fit.) Re-install.

Hope this helps.
Bar3K, Two_Eye, FatJohnson and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Great info Backlash. Thanks for the reply. ��

I'll give that a try.

2012 FJ TT with high quality upgrades to make it an even more reliable and capable wheeler but still be a daily driver.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 10:09 AM
4-Corners Moderator

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Backlash previously said: View Post
If the upholstery material is still in good shape, it's actually a pretty easy fix.
Remove the arm rest, and pull the cover off like taking a sock off inside out. Trim off the worn foam with a razor knife so it's a fairly flat surface on top. Leave the lower portion as is.
I happened to have an old closed cell foam exorcise mat about 3/4" thick, but any piece of dense foam would work...packing foam...whatever??
Lay it upside down on the foam and trace around it. An electric knife works great for cutting about any kind of foam.
Hot glue the piece to the top of the rest, and with the elec. knife or a 4" grinder with a flap wheel, round the edges over and clean up the shape.
Invert the cover and pull it back on. ( It may have to go off and on a couple of times, to trim the foam to fit.) Re-install.

Hope this helps.
Yeah this is great info! My driver's side arm rest is pretty depressing right now compared to the armrest in my last FJ that was in great condition. It's almost impossible too to find a driver's side arm rest replacement so I may look into doing this! Or possibly having an upholstery shop do it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

interested to know more... think mine are about worn too
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 08:55 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:

Hope this helps.
Win^^^^^

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thank you for this! My drivers arm rest was filthy (so dirty/greasy it was shiny!) and felt like metal was poking though the fabric. I disassembled and washed the cover in the washing machine. I cut new top foam out of a pool noodle and reassembled as described below. Looks and feels like new - thanks for saving me $100!

Quote:

Hope this helps.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > I'd Like to Tell Toyota...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in