Ideas for homemade Rock sliders. - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Interior / Exterior Visual Tech This section contains discussion related to visual modifications of the Toyota FJ Cruiser. Some items might include dash kits, roof rack modifications and other visual modifications.

 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Ricky_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Dubai
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Ideas for homemade Rock sliders.

So for the past few weeks I've been driving around the 4x4 shops in my area trying to find rock sliders. and i ended up with nothing, i wish i was living in the US so i can buy sliders with a click of a button

shipping from the US to middle east will cost double the price of the sliders.

after losing hope, i thought i should try and build it in my garage, my buddy is very talented with metal fabrication and he will help me.

now I'm fishing for ideas, designs, anyone who built their own sliders can chime in and help.

today i was stuck at work and instead of playing a game on my iPhone i pulled my laptop and doodled a few designs.

PROTOTYPE 1:



PROTOTYPE 2:



PROTOTYPE 3:



PROTOTYPE 4:




Anyone can chime in and give me new ideas, comments, pros/cons, what to avoid ... etc.


Cheers
Ricky

2015 FJC heritage blue: Radflo 2.5 extended travel-LR UCA-METHODs - Road armor bumper-RESZ fab LED mounts -50" roof LED- 17" bumper LED-MOSS stone guards- TT black out kit-otrattw rocker switches-homemade shovel/axe mount -ARB high lift jack with mounts-OEM Roof rack.

2014 shelby GT500 oxford white: Ford Racing 65MM Cobra Jet Throttle Body - NGK TR8IX Plugs - 2.396" Upper Pulley and 90 MM Idler - ATI 10% OD Pulley - SCT tune - BORLA ATAK catback ... 700+hp

Last edited by Ricky_z; 04-01-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Ricky_z is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 09:42 PM
Forum Master
 
KC Masterpiece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Evergreen, CO
Posts: 1,237
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Re: Ideas for homemade Rock sliders.

I think that #1 looks the best, and would be indestructible if the right materials were used.

Would definitely stick with one of the kickout designs.
PliskinAJ likes this.

Thanks to all the locals who have offered great deals and help to make my build possible!


KCMP BUILD THREAD
KC Masterpiece is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 11:55 PM
Forum Regular
 
Drift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Lafayette, Indiana
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Garage
I really like the Metaltech sliders. Only change i would make would be adding about 1.5"-2" to the width of the kick out.
Attached Images
   
Ricky_z likes this.
Drift is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 12:02 AM
Forum Superstar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: San Andreas Fault Zone
Posts: 3,062
Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1399 Post(s)
Re: Ideas for homemade Rock sliders.

Quote:
Ricky_z previously said: View Post
So for the past few weeks I've been driving around the 4x4 shops in my area trying to find rock sliders. and i ended up with nothing, i wish i was living in the US so i can buy sliders with a click of a button

shipping from the US to middle east will cost double the price of the sliders.

after losing hope, i thought i should try and build it in my garage, my buddy is very talented with metal fabrication and he will help me.

now I'm fishing for ideas, designs, anyone who built their own sliders can chime in and help.

Anyone can chime in and give me new ideas, comments, pros/cons, what to avoid ... etc.

Cheers
Ricky
You haven't included the portion of the sliders that mounts to the frame, and from both a design and a fab standpoint, that's by far the most difficult part.

All the bolt holes in the mounting plates need to be accurately positioned within a few mm, and the faces of all the mounting plates need to be co-planar to within less than a mm to avoid distorting the frame when the mounting bolts are tightened. To do all this would require building fixtures that clamp all the individual parts in the correct position for welding.

You absolutely do NOT want to weld anything to the frame; you must bolt the sliders on, using the weld-nuts already installed in the frame rails.

Trust me, even if paying 2X the "US" price of a pair of sliders, you will still be far ahead of trying to fab them locally from scratch.

Personally, I really like the "kick-out" sliders from AllPro (same sliders sold by purefjcruiser.com).
Redeemed and Ricky_z like this.
FJtest is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Ricky_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Dubai
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Ideas for homemade Rock sliders.

Quote:
KC Masterpiece previously said: View Post
I think that #1 looks the best, and would be indestructible if the right materials were used.

Would definitely stick with one of the kickout designs.
i actually loved that one. will shop for materials today and hopefully my metal head buddy knows what he's doing.

Quote:
Drift previously said: View Post
I really like the Metaltech sliders. Only change i would make would be adding about 1.5"-2" to the width of the kick out.
im in love with MT sliders, but i had the same note on the kick out width. before i start I'm gonna take measurements and ace the width.

thanks man.

Quote:
FJtest previously said: View Post
You haven't included the portion of the sliders that mounts to the frame, and from both a design and a fab standpoint, that's by far the most difficult part.

All the bolt holes in the mounting plates need to be accurately positioned within a few mm, and the faces of all the mounting plates need to be co-planar to within less than a mm to avoid distorting the frame when the mounting bolts are tightened. To do all this would require building fixtures that clamp all the individual parts in the correct position for welding.

You absolutely do NOT want to weld anything to the frame; you must bolt the sliders on, using the weld-nuts already installed in the frame rails.

Trust me, even if paying 2X the "US" price of a pair of sliders, you will still be far ahead of trying to fab them locally from scratch.

Personally, I really like the "kick-out" sliders from AllPro (same sliders sold by purefjcruiser.com).
yeah, that portion is what makes this job a pain in the rear. and honestly thats the only thing that scares me.

but my buddy told me that he will take care of it. I'm gonna try my luck, if it didn't work, ill pay the 600$ shipping bill and call it a day.




Thanks everyone

2015 FJC heritage blue: Radflo 2.5 extended travel-LR UCA-METHODs - Road armor bumper-RESZ fab LED mounts -50" roof LED- 17" bumper LED-MOSS stone guards- TT black out kit-otrattw rocker switches-homemade shovel/axe mount -ARB high lift jack with mounts-OEM Roof rack.

2014 shelby GT500 oxford white: Ford Racing 65MM Cobra Jet Throttle Body - NGK TR8IX Plugs - 2.396" Upper Pulley and 90 MM Idler - ATI 10% OD Pulley - SCT tune - BORLA ATAK catback ... 700+hp
Ricky_z is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 05:21 AM
Forum Superstar
 
iwashmycar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 9,676
Blog Entries: 9
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1154 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to iwashmycar
Re: Ideas for homemade Rock sliders.

Might just be the doodles, but if they are going to be made from square tube, use #2 .

If using round tube, make up a nice set of kick-out sliders

-Adam

'07 Black Diamond 4WD AT UR

TLCA #22985
295s | 3" | BL | Lights | Armor | Rails | Snorkel | CB | Dent(s)
Feb. 2017 Member of the Month
In the Midwest? OHIO FJ Owners
iwashmycar is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Ricky_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Dubai
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Ideas for homemade Rock sliders.

Quote:
iwashmycar previously said: View Post
Might just be the doodles, but if they are going to be made from square tube, use #2 .

If using round tube, make up a nice set of kick-out sliders
its gonna be #1 .. we will be working with a 2" tube but for the middle triangles, we will use a flat steel bars.

2015 FJC heritage blue: Radflo 2.5 extended travel-LR UCA-METHODs - Road armor bumper-RESZ fab LED mounts -50" roof LED- 17" bumper LED-MOSS stone guards- TT black out kit-otrattw rocker switches-homemade shovel/axe mount -ARB high lift jack with mounts-OEM Roof rack.

2014 shelby GT500 oxford white: Ford Racing 65MM Cobra Jet Throttle Body - NGK TR8IX Plugs - 2.396" Upper Pulley and 90 MM Idler - ATI 10% OD Pulley - SCT tune - BORLA ATAK catback ... 700+hp
Ricky_z is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 07:17 PM
Forum Superstar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: San Andreas Fault Zone
Posts: 3,062
Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1399 Post(s)
Re: Ideas for homemade Rock sliders.

I just realized I misread your original post ... I thought you meant the shipping cost would double the cost of the sliders, but you actually mean triple the cost.
Ricky_z likes this.
FJtest is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 07:37 PM
Forum Superstar
 
Bar3K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cheyenne
Posts: 3,928
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1869 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Ideas for homemade Rock sliders.

Make all your frame mounts separately, bolt them to the frame, then tack your sliders to the frame mounts. Remove all, weld up. You should have a close fit.

Kick out sliders are not designed for tight trails. If your in the desert no big deal.


Good luck and we want some progress pictures
Fred Smedley likes this.

Bar3K is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 08:10 PM
Forum Regular
 
GREGFJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: estacada, or
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Ideas for homemade Rock sliders.

Quote:
Bar3K previously said: View Post
Make all your frame mounts separately, bolt them to the frame, then tack your sliders to the frame mounts. Remove all, weld up. You should have a close fit.

Kick out sliders are not designed for tight trails. If your in the desert no big deal.


Good luck and we want some progress pictures
yes, bolt then tack then weld

GOODYEAR DURATRAC-BILSTEIN 5100 FRONT-ENGINE COMPARTMENT LEDS-INTERIOR LEDS-AIRAID CAI-TRD EXHAUST-US OFFROAD WINCH MOUNT-WARN WINCH-AMBER LED MIRROR LIGHTS-BUMPER WING PLATE-SLIDERS-STORAGE DRAWERS-LED RUNNING LIGHTS-ROLLER FAIRLEAD COVER-RECOVERY GEAR-ROOF RACK
GREGFJ is offline  
Reply

  Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Interior / Exterior Visual Tech

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome