Front Runner roof racks any good? - Page 6 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Interior / Exterior Visual Tech This section contains discussion related to visual modifications of the Toyota FJ Cruiser. Some items might include dash kits, roof rack modifications and other visual modifications.

63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 182 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 10:52 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Front Runner roof racks any good?

NoLaKrewe, post some more pics, looks great!

The AT-AT Build

2011 Silver Fresco 4x4 5AT, Blacked Out & Nekkid - Airaid CAI - MBRP High Tuck Exhaust
Toytec BOSS 2.5 - Superflex Springs - Icon Rear Links - Light Racing UCA - Superbumps - DT's BMC
295/70/17 Ridge Grapplers - Method Fat Five - Spidertrax - Metal Tech Tube Bumper
Nestah LED Doorhandles - Scangauge II - M-PAC - Pioneer HU - JL Amp - Hertz Speakers - JL sub
Cobra 18 - Bandi Mount - Izalusky Resevoir - Chitown4X4 Power Window - LUX LED
Protected by Diesel Toys - Boztec - Rocktek - PureFJ - FJ Toyman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 182 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 08:33 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1868 Post(s)

Quote:
NoLaKrewe previously said: View Post
Mine sits perfectly. Not like those other pictures in the thread.

Louisana Land Krewesers
Can you get another pic of the top/front area? I have seen a few pics of it looking good but more often it seels to be like 2ft or more from the front ????
post #53 of 182 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 07:07 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)

Personally, I love this rack. I bought it to accommodate a Oztent I had to transport for my job but I never looked back once I purchased it. I've owned 2 Fjs now and have always been a part of the whole "roof racks are ugly" club. The reason I went with the Front Runner is their is about 1000 different ways to build the rack. So I wanted to be able to customize it with the seasons my Fj goes through.
Attached Images

oldguy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 182 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 07:09 PM
Banned

Also, I work in the city and this was one of the slimmer racks. And everything I add easily disassembles so I fit in a 6,6 parking garage.

Louisana Land Krewesers
post #55 of 182 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 07:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
zcutt previously said: View Post
NoLaKrewe, post some more pics, looks great!

Quote:
lqdchkn previously said: View Post
Can you get another pic of the top/front area? I have seen a few pics of it looking good but more often it seels to be like 2ft or more from the front ????
I think it's because it's a slim line and looking at the way the racks made if it extended to the front it would prob lose a inch of clearance the way it mounts up. Due to the curves of the FJ's roof I think the front of the rack would be significantly higher then the rest of the rack. As of right now it looks perfect leveled

Louisana Land Krewesers
post #56 of 182 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 07:39 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1868 Post(s)

Quote:
Personally, I love this rack. I bought it to accommodate a Oztent I had to transport for my job but I never looked back once I purchased it. I've owned 2 Fjs now and have always been a part of the whole "roof racks are ugly" club. The reason I went with the Front Runner is their is about 1000 different ways to build the rack. So I wanted to be able to customize it with the seasons my Fj goes through.

Quote:
I think it's because it's a slim line and looking at the way the racks made if it extended to the front it would prob lose a inch of clearance the way it mounts up. Due to the curves of the FJ's roof I think the front of the rack would be significantly higher then the rest of the rack. As of right now it looks perfect leveled

Louisana Land Krewesers

That's exactly why I'm looking at it. I just got an OZ knockoff and (as you probably know) they are 80 inches long.

As for the slimline looking short, it's cause it is compared to most other full FJ racks. The FJ slimline is only 77 inches long whereas most other full racks are 80inch.

The "plus" the slimline seems to have is that if you add all 4 corner rails it looks like the long tent would "cradle" right between the front and rear dips.

Thanks for the pics BTW. Still wish it was further forward though.
post #57 of 182 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 08:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
That's exactly why I'm looking at it. I just got an OZ knockoff and (as you probably know) they are 80 inches long.

As for the slimline looking short, it's cause it is compared to most other full FJ racks. The FJ slimline is only 77 inches long whereas most other full racks are 80inch.

The "plus" the slimline seems to have is that if you add all 4 corner rails it looks like the long tent would "cradle" right between the front and rear dips.

The Oz fit perfectly up there for me, and I purchased the tie downs as well that fit into the rack. Made it sturdy, and drove for 20 hours lol. The rack is quite on the road that's for sure.
post #58 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 10:42 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:

You can get a 8" extension for them, you just have to call and ask Steve about it. There was a FJ at the Summit this year that had one and it was pretty cool. His extension was on the back but it should work on the front as well, because they are so adaptable. I am thinking about putting one on mine front and rear. Then I would have a 93" long rack. LOL!!!

TLCA#21671 '07 Sun Fusion FJ/5AT/FrontRunner Roof Rack&Hi-Lift Jack Mount/ AP Tow Pkg/APx Front Bumper w Lg Prerun Light Bar/ComeUP Winch/Richocet Skid Plates/AP Rock Sliders/AP Rear Bumper/ Hi Clear Exhaust/3" Lift w/ OME Heavy Springs /OME Shocks/Total Chaos UCA's/ToyTec Lower Kits/URD MAF Sensor Cali/DP 2nd Battery/Top DogV Dual Oil Filter/PreFilter/JBA Long Headers/TRD Exhaust/Dual Horns/Rigid D2 LED's/General Grabbers 285x75x16's/OEM DLX Alum Wheels/OB Side Rack/Power Tank/Safari Snorkel/SCUBA Mods/S-pod/Kenwood DDX470/Sub/iPad2/InReach/Ultra-Gauge/FR 2M Awning /EdgeStar 43qt Fridge/Dennx Rear Storage Box/FR RTT/Rear IR Cam/BlackVue/Carbon Fibre Hood w/30" LED Bar
post #59 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 11:21 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
zcutt previously said: View Post
I think they sit so far back to accommodate a light bar/system. It is probably the only reason I will shy away from this rack. I love the idea of a light weight modular system, but looks goofy that far back...
Front Runner sells a 40" light bar for the Slimline II racks. It fits up underneath the front of the rack nicely. It has a rock cover but that won't work on a FJ because the Rack is too low to the roof, but I run mine without it and have no issues.
Front Runner 40"/1016mm LED Flood/Spot Combo w/ Off-Road Performance Shield | RACK ACCESSORIES
Attached Images

TLCA#21671 '07 Sun Fusion FJ/5AT/FrontRunner Roof Rack&Hi-Lift Jack Mount/ AP Tow Pkg/APx Front Bumper w Lg Prerun Light Bar/ComeUP Winch/Richocet Skid Plates/AP Rock Sliders/AP Rear Bumper/ Hi Clear Exhaust/3" Lift w/ OME Heavy Springs /OME Shocks/Total Chaos UCA's/ToyTec Lower Kits/URD MAF Sensor Cali/DP 2nd Battery/Top DogV Dual Oil Filter/PreFilter/JBA Long Headers/TRD Exhaust/Dual Horns/Rigid D2 LED's/General Grabbers 285x75x16's/OEM DLX Alum Wheels/OB Side Rack/Power Tank/Safari Snorkel/SCUBA Mods/S-pod/Kenwood DDX470/Sub/iPad2/InReach/Ultra-Gauge/FR 2M Awning /EdgeStar 43qt Fridge/Dennx Rear Storage Box/FR RTT/Rear IR Cam/BlackVue/Carbon Fibre Hood w/30" LED Bar
post #60 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 12:23 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 96 Post(s)

I realize this thread began over a year ago.

Just another comment:

Bikenuke installed one of these on his Dreamsicle FJ, because the Flat Baja Rack was interfering with his satellite radio reception. Check out post #212 .

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...-build-22.html

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Interior / Exterior Visual Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in