Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Tuffy Console Gas Strut!

10K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  bxghost 
#1 ·
So I bought this on a whim while I was ordering new floor mats from TRDparts4u (vendor here, can probably purchase elsewhere), thinking that it sounded pretty convenient. Turns out it does not take much to install, and made opening the console nearly effortless!!! (I know it may sound like I'm trying to sell this, but I am just really excited about it) If you have a Tuffy console, and enjoy it as much as I do mine, then it might be worth looking into as it isn't too expensive. The only downside that I have noticed so far is that the lid does not quite open to 90 degrees. It says in the instructions that you can change the mounting locations to accommodate opening more. I chose to mount as per instructions since I did not feel it would be a hinderance, and does not appear to be so far.

The install is fairly straight forward, once you know the correct figure in the instructions to use. I called Tuffy to find this out and Tim was extremely helpful and knew exactly what I was asking. The instructions detail for JK consoles as shown in the instructions referring to part #139 , where the FJ is #144 .

The last figure (Figure #5 ) is the one to use since the FJ console has a substantial amount of overhang on the lid. (the alternate way has the ball stud mounted straight through the side of the console, which does not provide enough clearance for the FJ version to close because the lid hits squarely on the nut.)

Note: Pull the measurements from where the hinge is mounted, not the very back of the console. If this is messed up the strut will compress completely, not allowing the lid to close. The instructions also say to be as precise as possible when drilling the holes in the side, because it is a fairly tight tolerance being so close to the latch mechanism. I must have gotten pretty lucky or had some real good measuring/drilling because there is no interference on mine.

Now for some installed pics, if you want more pics or clarification feel free to ask. PS sorry the FJ is a little dirty, cleaning is the next project.

Tools used:
Power drill
1/4" drill bit
3/8" socket and end wrench
1/2" end wrench
small round file (to clean edges)
Phillips head screwdriver

Attachments

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Hey if you aren't taking the shortcuts, then you are working to hard! :lol:

But in seriousness the lid is pretty stout and when its up could do some damage on the way down. Haven't had an issue with it personally, but just makes life easier.

I threw in my 34 and 19 w/light in holsters for a reference for you. They fit just fine with the strut and lid. 34 was on the strut/latch side. And I did close it as well.

Attachments

#9 ·
I didn't know they made this! Though I have definitely thought there should have been one from the get go... that thing can close down with a decent amount of force.

Reactions: Swerllz
#16 ·
Just finished installing the gas strut for the Tuffy console on my FJ Cruiser. Terrible instructions don't identify which mounting location to use for which vehicle. Thank goodness for this thread otherwise my console would have as many holes in it as a block of Swiss cheese. It didn't help that the screws and locknuts didn't match!
Note to Tuffy: most buyers of these products would be happy to pay a little extra to have these struts (and other bits) already installed.

#17 ·
Just finished my install on my tuffy safe and strut. The only issue I'm running into with my driver side armrest. I managed to get in back on and it stops at the upright position at even with the seat. However it now doesn't have the raise to set height feature, it's all the way down with nothing in between that and stopping at full upright position. Anyone have this issue? Ideas how to resolve it?

#18 ·
I added the Tuffy box to my newly acquired 2012 TT FJ.

Good news, I also purchased the gas strut. Better news, the console I was shipped already had the holes required pre-drilled in the lid and the holes in the side were partially indented/punched, just used a 1/4” bit and drilled them out.

Total install including the strut was 30 minutes. I didn’t use the third bolt in the base of the console. It was more than secure enough without it.

If you are installing this unit, there is no need to remove the front driver’s armrest. Just push the seat all the way forward and tilt the seat fully forward. Unit sets right in, no issues.

I didn’t have an armrest on my passenger side seat, $80-$90 to buy that, so I spent the extra money and bought the Tuffy and got security and an armrest all in one.

Good purchase.

#22 ·
Has anyone found a cover for the cushion part. I bought the console I feel the cushion is too soft and fear my dog will rip it with her nails but can't seem to find a solution I found this for a tacoma (photo below) maybe it might fit who knows doesn't hurt to try will update