Vent Visor Preference: Stick on or Channel? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Interior / Exterior Visual Tech This section contains discussion related to visual modifications of the Toyota FJ Cruiser. Some items might include dash kits, roof rack modifications and other visual modifications.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Vent Visor Preference: Stick on or Channel?

Hey guys and gals,
I am looking for some vent visors for my FJ. I wanted some opinions on which is better, stick on or the in channel ones. I had the AVS stick on type on my 01 Blazer ZR2 and never had any problems but if I could get away without putting tape on my new FJ that sounds good too.

P.S. I read through all the other vent visor threads and this guy's post confused me:
"In channel AVS is what I installed and love them....fit tight...work great...and no sticky residue on paint or anything else. The snap in action holds in place and double side tape keeps them tight in channel......best style in my opinion."

It begins by saying he has the IN CHANNEL ones which I thought meant no sticky stuff, but then he says there's double sided tape.
Am I missing something?
I thought the AVS were the stick on ones and the weathertechs were the in channel no sticky stuff ones. Sorry for my confusion.

Thanks! Ryan

Be the person your dog thinks you are

2010 FJC: Fresco | 6MT | BajaRack | Challenger ATV Tool Box | TG Sliders | Blacked Front and Rear Bumpers | Blacked Mirrors | Black Tundra Handles | AVS Vent Visors | Husky Liners

1971 Chevelle: 350 | Tremec TKO 600 5 speed | 12 Bolt w/ 4.10s | MSD HEI Ignition | Edelbrock 4 Barrel | Flowmaster Exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 10:08 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Vent Visor Preference: Stick on or Channel?

AVS makes both the in-channel and the stick-on types.

I personally went with the Weathertech because I didn't want to mess with the tape. The vinyl wrap around the windows was my main reason. If somehow I were to mess up, not only would I have to worry about replacing the tape, I'd likely have to worry about either re-wrapping the black vinyl, or removing it and hoping everything was fully painted underneath (I read in one of the posts about removing the vinyl that someone had a partially painted section).

I snapped them in about 15 months ago and haven't worried about them since.

Not sure how often you get down the corridor, but I'd be happy to let you inspect mine if you're in the area (I'm just southeast of Highway 7 & I-25).

Just as with Toyota, my time with the FJ has ended. I miss it greatly but am now enjoying my new Ram Sport instead.
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 10:23 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I forget who makes mine, but I have the in-channel style. No real problems. Only issue is once in a blue moon, when I go to roll my driver's side window up, it will catch on the edge of the visor and wont go up any further. If that happens I just roll the window down an inch and roll it back up. These were already on my FJ when I bought it, but I've had the FJ about a year, and I've had it catch maybe 3 times. Even that is pushing it.

In-Channel gets my vote.

Chris

"It's lonely being a cannibal. Tough making friends."

2007 Black Diamond FJ Cruiser, Auto, 4wd, Toytec Ultimate 3" lift, Light Racing Upper Control Arms, TheToyOutfitters LCA, Procomp Series 87 Steelies Painted White, 285/75 R16 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws, Trail Gear Sliders, TheToyOutfitters Custom Front Bumper, Snorkel, Outrider Lower Link Armor
www.TRDParts4U.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 10:35 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

In-channel.

2010-FJ2WD--0058/11-CQ-RL-UR2-CA1-CR1-TWHR2-XY7-DH60- SS exhaust tip, door seal protectors,Weather tec vent visors, Husky floor liners, OEM AW cargo mat, OEM rock rail with step assist, GPS mirror mount, stealth fog lights, and OEM bug/rock shield. added second horn
Installed wesayso air dam.
2011 Forum Badge

Full custom Dyna Low Rider
09 Street Glide w/mods (The Old Man's Scooter)
97 F150 Lariat
04 Maxima SE
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Great, thanks. So do the in channel ones have any sort of tape/adhesive or do they simply "snap" in place?
Ryan

Be the person your dog thinks you are

2010 FJC: Fresco | 6MT | BajaRack | Challenger ATV Tool Box | TG Sliders | Blacked Front and Rear Bumpers | Blacked Mirrors | Black Tundra Handles | AVS Vent Visors | Husky Liners

1971 Chevelle: 350 | Tremec TKO 600 5 speed | 12 Bolt w/ 4.10s | MSD HEI Ignition | Edelbrock 4 Barrel | Flowmaster Exhaust
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 11:09 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have the AVS in-channel and am very happy with them. They have the double sided tape on the outer side of the visor.

08' Brick Blacked Out, RC6" Lift, Radflo Coilovers/shocks, Camburg UCA's, Trail Gear Sliders, General Red Letters 35x12.50x17, 17x9 Moto Metal Skull Wheels, Bushwacker Pocket Flares, Ricochet LCA Skids, FJTOYMAN Shock Skids, E-Locker Guard, Nitro 4.56 Gears, Spidertrax 1.25" Spacers, Rocky Mountain Custom Driveline, Toyoutfitter links, Demello Bumper, Viper 12,000lb Winch, KNN CAI, Edelbrock Cat-Back Exhaust, Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD Head Unit, Kicker 12" Sub/Box, Boston Acoustics Amp.
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 11:16 AM
fka rsidey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)

I roll with the in-channel and have no issues. Like Capt Sensible - there have been 2 or 3 occasions where the window has hit after riding on the highway with the windows down for an extended period but simply going down and back up solves it every time.

Whiskey - I like it, I always did, and that is the reason I never use it.
-Robert E. Lee
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 11:32 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
GA Traveller previously said: View Post
I roll with the in-channel and have no issues. Like Capt Sensible - there have been 2 or 3 occasions where the window has hit after riding on the highway with the windows down for an extended period but simply going down and back up solves it every time.
I have the same and agree 100%
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to fjessence

the in channels are the best

"Sand Ronin" 08' Sandstorm FJC
TRD Supercharged, Demello 3 hoop front bumper with Acro fogs and 22" LED bar, Demello 3 piece rear bumper with Acro fogs, 50" Curved OZUSA LED bar with Trailworx Fab A-Pillar mounts, Demello Hybrid sliders, All Pro engine skid, Fox 2.5" coilovers with reservoirs, Fox 2.0" rear shocks with reservoirs, 17" KMC Hoss wheels w 285 BFG KM2s

Sand Ronin Build Thread

-Sang
DO Rocks!
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)

I have the avs in channel. They are in channel but the do have some double sided tape to hold them in place. I like them and they have a more finished, smooth look.

>>>>>>>>>>2010armygreens slow build<<<<<<<<<<

>>>>>>>>ArmyGreens M416 Build<<<<<<<<

Garage
2010 FJ Army Green
2014 FJ Iceberg
M416 Trailer
Maggiolina Grand Tour Roof Top Tent

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Interior / Exterior Visual Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in