Breather locations & sealed pulleys - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
I'd Like to Tell Toyota... This is for constructive suggestions to be made to Toyota regarding the FJ Cruiser. This is a flame free forum and heavily moderated.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to skorp62
(Thread Starter)
Breather locations & sealed pulleys

If they advertise a deep fording depth for the stock vehicle, they need to relocate all breathers above that line - preferably as high as possible. This is a fairly simple mod and many of us have already done it, but it would be even simpler to redesign the breather locations in the stock setup.

The pulleys that get damaged as a result of water fording also come to mind. A good place to invest a little more for quality stock parts that will increase the reliability and water survivability of the vehicle. They have come very close to making one of the most rugged vehicles available and a few minor improvements will help greatly.

'07 Sun Fusion Yellow FJC, 17" Alloy wheels and stock Dunlops, Predator style step/rock rails, roof rack, leather seats and rubber floor mats.
Additions: USMC tire cover, Red "bling" skid plate and FJ Cruiser decals, Scuba Driver mod, Manik black tail-light guards, Galaxy DX959 CB, Acquired some 16" Taco rims - trying to get some "mudder shoes"
Central Florida area - FLCA #207 http://www.flca.org
"Here comes the Coyote!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 10:49 AM
Forum Veteran

Re: Breather locations & sealed pulleys

i agree with the new pulleys, they are necessary.

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Team Edition 6MT 4x4

The mod bug.. Sucks when you get bit. But feels so good to itch it.
Flick photos FJ Bruisers
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 03:01 PM
Forum Regular

x2

I cant agree with this more considering that i am one of the individuals who now has a new transmission in his vehicle due to the poor location of the breathers as well as new pulleys.

In addition to the relocation/quality improvement of these pieces, I think it is crucial that Toyota makes sure that their staff is properly trained on these issues as well. I could have saved a lot of time and anger if the "Field service Engineer" knew what he was talking about. When my transmission was damaged, I pointed out the breathers that are already positioned high up in the engine bay and was never corrected by the Engineer that should have known this vehicle inside and out. Had he known, he could have pointed out where the breathers really are and I would have gone through insurance from the start. This would have saved everyone involved time, money, and agrivation.

I love my truck and will continue to use it the way it was intended.

I will not however buy another Toyota considering the lack of product knowledge and support for their customers.

2007 FJ Cruiser Sun Fusion, OEM roof rack, rock rails, tow hitch, locking rear diff., OME med. lift front and rear, Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs 285/75R16, 16" Wheelers offroad black steelies w/ 4.0" backspacing, wolo powerhouse air horn, Body Graphics, Vent Visors, K&N cold air intake, JBA headers, Flowmaster super 44 offroad muffler, Expedition One trail series bull bar bumper, Warn M8000 winch, PIAA fog lights, full SCUBA mod, body mount chop, extra dome lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 05:14 PM
Forum Superstar

Agreed, they put one breather in the engine compartment, why don't they just put all the breather in a higher location. That would be a nice factory mod.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 05:35 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
FJCcrawler previously said: View Post
Agreed, they put one breather in the engine compartment, why don't they just put all the breather in a higher location. That would be a nice factory mod.
It's as if they knew it was an issue, but the placement of the breathers was on a friday and there was a party that night. So those crazy Japanese moved two breathers, said done, went out and drank too much saki, came in Monday morning, and said, moving on!!

2001 UZJ-100 Land Cruiser - 35" MTRs, ARBs fr/rr, 4.88s, ARB front, BIOR rear & skids, Radflo 2.5s, OME springs, 1" BL, WKOR rails, DT headers
1997 FZJ-80 Locked - Sold
2007 Supercharged FJ Cruiser - Sold
To see what me and Roux have been up to, check out our instagram page: Laytonsky
-Layton

TLCA# 20623
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 09:01 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to targa88

Quote:
logan9967 previously said: View Post
i agree with the new pulleys, they are necessary.
This would be an easy retrofit. Can't possibly imagine how many have been replaced under warranty (TSBs)...

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > I'd Like to Tell Toyota...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in