Poor quality hardware/fasteners - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
I'd Like to Tell Toyota... This is for constructive suggestions to be made to Toyota regarding the FJ Cruiser. This is a flame free forum and heavily moderated.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
TRDSR5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Newark Ohio
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Poor quality hardware/fasteners

It seems alot of the brackets, nuts, bolts, fasteners, brake line fittings etc are all rusty. My 16 years old Ohio rust-belt 4Runner and 20 year old other Toyotas have hardware in better condition than a 2 year old FJ. Your plating and coatings have taken a serious quality dive. The seam welds all along the frame have already lost their coating and are rusty.
TRDSR5 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 12:15 AM
Forum Superstar
 
FJ FunJunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,734
Blog Entries: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Poor quality hardware/fasteners

Welcome to the world of cars made in last few years. Every year that passes is every year a company tries to save a buck. Cheaper, weaker, and cheaper and did I mention cheaper?. It's the way of the world my friend.

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic7470_2.gif
Quote:
cnckart previously said: View Post

Yup thieves are stupid, that's why they are thieves.
FJ FunJunkie is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 12:19 AM
Forum Regular
 
Sh!tyThePirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Poor quality hardware/fasteners

Is it worth it to scrap off the rust and paint over it....? I mean is the lil rust really going to hurt anything?
Sh!tyThePirate is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 12:23 AM
Forum Superstar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: salt lake
Posts: 5,507
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Re: Poor quality hardware/fasteners

well rust never sleeps, and its only going to get worse. Bust out the wire brush and rattle can.And post pics of the process.
cnckart is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
TRDSR5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Newark Ohio
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Poor quality hardware/fasteners

Quote:
Sh!tyThePirate previously said: View Post
Is it worth it to scrap off the rust and paint over it....? I mean is the lil rust really going to hurt anything?
At some point theses parts/nuts/bolts will have to come apart for repair or maintence. I'd rather use the tools intended for the fastener to get them as opposed to the torch, air saw or cut-off wheel. A rusty hatch strut bracket will drip rust stains on the paint in the door jamb...rust begets more rust.
TRDSR5 is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 04:35 AM
Forum Master
 
sephcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 1,387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Re: Poor quality hardware/fasteners

POR-15?

POR-15 Rust Preventive Paint-POR-15 Inc.

I've used it and have no complaints. It sticks to whatever you brush it on. I spilled a little on my driveway 8 years ago an it's still there.

Because you brush it on, you can be very selective where it goes.....unlike a rattle can.

2008 VDB, 4x4, Auto, Off-Road Package, Demello sliders, ToyTec/OME lift with Bilstein 5100's, Ricochet skids, All-Pro front and rear bumpers, OEM steelies with tires by www.treadwright.com, BajaRack, BlitzPro LED's

Look us up: www.fjbruisers.org
sephcm is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 05:58 AM
Forum Superstar
 
Woodsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Batesville, Indiana
Posts: 8,976
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Poor quality hardware/fasteners

Quote:
sephcm previously said: View Post
POR-15?

POR-15 Rust Preventive Paint-POR-15 Inc.

I've used it and have no complaints. It sticks to whatever you brush it on. I spilled a little on my driveway 8 years ago an it's still there.

Because you brush it on, you can be very selective where it goes.....unlike a rattle can.
That's the stuff. I too am upset at how quickly rust has formed under my FJ. My five year Chevy truck looks better than my 18 month old FJ and my FJ has seen minimal(if any) road salt whereas the Chevy is my daily driver. Luckily, my FJ is a toy and can be garaged most of the winter when salt is present. When I get a chance I do plan to touchup the worst spots.

FJ Summit Co-Director since 2013 email: james at fjsummit dot org

2008 Sandstorm FJ Cruiser
2019 White TRD Premium 4Runner

I am the Woodsman...the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.
Woodsman is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 08:09 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,712
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Re: Poor quality hardware/fasteners

Quote:
sephcm previously said: View Post
POR-15?

POR-15 Rust Preventive Paint-POR-15 Inc.

I've used it and have no complaints. It sticks to whatever you brush it on. I spilled a little on my driveway 8 years ago an it's still there.

Because you brush it on, you can be very selective where it goes.....unlike a rattle can.
I'm gonna get me some of that stuff. I've been told about it for years, but haven't found it. Well, it hasn't magically appeared in my garage... I haven't looked for it. But I'm going to now.

I rotated my wheels last night. Man, those studs are pure brown and the squeaking and crunching sounds as I unscrewed the lug nuts was bad. So, I grabbed my Remoil for cleaning my guns and blasted all the lugs.... they are the open ended type. Five minutes later I went back and the rest came off nice, smooth, and quiet. I have some serious rust issues to deal with. I wish they would just stop using road salt, or any ice melter for that matter. It really isn't that hard to drive on snow and ice. I've been doing it my whole life. You just need to learn to do it and practice. Completely unplowed roads with black ice are actually some of my favorite driving conditions.
Toledo FJ is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 09:21 AM
Forum Superstar
 
SKINUM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pound, Va
Posts: 3,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to SKINUM
Re: Poor quality hardware/fasteners

I have snapped 3 skid plate bolts off into the frame while trying to back them out to replace. The ones that actually came out were quite brittle.

It's not worth doing if you can't drop some f-bombs along the way!


THE BUILD OF SKINUM CLICK HERE TO VIEW
SKINUM is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 10:25 AM
Forum Master
 
sephcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 1,387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Re: Poor quality hardware/fasteners

Quote:
Toledo FJ previously said: View Post
I'm gonna get me some of that stuff. I've been told about it for years, but haven't found it. Well, it hasn't magically appeared in my garage... I haven't looked for it. But I'm going to now.

I rotated my wheels last night. Man, those studs are pure brown and the squeaking and crunching sounds as I unscrewed the lug nuts was bad. So, I grabbed my Remoil for cleaning my guns and blasted all the lugs.... they are the open ended type. Five minutes later I went back and the rest came off nice, smooth, and quiet. I have some serious rust issues to deal with. I wish they would just stop using road salt, or any ice melter for that matter. It really isn't that hard to drive on snow and ice. I've been doing it my whole life. You just need to learn to do it and practice. Completely unplowed roads with black ice are actually some of my favorite driving conditions.
Buy the little cans 'cause it doesn't keep very well once it's opened. Also buy the solvent 'cause nothing I had (paint thinner, acetone, rubbing alcohol, gasoline) would take it off my hands. It took a week for it to wear off my fingers.

I can see surface rust on the frame of my 2008 with 700 miles on it.

2008 VDB, 4x4, Auto, Off-Road Package, Demello sliders, ToyTec/OME lift with Bilstein 5100's, Ricochet skids, All-Pro front and rear bumpers, OEM steelies with tires by www.treadwright.com, BajaRack, BlitzPro LED's

Look us up: www.fjbruisers.org
sephcm is offline  
Reply

  Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > I'd Like to Tell Toyota...

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome