Post here if your TTUE has broken springs - Page 7 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
I'd Like to Tell Toyota... This is for constructive suggestions to be made to Toyota regarding the FJ Cruiser. This is a flame free forum and heavily moderated.

34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 10:47 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1333 Post(s)
Re: Post here if your TTUE has broken springs

Quote:
aeroeng previously said: View Post
(huge snip) Most likely these TTUE spring failures are from a combination of high localized stress at the ground end and corrosion.
Great to get input from someone who has hands-on experience with spring design and fabrication processes.

I agree with every point you raised, but the almost complete lack of reports of TTUE spring breakage (at least in this forum) from dry southwestern areas would seem to indicate that corrosion-accelerated fatigue cracking is the predominant failure mode, with high stress levels (common in small-diameter front suspension springs in heavy SUVs) being a secondary factor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Just had a spring crack (photo attached) on my 14 TTUE. 38k Miles in the northeast. As you can see there's minimal rust as i'm pretty particular about hosing the car off after being driven in the salt.

The fact that were experiencing this issue is quite frankly ridiculous. I know most will call me crazy but I don't take my FJ offroad and avoid potholes left and right. For reference my previous 07 which I bought new (14 I bought with 3k miles) I had my front brake pads last me 50k miles and tires 65k miles, so to say I baby the car is an understatement. The only reason I sold my 07 at 120k miles was it was starting to show some rust in the frame and I decided its best to get a "new" FJ now while I still can.

Noticed the issue when I started to feel my steering was a bit heavier and far more vague, along with a stiffer ride and worse handling. Of course the ride and handling are associated with the cracked spring, but has anyone experienced steering issues as a result of this as well?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	1086062  
post #63 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 06:10 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)

note that aeroeng pointed out that a microscopic point of rust, in the right place, can cause a spring to fail like that, so it certainly doesn't take much, in the case of these Eibach springs which have the high failure rate in the corrosion states

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Blaming these broken springs on rust is a huge disservice to those of us that had to pay for a faulty set of springs. My springs looked brand new except for the break. I have been driving for 50 years in the rust belt and these were the only broken springs I ever had. I also worked in a research lab that studied broken parts and I have taken courses in metallurgy, my springs were faulty!
BrewsterII likes this.

2014 FJ TTUE Auto Heritage Blue
post #65 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 09:13 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)

Quote:
GaryS previously said: View Post
Blaming these broken springs on rust is a huge disservice to those of us that had to pay for a faulty set of springs. My springs looked brand new except for the break. I have been driving for 50 years in the rust belt and these were the only broken springs I ever had. I also worked in a research lab that studied broken parts and I have taken courses in metallurgy, my springs were faulty!
I agree and I have always been a Bilstein user currently using TTUE suspension with Eibach springs. Speaks very poorly of German engineering as well as removes our confidence in them. Few years back the Mercedes team at Canning Stock suffered humiliation when five out of the six G Wagens suffered failures due to shocks and suspension, this time it was German built Mercedes OEM SACHS.
post #66 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 06:48 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1462 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey
Lifetime Supporting Member

Probably has nothing to do with German engineering. Eibach more than likely is building the coils to Toyota specs.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
post #67 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 02:07 PM
Forum Regular

How can adhering to a certain spec makes the coils break?
post #68 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 03:30 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1462 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey
Lifetime Supporting Member

The engineering spec maybe at the limits of the material properties, spec'd material chemistry etc maybe difficult to obtain from the mill.....al sorts of possibilities. See it everyday at work, Engineers who design by the book with no real work application.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
post #69 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 05:45 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
mikey previously said: View Post
The engineering spec maybe at the limits of the material properties, spec'd material chemistry etc maybe difficult to obtain from the mill.....al sorts of possibilities. See it everyday at work, Engineers who design by the book with no real work application.
Thats a valid point but in this case its the metallurgy and probably supply sources as well as there are other FJC with 6112 Bilstein and Eibach coils that don't suffer the same fate. Both use similar 650lb springs. My TTUE shocks came with black Eibach springs for that matter.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > I'd Like to Tell Toyota...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in