Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Rear Cargo Drawer Build

813K views 371 replies 158 participants last post by  Dennx 
#1 · (Edited)
Another member wanted a materials list and measurements, so here we go...

Materials List

2 3/4"4x8 Maple Plywood sheets (Lowes)
2 pairs 24" Fulterer 200lb# drawers slides
2 Battalion paddle latches
1 4-pack of Stanley 2" mending braces. (I double stacked these pieces of metal and used them as catches for each paddle latch.)
2 Stanley 7 1/2" turnbuckles
2 Stanley 2 1/2" eye bolts (for rear turnbuckle anchors)
2 quarts of Rustoleum flat black enamel
Diamond plated rubber matting. (I sourced this at a local shop, Industrial Metal Supply.)

Here is the original plans I drew up in SketchUp. I didn't add the sliding trays to keep it simple.

I glued and screwed all the pieces using 1 1/2" drywall screws and Elmers Probond wood glue. All screws were counter sunk then patched with Elmers Probond wood filler. I also used the wood filler to patch any voids in the wood, etc. All exposed edges are routed with a 3/8" roundover bit.

I test fitted the box in the FJ. The box is anchored using the existing tie-down holes in the front. The rear of the box is anchored using an eye bolt and small turnbuckle hooked to the tie-down d-rings.

After I built the box, I used it for exact measurements for the drawers instead of using the above plans. The real world dictates things don't always line up on paper.

The entire box and drawers are painted first with Killz primer and then Rustoleum flat black enamel. 2-3 coats on everything. If I did this again I would probably try a bedliner coating.

I switched out the above existing factory tie down with an shouldered eyebolt (M6x1.00).

I'm happy with the way they turned out. Also, since the drawers block the power outlet I got one of these to extend the outlet.

Amazon.com: 360-DEGREE ROTATING FLAT PLUG LIBERATOR, 18IN: Home Improvement

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: Rear Cargo Drawers

:rocker::bigthumb::cheers: Wow!!! :rocker::bigthumb::cheers:

That looks great!! Wish I had the skills / tools to do that!!

What would one charge to build that for someone? (HINT HINT HINT)

#7 ·

I really don't know what it is about those drawers that I like so much. There's really nothing special about them, other than outstanding craftsmanship. I guess that's probably it... the simplicity of it. Like I said before, "it looks like it grew there." The diamond-pattern mat really sets it off in both aesthetics and functionality; the slides are heavy and the latches are a perfect choice; the Allen-Head fasteners are a nice touch. All edges are "bevelled" (routed?), or sanded smooth, very nice job on that. Everything is symmetrical. The black paint looks thick and durable.
Very nice write-up, complete with parts list and prints, vendors and links... very, very nice. Thank you. :cheers:

#8 · (Edited)

Thanks everyone. Once in a while I like to build stuff and having the FJ is a perfect opportunity to do so. It has got me back into the garage and I'm enjoying every bit of it.

Tstormin, sorry these are one of a kind special edition limited series of 001. :bigthumb:
Psycho Billy, yes all edges are routed with a 3/8" round over bit.

#9 ·

how much to ship yours to me??? :) nice job!

#14 · (Edited)

how much to ship yours to me??? :) nice job!
Thanks! Shipping is $1k with white glove service. :lol:

Subscribed :)

Any interference with your rear door MPAC Rack?
At first there was, but I snugged them up tight and no interference now. I can also go up a notch on all the bags to make more room.

Subscribed for a future project. Great write up, and great job on the drawers!
Nice write up! This is going to be my next project. Thanks. :bigthumb:
Thanks guys! I appreciate all the compliments.:wave:

#10 ·

Subscribed :)

Any interference with your rear door MPAC Rack?

#23 ·

Subscribed for a future project. Great write up, and great job on the drawers!
Turnbuckles are a great way to secure the box in back and still leave room for some tie-downs.
Can't anchor it any more efficiently than that. It's perfect; the FJ should have had the exact same product in there to begin with. OK, as an option. Damn nice. :cheers:
I wonder if the OEM tie downs will bend after wheeling. I'll see if I can find some eye bolts that fit into the existing holes.

Thanks for all these compliments, you guys sure know how to make a guy blush. :lol: :bigthumb:

#19 ·

inspiring..... :bigthumb:

#33 ·

Can't anchor it any more efficiently than that. It's perfect; the FJ should have had the exact same product in there to begin with. OK, as an option. Damn nice. :cheers:
I disagree ..... Sorta i disagree with that because Toyota would charge $1000 for something that is no way as good as this one:lol: great job. I'm going to redo mine but soon but will no way be as good as this one:cheers:

#21 ·

After I built the box, I used it for exact measurements for the drawers instead of using the above plans. The real world dictates things don't always line up on paper.

[/url]
Wish I had read your write up before I built my box. That quote would've been worth it. Great job :bigthumb:

#24 ·

The box looks great!!

I really like the latches you used on the drawers. And the diamond plate make it look like a factory option.

I'm on my second generation of storage box.
The first one I built was just too heavy, and just not the right size to hold the items I wanted to carry.

So anyone going to build a box, do no do it this way.. :)
YASB-Yet Another Storage Box

The second box I build I used a lighter material, 3/4 MDF was just way overkill. I also optimized the drawers for storage capacity. I had specific items that I wanted to put in the box, that just didn't fit in the first one.

My portable compressor was the most important item that didn't fit. It was 1/4" too tall for my first box, so I made the second generation drawers deeper by changing material and air gap at the bottom.

Just my 2 cents for anyone getting ready to tackle a project like this, lay out the items you want to store and make sure the drawers are big enough.

Not the best picture.. but this is what it looks like now..

I had paint for the box and a stain for the drawer front color matched to the FJ Cruiser Brick. Just something different than the standard black.

My second box, like the first had holes in the top for screw in tie down points. They used a hidden nut installed from the bottom so I can remove them if they are not needed. I also found out this was a place to mount my high lift jack. Its not the easiest thing to remove this way, but provided a solid mount.

Dennx, the box looks great, keep up the good work... It looks like you could start a business on the side.. :clap:

#25 ·

The box looks great!!

I really like the latches you used on the drawers. And the diamond plate make it look like a factory option.

I'm on my second generation of storage box.
The first one I built was just too heavy, and just not the right size to hold the items I wanted to carry.

So anyone going to build a box, do no do it this way.. :)
YASB-Yet Another Storage Box

The second box I build I used a lighter material, 3/4 MDF was just way overkill. I also optimized the drawers for storage capacity. I had specific items that I wanted to put in the box, that just didn't fit in the first one.

My portable compressor was the most important item that didn't fit. It was 1/4" too tall for my first box, so I made the second generation drawers deeper by changing material and air gap at the bottom.

Just my 2 cents for anyone getting ready to tackle a project like this, lay out the items you want to store and make sure the drawers are big enough.

Not the best picture.. but this is what it looks like now..

I had paint for the box and a stain for the drawer front color matched to the FJ Cruiser Brick. Just something different than the standard black.

My second box, like the first had holes in the top for screw in tie down points. They used a hidden nut installed from the bottom so I can remove them if they are not needed. I also found out this was a place to mount my high lift jack. Its not the easiest thing to remove this way, but provided a solid mount.

Dennx, the box looks great, keep up the good work... It looks like you could start a business on the side.. :clap:
X2

I like the stain you used on the wood to match the FJ.
The drawers look to be a bit deeper than the OP's. Nice:cheers:

#29 ·

Fabulous! Did you fab the slider inserts for the drawer tops? I like this idea! Pull a drawer out and you have some work space or a kitchen counter if camping.

Guesstimate on weight & "total cost" involved, not including labor of course?

I NEED one of these and 1 of the drawers to lock. Originally I wanted 1 full width drawer, but now I think 2 is better with 1 of them locking. 2 will give center support to the expanse width-wise and keep the locking one locked, and eyes off of what is inside, while the other for tools, etc...

And to the front of it, I think I may add this piece to give it more storage room. Idea borrowed in part from the Rear Storage thread. :cheers:

Attachments

#30 ·

Fabulous! Did you fab the slider inserts for the drawer tops? I like this idea! Pull a drawer out and you have some work space or a kitchen counter if camping.

Guesstimate on weight & "total cost" involved, not including labor of course?

I NEED one of these and 1 of the drawers to lock. Originally I wanted 1 full width drawer, but now I think 2 is better with 1 of them locking. 2 will give center support to the expanse width-wise and keep the locking one locked, and eyes off of what is inside, while the other for tools, etc...

And to the front of it, I think I may add this piece to give it more storage room. Idea borrowed in part from the Rear Storage thread. :cheers:
:lol::cheers: