Can you remove passenger trim plate to access window switch - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Interior / Exterior Visual Tech This section contains discussion related to visual modifications of the Toyota FJ Cruiser. Some items might include dash kits, roof rack modifications and other visual modifications.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Can you remove passenger trim plate to access window switch

Yes I searched but can't seem to find whether or not you can remove just small trim switch that encompasses the passenger window switch or if you have to remove the whole door skin to change the switch. My switch took a crap and I got the new one delivered. Normally I would just take a crack at it and break half the stuff in my way before realizing it should have been done another way.

I am learning that it is better to ask first rather than later and I will be better off. So does anyone know if you can just pry that trim plate off and change the switch from there or do you need to remove the door skin in order to replace the switch?

Please make my life easy and say yes to the small panel. No fear in removing the skin, I just always break those damn door clips anytime I take a skin off.

2008 Black Diamond 6MT: CQ, C7, UR
TRD Intake:TRD Short Throw Shifter:Sport Pedals:URD Y Pipe:JBA Catback Exhaust:Clear Bra: Custom Smoked Turn Signals & Tail Lights: Huper Optik Tint: 3M Clear Bra by Detailing Dynamics: Demello Sliders: PIAA 1500 Back-up Lights:
3" All-Pro Walker Evans Adjustable Suspension with all the fixins! 17" Weld Racing Methods Black & 295/70/R17 TG's
Near Future Demello Front Bumper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 01:57 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Re: Can you remove passenger trim plate to access window switch

You have to pull the whole panel.

Edit: Are you sure your window lock button didn't get pushed? That locks out the passenger switch.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 01:57 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

I had to remove the whole door panel if I remember since the switch pops down. Its easy enough to do. The large "Pop" sounds of the lower plastic clips freaks you out at 1st but they are designed for it. The clips wont break if you pull up easy and directly away from the door. Some of the white clips may pop off and stay in the door. Just pry out witha trim panel remover and place back on the door skin before attempting to re-secure it.

The Crack Rock Toyeti- 2010 "almost stock"... SOLD to Colin
The Build-->https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ck-toyeti.html

The Epic Adventure-->https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...adventure.html

The GTR Build- Meet Zim---> https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...-meet-zim.html

Last edited by Old Cruiser; 09-03-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Thanks guys. Yes, the first thing I checked when wifey couldn't roll her window up was the window lock switch.

An extra few minutes to pop the skin won't kill me....just wanted to check beforehand.

Thanks for the heads up.

TRD Intake:TRD Short Throw Shifter:Sport Pedals:URD Y Pipe:JBA Catback Exhaust:Clear Bra: Custom Smoked Turn Signals & Tail Lights: Huper Optik Tint: 3M Clear Bra by Detailing Dynamics: Demello Sliders: PIAA 1500 Back-up Lights:
3" All-Pro Walker Evans Adjustable Suspension with all the fixins! 17" Weld Racing Methods Black & 295/70/R17 TG's
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 04:14 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

Well while you have it off this would be a great time to do some sound deadening and upgrade your speakers.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
cnckart previously said: View Post
Well while you have it off this would be a great time to do some sound deadening and upgrade your speakers.

I agree 110%, however, my wife and I just had our first kid and she has been out of work since mid July without getting paid so funds are a flowing out faster than they flow in. She won't go back to work for probably another 6 weeks or so
and seeing that we had the homeowners insurance, car insurance, etc all due in August, I am stretched thinner than I like right now.

Lastly, once wifey goes back to work, I unfortunately will be heavily considering getting rid of the FJ. Doesn't seem practical with a a little one and the home depot trips have become a major PITA with this truck. Carrying anything more than a handful of 8' 2x4's is a chore in space management.

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 10:52 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

You can pry the switch trim/bezel in the front using a butter knife or thin tip flat screww driver.

Then slide the trim forward (toward the dash) to disengage the locking tab in the back.

mudslinger and FJQueue like this.

TLCA #17592
2007 FJ Cruiser 4x4 Auto Titanium Silver
Mods too long to list so I created a website www.nestahedition.com

www.Facebook.com/NestahEdition
http://instagram.com/nestahedition#

http://norcalfjs.ning.com/

"The silent force" - NestahEdition
"Don't be a So-So. Let your creativity show!"- My spouse

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ml#post2480798 NestahEdition March 2013 Member of the Month

http://www.fjc-mag.com/july-2013/nestah-edition - NestahEdition 07 FJ Featured on July 2013 issue
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 10:10 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Quote:
NestahEdition previously said: View Post
You can pry the switch trim/bezel in the front using a butter knife or thin tip flat screww driver. [/IMG]

Thanks, Nestah -- I've gotten a lot of great tricks from you in the past, and this one just saved me a bunch of time

My passenger window switch (switch on the passenger door) just went out on my 2010 FJ. I was hoping it was the child "lock", but it is the switch. For future reference when this happens to someone else, I ordered this part from Amazon -- https://www.amazon.com/Window-Switch...rds=8481012080

2010 Iceberg 4x4
Convenience and Upgrade Packages
Curt Front Receiver, Scuba Driver Mod, Ricochet Skids, Husky Liners, Trail Gear Sliders, Wheeler's Offroad Daystar Lift\Leveling Kit, Interior LED Lights, Midland CB with Bandi Mount and 3' Firestick Firefly (102" whip on standby), Custom Rear Door Racks with QuickFists, Snorkel, Baja Basket, Cooper Discoverer AT3s 275/70/17 C-Load,

Last edited by mudslinger; 10-23-2016 at 10:14 AM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 09:37 PM
Forum Superstar
Space Invaders Champion

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
NestahEdition previously said: View Post
You can pry the switch trim/bezel in the front using a butter knife or thin tip flat screww driver.

Then slide the trim forward (toward the dash) to disengage the locking tab in the back.

THANK YOU!!! You just saved me a ton of time!!! My right side window switch is popping the 30 Amp Power fuse. This will make up a LOT of time.

A cross between quasimoto and the elephant man..... But only the good parts!!!!!

Hello chewey46 it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 09:12 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 1333 Post(s)

Quote:
chewey46 previously said: View Post
(snip) My right side window switch is popping the 30 Amp Power fuse.
I think it's somewhat unlikely that your switch is causing a 30A fuse to blow. Either the motor has failed, or you have a short-circuit somewhere in the wiring harness.

Pull the switch and look for any evidence of an internal short (melted housing, etc.). If you find that the switch itself has failed, please post a clear photo.

Last edited by FJtest; 05-07-2019 at 09:31 AM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Interior / Exterior Visual Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in