Vent Visor Preference: Stick on or Channel? - Page 6 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Interior / Exterior Visual Tech This section contains discussion related to visual modifications of the Toyota FJ Cruiser. Some items might include dash kits, roof rack modifications and other visual modifications.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 12:08 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Vent Visor Preference: Stick on or Channel?

Just purchased my first FJ and my question is how much wind is deflected from coming in using the visors? Is it significant enough that you would recommend putting them on?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

"El Jefe"
Vinyl Wrapped Roof and Black Out "Everything"
17" XD Addicts w/35/12.50/17 Nitto EXO Grapplers
AVS Vent Shades
ANZO Blinkers and Tail Lights
Toytec 3" Ultimate Lift
TC UCA's
Road Armor Titan Bumper and Grill / Rear Bumper
RF Complete Sound System
BajaRack's Drop In Roof Basket
BMC

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...adventure.html

( O ) TOYOTA ( O ) **

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 04:26 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to StHarris Send a message via Yahoo to StHarris

Anyone have the stick-ons from Aero Visor Industries?
Toyota FJ Cruiser 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 Window Deflectors with Logo Sun Visors | eBay

07 Sun Fusion [Magellan]
12 Radiant Red TTSE [Red Rider]
TLCA # 16633
DO Rocks!
post #53 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 06:35 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

I've tried both Weather Tech and AVS. Both in channel.
Wasn't impressed with quality control on either brand.

Plus, I always felt that the thickness of the plastic at the top of the window compromised the integrity of the wiper/seal at the bottom of the window maybe allowing excessive water intrusion ibto the innards of the door. This is not based on fact, but simply what I feel happens.

The extra noise created was annoying also.

I used to have some stick ons on my '87 1 ton Silverado that only covered the top of the window. No noise and I loved them.

Great if smoking cigarettes in the truck. Could crack the window when raining and stay dry.

I no longer smoke and prefer the relative quiet of using no vent visors.

Just my $.02.

THERE'S NO SUBSTITUTE FOR EXPERIENCE

Last edited by swamper; 09-22-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 09:57 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
bcheng4jc previously said: View Post
Weathertech in-channel ones suck. They don't use adhesive and are snug when you first install them. After a month it started to warp and get loose. I complained to weathertech and they sent me a new set. And again, a month later, they warped and got loose. They would chatter and move when I roll up and down my windows. I get fed up and bought some AVS stick-on ones from JC Whitney. The edges you might need to clean up a bit from the cutting during manufacturing. But besides that they stay on well and don't move around! Attachment 76796
Attachment 76797

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Same here, my Weathertech non adhesive ones are now all loose. You can easily pull them out with little effort when the window is down. Gunna switch to stick ons.

2011 Army Green TTSE. Mods: Boztek CB Mount, Cobra 75W CB with Firestik, Uniden BCT8 mounted on MPAC Saddle Rack, MPAC Cargo Side Rack, MPAC Rear Rack, Husky Liners, Scepter Cans Roof Mounted, Rugged Ridge Headlamp Guards, Body Armor Tail Lamp Guards, Warrior Shovel Mount, Baja Basket, Metal Tech Front Bumper with Bash Plate, Rigid Dually D2 Roof Rack Lights, Ellis Precision Knobs in Stealth Black, ARB Safari Snorkel
post #55 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 03:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thank you for this! I have been debating about which to go with and was about to go with the these, but this makes a good point....about the motor. It is something extra that the window is pulling up against or an additional item to pull against.

I've been researching both types, the in-channel and outside mounting ones, but this is the first I've read about possibly affecting the motor, which makes sense. I see alot of people saying that it will bump the window and go back down or on other threads, having to manually pull on the visors to get the window to go up. I ordered a set of both types because I was still uncertain as to which to go with and was just going to send the other pair back (whichever I decided against once seeing them). But I'm just going to have to get them both, look at them, and make the decision then. The amount of information here has been great! It helps alot!!!
post #56 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 06:04 AM
A-Team Moderator

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Quoted: 2631 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Stick-On, don't squish your window felts and add resistance to the motor with In-Channel.

2011 NSSE

トヨタ
post #57 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 06:22 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I've used both the stick-on and in-channel on different vehicles. Many pros and cons for each depending on preference, but I will get stick-on in the future because they seem to provide greater airflow while the vehicle is parked (without letting rain in). Cracking the window open while parked helps a lot with Florida heat and humidity.

2010 Iceberg 4x4
Convenience and Upgrade Packages
Curt Front Receiver, Scuba Driver Mod, Ricochet Skids, Husky Liners, Trail Gear Sliders, Wheeler's Offroad Daystar Lift\Leveling Kit, Interior LED Lights, Midland CB with Bandi Mount and 3' Firestick Firefly (102" whip on standby), Custom Rear Door Racks with QuickFists, Snorkel, Baja Basket, Cooper Discoverer AT3s 275/70/17 C-Load,

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Interior / Exterior Visual Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in