Looking for brush guard opinions. - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Interior / Exterior Visual Tech This section contains discussion related to visual modifications of the Toyota FJ Cruiser. Some items might include dash kits, roof rack modifications and other visual modifications.

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 07:47 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Re: Looking for brush guard opinions.

Quote:
SilvFx previously said: View Post
The general consensus is that nobody on the forum likes brush guards because they are cosmetic only, and serve no functional purpose other than multiplying the damage to the hood, grill, lights fenders in the event of an accident. Also...given a price of up to $500 you are halfway to the cost of a bumper. In fact you might be able to pick up a used steel aftermarket bumper for that price.
I second this view. I have not seen too many offoraders that stick with the brushgaurd very long.

2007 FJ Cruiser- lightly modified
1977 Chevy K10 Stepside- the midlife crisis buy
1987 Suzuki Samurai- poor man's Razor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
luk4mud previously said: View Post
I second this view. I have not seen too many offoraders that stick with the brushgaurd very long.
And if you read my original post you saw I'm not an offroader... so that's ok..
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 08:12 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)

Quote:
A.O. previously said: View Post
And if you read my original post you saw I'm not an offroader... so that's ok..
Well I was trying to be helpful and was using the term broadly. If you take it off pavement, you are technically an "offroader". Brushguards have a reputation for not doing much and not holdong up well. Just tring to be helpful, hate seeing newer guys spend their hard earned $ and then regret it later.

2007 FJ Cruiser- lightly modified
1977 Chevy K10 Stepside- the midlife crisis buy
1987 Suzuki Samurai- poor man's Razor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 10:23 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Try the Jeep forum.
equalme likes this.

LSSC
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
luk4mud previously said: View Post
Well I was trying to be helpful and was using the term broadly. If you take it off pavement, you are technically an "offroader". Brushguards have a reputation for not doing much and not holdong up well. Just tring to be helpful, hate seeing newer guys spend their hard earned $ and then regret it later.
And I thank you for that.. And after listening to you guys I may be leaning away from a brushguard a bit. I don't think I need a HD bumper though, as I said my "offroading" is on roads and trails on my property here.
Again thanks, I did not mean to sound unappreciative at all, but I think I did.
FatJohnson likes this.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Garage
(Thread Starter)

So maybe what I need/want to do is to put my lights up on top. I'd also like to improve my stock roof rack to be more useful and I see Baja Racks makes a drop in basket that might work there, and I think I can get light tabs welded to the front of it so I could kill two birds with one stone..

Thoughts on that?
FatJohnson likes this.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 06:32 AM
Forum Master

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to sealevel

Quote:
Ok, so asking for opinions is a bit dicey let me splain...

New FJ owner, 2010 TT about two weeks old for me. I'm not a big 4 wheeler or rock climber guy, and will most likely never buy a winch. The extent of my 4 wheeling is trails through the woods on my property here in South Carolina, hunting, maintaining or whatever. Probably a bit of car camping too.

So I'm looking for a brushguard/grill guard that will protect my front end a little and give me a place for some lights, might look into roof lights also so If you have those suggestions also, I'm listening.

Did some searching and came up with mostly old threads so I'm thinking we need a fresh one here for us new guys, I'm sure I'm not the only one looking.

I see some on ebay (most there come with no installation instructions for some reason), Amazon sells a few, and then the myriad of accessories places. Prices from $250 to over 2 grand!

I'm thinking that $250-$500 range maybe.. So whats ok, whats not, and what do I need to look out for?

Thanks..
I have a hunter bull bar for sale with PIAA fogs at $150! Tampa Bay Florida area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	178
Size:	913.6 KB
ID:	778370  

'07 Titanium auto 4x4, rear locker, ATRAC, upgrade pk 2, Pioneer AVIC-D3 nav system w/ipod Vd, 265/70 17 Pirelli Scorpion ATR, Trail-Gear sliders, black Ellis Precision Grab Handles, black RazorWings, AFE Cat-back exhaust & CAI, Black Oak LEDs, Iron Mountain shift knobs, tinted windows, US Off Road Bumper, Engo Winch, cargo net, Midld 75-822 CB, Bandi Mount, 4' Firestik, Manik Black Taillight Guards & a Gracie Barra Brazilian Jiu Jitsu sticker.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
sealevel previously said: View Post
I have a hunter bull bar for sale with PIAA fogs at $150! Tampa Bay Florida area.
Is that a no drill install (using existing bolts/holes?) Would you ship to South Carolina 29067? And how much would that be?
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 07:55 AM
Forum Master

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to sealevel

Quote:
Is that a no drill install (using existing bolts/holes?) Would you ship to South Carolina 29067? And how much would that be?
Yes , just bolt it on. All hardware included. Shipping about $75!

Best option might be to drive to sunny Florida And Ill help with the install!

'07 Titanium auto 4x4, rear locker, ATRAC, upgrade pk 2, Pioneer AVIC-D3 nav system w/ipod Vd, 265/70 17 Pirelli Scorpion ATR, Trail-Gear sliders, black Ellis Precision Grab Handles, black RazorWings, AFE Cat-back exhaust & CAI, Black Oak LEDs, Iron Mountain shift knobs, tinted windows, US Off Road Bumper, Engo Winch, cargo net, Midld 75-822 CB, Bandi Mount, 4' Firestik, Manik Black Taillight Guards & a Gracie Barra Brazilian Jiu Jitsu sticker.

Last edited by sealevel; 09-12-2016 at 08:34 AM.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 10:23 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)

if you are amenable to drilling two holes in the top of your bumper you can fit a pair of 7" PIAA LED driving lights like I did (see photo below)

The SET (South East Toyota) "OEM" light fit kit comes with a pair of stainless steel brackets to support from underneath - very clean and very sturdy. These brackets should last forever and still show up for sale, from time to time, on the internet. If you go with the TRD light fitting kit be sure to paint everything before you install it (the paint they come with rusts after a few years, which is why I went with the SET stainless setup).

When fitting driving lights you want them as high up as possible (above rather than below the bumper, on the roof if possible) and as bright as possible (LED beats incandescent by a mile). An LED light bar on the roof is probably the best, but I love the look of the round lamps next to the FJ front end.
FatJohnson and Puddles like this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Interior / Exterior Visual Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in