12 Volts Outlet - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
I'd Like to Tell Toyota... This is for constructive suggestions to be made to Toyota regarding the FJ Cruiser. This is a flame free forum and heavily moderated.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
12 Volts Outlet

Dear Respectable members of Toyota industries,

Why the heck isn't there another plug for the accessories that we own. i need at least a couple of other ones. when i asked my dealer he said that any addition to the electric system will void my warranty. man that really sucks.

please do add more plugs, and while you are at it please add a cigarette lighter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 11:39 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: 12 Volts Outlet

It would be nice to have a few more 12V plugs from the factory, but most guys on here just add their own 12V plugs.

07 BD FJC 4x4 6MT
Donahoe coilovers in the fr
Donahoe springs and shocks in the rr
285/75/r16 BFG M/Ts
gun metal TRD wheels
TRD exhaust
All Pro rock sliders
rr locker
A-trac
afe CAI kit
Pioneer Avic D3 navi
Sirius radio
HID headlights
Source 10# CO2 tank
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 03:20 AM

I guess I can understand TOYOTA not wanting every backyard wannabe mechanic splicing off their electrical system so we can run a few gadgets, BUT why don't they offer some simple mod kits that can be installed according to TOYOTA specs? That way we can run out toys and they can sell the kits!
I hate it whenever they threaten us with "Voiding our warranty"
I guess it's PIGTAILS for us... =)
http://www.slipperybrick.com/wp-cont...dapter-usb.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
(Thread Starter)

well

after a long discussion with the dealer, he told me to go buy an original 12V extension and stick it to my console. as a guy with an experience i know for a fact that those things ruin your wiring and overload the plug it self causing both of them to melt after a while.

what i have suggested was that ill drill in and install the plugs and me and the electrician will connect them with the proper fuses installed. and to my surprise they said that they do not do such a thing and that the electricians at toyota are not eligible to do such a thing...

FYI: ALJ Toyota is a share holder at Toyota Japan and they control the specs that the cars have when coming to us here in the Middle East... can you guys believe that the only FJ's we have here are called FJ1 and FJ2. we do not have neither the TT nor the TRD editions and the only real different between both of them are the E-Lockers :$

no 110 outlet, no intake allowed other than the one purchased at the dealer, no fog lights other than the one purchased at the dealer, no exhaust, no shocks, no brakes, no etc.... and they over charge those stuff to keep the warranty, if you buy any of them from elsewhere they will void the warranty, if you buy it from them and decide to install it at home it will void the warranty...

its a good thing that my Dad's company buys new cars " almost 250" a year, therefore i have leverage
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
(Thread Starter)

BTW scouter it does not work with the IPhone, that sucks too, u noticed that almost everything sucks for me, JK Thx for the add

I'm gonna buy a 3 plug socket with a good fuse and see where that takes me...

also I'm gonna start connecting my CB Radio tomorrow and hopefully that won't void my warranty
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 06:49 PM

Lifetime Supporting Member

Y'all DO understand that this point about "voiding the warranty" only applies to any failures that are directly caused by unauthorized modifications.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 07:25 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Talim previously said: View Post
well

after a long discussion with the dealer, he told me to go buy an original 12V extension and stick it to my console. as a guy with an experience i know for a fact that those things ruin your wiring and overload the plug it self causing both of them to melt after a while.

what i have suggested was that ill drill in and install the plugs and me and the electrician will connect them with the proper fuses installed. and to my surprise they said that they do not do such a thing and that the electricians at toyota are not eligible to do such a thing...

FYI: ALJ Toyota is a share holder at Toyota Japan and they control the specs that the cars have when coming to us here in the Middle East... can you guys believe that the only FJ's we have here are called FJ1 and FJ2. we do not have neither the TT nor the TRD editions and the only real different between both of them are the E-Lockers :$

no 110 outlet, no intake allowed other than the one purchased at the dealer, no fog lights other than the one purchased at the dealer, no exhaust, no shocks, no brakes, no etc.... and they over charge those stuff to keep the warranty, if you buy any of them from elsewhere they will void the warranty, if you buy it from them and decide to install it at home it will void the warranty...

its a good thing that my Dad's company buys new cars " almost 250" a year, therefore i have leverage
Read the threads on installing and extra 12 volt outlet in the front of the car. The fuse is set at like 20 amps or something. High enough to add on another 12 volt outlet tapped into the one above the aux input. Many people have done this (me included) and i have not seen anyone have an issue with it.

But yes, toyota should have definitely hooked us up with more outlets front and at least one in the rear.

2001 UZJ-100 Land Cruiser - 35" MTRs, ARBs fr/rr, 4.88s, ARB front, BIOR rear & skids, Radflo 2.5s, OME springs, 1" BL, WKOR rails, DT headers
1997 FZJ-80 Locked - Sold
2007 Supercharged FJ Cruiser - Sold
To see what me and Roux have been up to, check out our instagram page: Laytonsky
-Layton

TLCA# 20623
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 07:44 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
ajindfw previously said: View Post
Y'all DO understand that this point about "voiding the warranty" only applies to any failures that are directly caused by unauthorized modifications.
I'm not sure if that law applies in the Middle East. Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

Jeff B 07, 4X4, Blk, M/T, W/E adjustable, A/P H/D rear lower links, 285 70 17 BFG Mud, Thorley Headers, A/P front bumper, DO rear bumper, DO Sliders, Titan 10,000lb winch, Budbuilt skids, Kenwood DNN991HD, Reverse Cam, CDT Audio ES "braxial" 6 1/2 speakers w/upstage, Helix A2 amp, Galaxy DX 959 CB, Bandi mount, 102" whip antenna, ext spkr. from those now useful headliner spkrs. scan gauge II. Compustar alarm, stinger battery.
"If you don't like it, change it, if you can't change it, change the way you think about it."
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 08:12 PM
Forum Veteran

The 1 12v outlet uses a 10A fuse. So, you'd be OK with up to about 100 watts. An ipod, or other similar device will only use maybe 10 or so watts, so 2 or 3 is no problem. I don't know about an actual cigarette lighter, but the heat element probably uses more than 10A, so that wouldn't be good.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 05:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
rons8888 previously said: View Post
The 1 12v outlet uses a 10A fuse. So, you'd be OK with up to about 100 watts. An ipod, or other similar device will only use maybe 10 or so watts, so 2 or 3 is no problem. I don't know about an actual cigarette lighter, but the heat element probably uses more than 10A, so that wouldn't be good.
Well for the iPod charging solution you can always get an interface that plugs into the back of the radio like our kit does and it is a plug and play install. No need to splice and cut into wires. This is also going to let your radio give you full control of the iPod as well.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > I'd Like to Tell Toyota...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in