Better noise insulation - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
I'd Like to Tell Toyota... This is for constructive suggestions to be made to Toyota regarding the FJ Cruiser. This is a flame free forum and heavily moderated.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Better noise insulation

If more insulation was installed in the doors, side panels, and especially the roof, the cabin would be a lot quieter.

Also, maybe as an option, bedliner-type undercoating on the bottom of the vehicle?

Dennis' Titanium 'Bird of Prey':
'08 Titanium 4X4; AT; LD; A-Trac; Cobra CB radio & Bandi-mount mini whip; Yaesu FT-7800R HAM radio & Comet SBB7 hatch-mounted 5/8 wave antenna Call Sign: KE5WTX; Toyota extra horn mod; BajaRack Exp roof rack; 295/70/16 Hankook Dynapro MT tires; Factory off-road 16" alloys; OME 884 front coils & N140S shocks, ToyTec Medium rear coils, OME N71E rear shocks; SCUBA breather mod; Steel sway bar collars; Digger upper and lower rear links; Rasta4x4 skids; Metal Tech step sliders & front tube bumper; Hella 500's Future Mods: Cloaking Device, Disruptors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 09:17 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Re: Better noise insulation

I'm thinking about spraying under the cargo area with undercoating. Ron

Quote:
JoeUser previously said: View Post
If more insulation was installed in the doors, side panels, and especially the roof, the cabin would be a lot quieter.

Also, maybe as an option, bedliner-type undercoating on the bottom of the vehicle?

Ain't no pockets on a shroud
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
kokopelli previously said: View Post
I'm thinking about spraying under the cargo area with undercoating. Ron
I've heard (heh, pun intended) that that is a major source of road noise, just due to the "echo chamber"-like properties of the space back there. Kind of like an inverted bowl, facing the road surface.

I plan to do the same (it's on the to-do list). If you end up doing it before me, post up how many spray cans it took...

Dennis' Titanium 'Bird of Prey':
'08 Titanium 4X4; AT; LD; A-Trac; Cobra CB radio & Bandi-mount mini whip; Yaesu FT-7800R HAM radio & Comet SBB7 hatch-mounted 5/8 wave antenna Call Sign: KE5WTX; Toyota extra horn mod; BajaRack Exp roof rack; 295/70/16 Hankook Dynapro MT tires; Factory off-road 16" alloys; OME 884 front coils & N140S shocks, ToyTec Medium rear coils, OME N71E rear shocks; SCUBA breather mod; Steel sway bar collars; Digger upper and lower rear links; Rasta4x4 skids; Metal Tech step sliders & front tube bumper; Hella 500's Future Mods: Cloaking Device, Disruptors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 09:36 AM
Forum Superstar

Will do.. I posted a few days ago about my rain experience. First time I had driven it in the rain with the wife and she says "your back door is open".. I listened and it did sound like it was not closed. Normally I drive alone and with the radio on, so I hadn't noticed. Anyhow, I checked the door and it was fine. The cargo area is like a giant speaker and sounded like someone was power washing the bottom.

I've sprayed a lot of undercoating in my time and the stuff is nasty. I'm thinking that this time I'll mask off the entire area with newspaper, wear a mask and just crawl under there to do it. I don't want it floating around and attaching to anything else.. Ron

Quote:
I've heard (heh, pun intended) that that is a major source of road noise, just due to the "echo chamber"-like properties of the space back there. Kind of like an inverted bowl, facing the road surface.

I plan to do the same (it's on the to-do list). If you end up doing it before me, post up how many spray cans it took...

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 11:48 AM
Forum Superstar

Sean K mentioned something on another thread today that I hadn't thought about.. heat! The tailpipe will have to be a consideration. bandi caught his on fire, almost.. too.. I'm going to look at all this over the weekend.. Ron

Quote:

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i have a roof rack on mine and while beaming down the highway it sounds as though my windows are down or as mentioned before a door was open.. the lond humming sound is a bit annoying trying to talk with buddies in the truck..
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 10:10 AM

Anyone have any thoughts on whether putting underhood insulation would help lessen engine-related noise?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 11:39 PM

I'm really surprised to hear there are noise complaints with the FJ considering the nature of the vehicle. I've had Jeeps, Disco's, 4 Runners, last a Dodge 4X4 Hemi 2500, and I was really impressed at the quietness of my FJ which is what sold me on it. I drove an 08 4 Runner with a V8 and the FJ the same day, I admit the 4 Runner was a bit more quiet, but not much. The FJ impressed me at the power (V6 vs V8 in the Runner) and the thing I noticed most was the quietness of the ride....for a purpose built vehicle of course. The Hemi Ram believe it or not with mods was not a night and day difference to the FJ. 0-60 differed by only 1.35 seconds and I had a cold air intake and Dynomax exhaust/Superchips Hyperpaq to run the way it did. I felt the FJ was a good compromise even though it didn't rumble like the Dodge (which most don't like). The need for anything other then natural aspiration for power pushes into hot rod territory unlless you're running 35's or larger without gears.

A good point mentioned was the "roof rack noise". I have every option on my FJ but the roof rack, and wanted to add a "rack" until the comment was made about noise. My question is what is the best rack with the least noise on the road and MPG's is the next question. My biggest complaint by far is the 16 gallon (approx) fuel tank that I don't think anyones mentioned (could be wrong), I gass the FJ more then the Dodge that got 14MPG with Multi Displacement. Even an 18 gallon would be great.

My FJ is great other then that, I'm impressed it's as quiet as it is with the upright windplow design. I'm really woried about the windshield/crackage now reading other posts. I love it but noise would be the last thing I'd complain about!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 05:40 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to DOCCRUZ

I had my FJ undercoated at the dealer. They use under armor with lifetime warranty. Made it much quiter and no rust.

2008 FJ Cruiser Black Diamond 4X4 Option 2, factory hitch, Roof Rack, Sirius Install, Garmin 680, SkyCrapper 3 inch w/struts.Toyo Open Country 285/70/17 on Factory Alloys. SpyderTrax, Rock Rails, Tailight Guards, Stone Guards on headlights. GearType Razor Wings.BushWackers, TRD exhaust.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > I'd Like to Tell Toyota...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in