Trailer Brake Controller or At The Very Least the Wiring - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
I'd Like to Tell Toyota... This is for constructive suggestions to be made to Toyota regarding the FJ Cruiser. This is a flame free forum and heavily moderated.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 08:37 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Re: Trailer Brake Controller or At The Very Least the Wiring

Quote:
Michael1 previously said: View Post
I can't agree with you on this one. I can't think of any soccer moms who are going to hook up a trailer that they don't know how to tow just because there is trailer brake controller wiring.

I also disagree that "the short wheelbase of the FJ makes towing larger trailers kind of scary", unless you are talking about 30 footers. I've towed several trailers with mine now, and I am surprised at how well it pulls even larger ones. It's been 100% stable. I think one reason it does so well is the FJ has very short overhangs. The trailer doesn't get a lot of leverage on it.

Michael
The reason toyota doesn't include trailer wiring is because its initial purpose is not to tow trailers. People expect a full size truck to tow in the 9K range. Most trailer that people buy full size truck to tow with are going to weight 75% of the vehicles tow rating. And with most full size truks able to tow over 10,000 pounds no a days, it makes sence to have a factory brake controller. Most that use the FJ for towing purposes will be pulling on average a couple jet ski's, family boat, maybe a camper trailer. Most won't exceed 2500pd, and most boats come with hydrolic brakes witch doesnt require a 7 pin harness anyhow.

I had to install an aftermarket one after the purchase of a 14x7' cargo trailer and to be honest i was fine with that. If toyota were to offer one in the future thats fine. But this is not a tow vehicle. It does ok, but its not great. Sorry. Its just not. Boats are ok, but the 14x7 is biggest i'd go. Towed a 20 foot travel trailer once and it wasn't fun at all. But again, it wasn't initialy designed to tow.

Last edited by 5150 Cruiser; 02-26-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The fj towed my m1101 trailer like a champ up some decent trails
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

As opposed to wiring for a TB has anyone tried out any wireless ones??

Tekonsha Prodigy RF Wireless Trailer Brake Controller - 1 to 3 Axles - Proportional Tekonsha Brake Controller 90250

By the way don't forget a transmission cooler is a must as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 10:32 AM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 43 Post(s)

The problem with the Tekonsha wireless controller is that it still requires you to have a 7 pin hookup, something our FJ's don't have. I have a regular original Prodigy that is 10 years old, and the FJ will be the third vehicle I have used it in.

08 Supercharged TT

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > I'd Like to Tell Toyota...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in