NEW Complete Roof Rack Comparison - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Interior / Exterior Visual Tech This section contains discussion related to visual modifications of the Toyota FJ Cruiser. Some items might include dash kits, roof rack modifications and other visual modifications.

34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
4-Corners Moderator

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
NEW Complete Roof Rack Comparison

It has come to my attention that an update was needed, so here is the NEW Complete Roof Rack Comparison Thread! Hope this includes a lot more useful and clear info than the old thread to make your decision making easier when it comes to choosing the best roof rack option for you! And for the purposes of this thread I wont include basic roof bars like those offered from Thule, Rhino-Rack, or others that aren't true roof racks. Comment in the thread to share your thoughts on roof racks, post pictures of your set-up, tell others about other roof rack options and details, or let me know if I missed something!

And as requested, here is a link to the OLD Roof Rack Comparison Thread since it contains lots of useful info: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...omparison.html

Type of Roof Rack Guide:
Full – Replaces entire roof rack and extends most of the length of the FJ’s roof.
Half - Replaces entire roof rack but is a shorter model that may only extend around half the length of the roof, usually the rear half.
Drop-In – This design fits inside the factory roof rack and mounts to the factory roof rack.

ARB

Type: Full or Half Roof Rack

Price: $522 - $1,085 (Fitting kit is also required $132 - $207)

Build: Steel or Alloy (40% Lighter)

Finish: Powder Coat Black

Light Mounts: No

Load Limit: 330 lbs

Roof Top Tent Compatible: Yes – when using Steel Touring Style Roof Rack

Accessories: Wind deflector for 44” wide models, Universal Awning Bracket, Mounting Kits

Notes: ARB has 3 main designs of roof racks. First is their standard roof rack (87” x 44”) which is offered in a steel version or aluminum alloy version for those looking to save weight, but the steel version can also come with a mesh flooring. Next is their short roof rack (52” x 44”) which is just like the standard one but only offered in steel and no mesh flooring. And finally is their Touring style roof rack (87” x 49”) with a basket area in the front and flat section on the rear ideal for ARB roof top tents. The cheaper of the 2 mounting kits required only works for the short roof rack while the more expensive one is for all other roof rack mounting applications.

BajaRack

Type: Full or Drop-In Roof Racks

Price: $595 - $1,295

Build: Steel Tubing with Aluminum Wind Deflector

Finish: Black Powder Coat

Light Mounts: No, unless light bar accessory is purchased or Utility (flat) Rack with SPY Light System

Load Limit: 300 lbs (Driving) to 600 lbs (Static)

Roof Top Tent Compatible: Yes, both the flat Utility racks and the Expedition Rack (20" front basket and rear flat section) are compatible, not the basket style racks

Accessories: Fuel Can Holder, Hi-Lift Jack Mounts, Awning Mounts, Axe & Shovel Mounts, Solar Panel Mount, Maxtrax Mount, Tire Mount, Tent Plates, Water Can Holder, Yakima and Thule Accessory Mounts, Light Bar for 48” wide Racks to fit 7” or 10” round lights
Notes: BajaRack offers a drop-in basket design that works with OEM roof racks. They also offer Standard Basket racks with or without mesh flooring, Flat Utility racks in a small (51”) or medium (55”) width variation (used to be a large version but they stopped offering it due to its excessive width), a Flat Utility rack with their Spy Light System (has a small motor on it so driver can control a LED light bar that can lower behind the wind deflector or raise up above the wind deflector to shine forward), or their Expedition Rack for roof top tents as the rear section is flat to accommodate a tent and there is a small basket area up front for gear/equipment.

Ecotechne

Type: Full Roof Rack

Price: $850

Build: CNC plasma-cut and brake-formed steel, about 0.100” thick

Finish: Powder-coat black

Light Mounts: Yes, for LED bar in front (maybe 40")

Load Limit: 150 kg (330 lbs)

Roof Top Tent Compatible: ???

Accessories: Rear Ladder, and they produce FJ Cruiser front and rear bumpers.

Notes: Not much information out there. And website model shows the older model, pictured is the new model.

Eezi-Awn (Equipt Expedition Outfitters)

Price: $1,110 - $1,385

Build: High-grade aluminum, 60 lbs, Low-Profile Platform with 1-3/8" H, 5" Wide Slats, Running Front to Back, 5-1/8" Between Slats

Load Limit: ???

Accessories: Compatible with your existing Thule or Yakima sports bar mounts for bikes, kayaks, etc. With a modular system to accommodate shovels, axes, jerry cans, and more.

Notes: Multiple full roof racks available in multiple sizes.

Expedition One

Price: $1,259.99

Build: all-aluminum light-weight construction, Flat load bar rail system

Light Mounts: Optional front fascia light bar cutout (fits up to a 40" led light bar)

Load Limit: Dynamic load capacity: 250lbs, Static load capacity: 500lbs

Roof Top Tent Compatible: Roof Top Tent Load Bar System (Coming Soon)

Accessories: Expedition One Accessory mounting options coming soon

Notes: Flexible mounting points along the internal railings

Front Runner

Price: $1,112

Build: Aluminum and Stainless Steel, 77.3” Long, 77 lbs

Finish: Black epoxy powder-coat

Load Limit: 660 lbs (evenly dispersed)

Roof Top Tent Compatible: Yes, Expedition Rail Kit offered for full perimeter of rack to make a basket rack or for only the front or back to allow section of rack for roof top tent and other area for storage

Accessories: Expedition Rail Kit, 1255mm Slats, Hi-Lift Jack Bracket, Double Jerry Can Holder, 10” LED Flood Light w/ Bracket, Water Tank w/ Mounting System

Notes: Front Runner offers their SLIMLINE II ROOF RACK KIT for the FJ. Lots of accessories including slats to fill in the gaps and make a completely flat surface for the roof rack as well as the Expedition Rail Kit to create a basket roof rack design.

Garvin Wilderness Products

Type: Full and Drop-In Roof Racks

Price: $580 - $1016

Build: ???

Finish: Powdercoated

Load Limit: 200 lbs for Adventure Racks (Drop-In); ??? for Expedition Rack (Full Roof Rack)

Roof Top Tent Compatible: No

Accessories: Hi-Lift Jack Mount, Ax & Shovel Mount

Notes: Garvin Wilderness offers 2 types of roof racks. First is their full roof rack, the Expedition Rack, Long Version, which is 48"W by 90"L and has 4"H sides. It also contours to the roof towards the rear so isn’t flat the entire length of the rack. Then they offer Adventure Racks which are drop-ins designed to mount to the factory roof rack. There are 2 versions of the Adventure Rack, first is the standard version which is 35.25"L by 36"L x 5"H and fits towards the front of the OEM roof rack. Then there is the XL version which is 35.25"W by 66'L by 4"H and fills in the whole OEM roof rack area. Garvin also has racks available for the rear cargo area and above the rear tire. Rock sliders are also available.

Gobi

Type: Full Roof Racks

Price: $1,495

Build: 1″ heavy gauge tubing, mesh flooring, integrated or removable cross braces optional (allow compatibility with Yakima or Thule accessories or for roof top tent mounting)

Finish: Black powder coated with an anti-rust undercoat

Light Mounts: Yes - for 4 individual LED lights or a 40” LED bar depending on roof rack version

Load Limit: 300 lbs (Driving) and 600 lbs (Static)

Roof Top Tent Compatible: Yes

Accessories: Comes with Wind Deflector that can be removed for LED lights, rear ladders (3 different designs: drivers side w/ rear tire, drivers sider w/o rear tire, passenger side), ax/shovel attachment, adjustable cross bar, ARB/Tepui awning attachments, mini wind deflectors, tie down system, universal tire mount, tool boxes (standard or stealth)

Notes: Gobi offers 2 styles of roof rack, the Stealth and the Ranger, all come with mounting hardware and wind deflector. The Stealth only extends 6.5” above the roof and can be purchased in 2 variations. One Stealth variation allows for 4 small LEDs to me mounted on the front while the other allows for a 40” LED bar. The Ranger extends 8.5”above the roof and also has 2 variations, both built to fit 4 individual lights but one comes with a tire rack. Free ladder and shipping with any rack if in the Lower 48 States.

PrinSu Design

Price: $695 - $815

Build: Aluminum wind deflector, side rails, and crossbars

Finish: Side Rails - Raw Aluminum, Textured black powdercoat, or custom color powdercoat
Crossbars – Anodized clear or anodized black

Roof Top Tent Compatible: Yes

Accessories: ???

Notes: None

Rhino-Rack

Price: Backbone 3 Base Mounting System - $369; Roof Rack Options - $1,158 to $1,419

Build: Reinforced nylon and aluminium

Finish: Powdercoat?

Light Mounts: None

Load Limit: 265 lbs (Driving), 800 lbs (Static)

Accessories: Many options available on website.

Notes: Base Mounting System must be purchased regardless of rack. Multitude of rack options including basket-style, side-rail style, or flat racks most in different sizes. Rhino-Rack also offers options to add cross bars to the factory roof rack.

Toyota

Type: Full Roof Rack (Half if Modified)

Price: $495

Build: Lightweight T-6061 Aluminum Material

Finish: black powdercoat

Light Mounts: No, unless OEM Air Dam is added

Load Limit: Drop-In: 150 lbs

Accessories: Additional Cross Braces, Front Air Dam w/ Aux Lights

Notes: Discontinued

Viper 4x4 (VPR4X4)

Price: ???

Build: ???

Finish: ???

Light Mounts: ???

Accessories: ???

Notes: Not much info is provided on website about this roof rack. Weighs 66.14 lbs and is 72 x 59 x 7 in.

Warrior Products

Type: Full, Half, and Drop-In Racks

Price: $489 - $821

Build: 11 gauge steel, outer round tube around the perimeter of the rack measures 1-1/4″ while the square crossbars measure 1″

Finish: black powdercoat

Light Mounts: No - unless Pre-Runner light bar accessory is added, fits five 6.75″ round lights, but Warrior states "designed with open front for an ideal place to mount lights without taking up space on the rack"

Load Limit: Drop-In: 300 lbs, Half Rack: 700 lbs (though FJ roof may not handle this depending on weight distribution), Full Rack: 1000 lbs (though FJ roof may not handle this depending on weight distribution)

Roof Top Tent Compatible: Yes, for full and possibly half racks.

Accessories: Front Air Dam for full rack, low profile or top-mounted hi-lift jack mount, shovel & ax bracket, spare tire kit (drill or no-drill options), 2 or 3 awning bracket options

Notes: Warrior Products' full roof rack measures 89.5″ Long, 51-1/4″ wide, and 5″ high with a weight of 90 lbs. The half rack is 57-1/2″ Long, 51-1/4″ wide, and 5″ high with a weight of 82 lbs. And the drop-in cargo basket which includes mounting system to sit inside OEM rack is 51 inches long , 35 1/2 inches wide, & 5 inches tall. Many optional accessories available.

Last edited by FJX2000; 01-29-2019 at 04:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 06:21 AM
fka BLACK HAWK

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Re: NEW Complete Roof Rack Comparison

Awesome! Can't wait to see the updated front and rear bumper comparisons! I love my Warrior Products Full length flat rack!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

" You can't be afraid to scratch it "
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 12:13 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)

Thanks for updating this. But I do have one concern and that is that the All-Pro Roof rack basically has top billing and I am not even convinced they make one. You say it can be custom ordered and it is not on their website. I see no evidence they have delivered one since 2014. See here:

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...signed-73.html

The demand was certainly there at one time for these racks and they look great, but do you have confirmation both from All Pro and from anyone who has bought/custom ordered one in the last year and had it delivered timely.

I think All Pro has good stuff....I am just VERY skeptical that the FJ rack can even be ordered and delivered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 12:17 PM
I Have a V-8!! Moderator

Mentioned: 339 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6811 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
SilvFx previously said: View Post
Thanks for updating this. But I do have one concern and that is that the All-Pro Roof rack basically has top billing
Alphabetical listings.

Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens...

I'll ride in on a sunny day, Sing you a song, steal your heart away Like a cowboy Hang my hat like I'm here for awhile Kick off my boots and drive you wild Like a cowboy Well baby you know I can't stay long You wake up, I'll be gone Until then I'll hold on Like a cowboy.

TLCA #9031
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 12:37 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)

Quote:
BIGGUY previously said: View Post
Alphabetical listings.
Yeah...i get that....but still because of alphabetical order, they get top billing. Same reason there are so many service companies with AA AAA AAAA in their name..at least from the old "yellow pages" days. It seems like an OK way to order the listing of racks (alphabetical), but my real concern is that by sheer virtue of their name they get 'top' billing and I don't think the rack actually exists. I will stand down if someone can point me to recent deliveries of these phantom racks. And, trust me I have nothing against All Pro. I just cant believe the amount of demand for something that basically just disappeared from the market. I have been on the FJ forum since 2009 and in my mind the "we'll have a rack out soon for you" has become a running joke for the old-timers on the forum.

I certainly haven't searched for every thread, so I am definitely open to the possibility that I am just not up to date on their current offerings and will happily delete or remove my comments in this thread if they actually exist and can be purchased/delivered.
GammaBruiser likes this.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 12:59 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)

You can add Rhino Rack as well.
Good looking option.
Thorn661 likes this.

>>>>>>>>>>2010armygreens slow build<<<<<<<<<<

>>>>>>>>ArmyGreens M416 Build<<<<<<<<

Garage
2010 FJ Army Green
2014 FJ Iceberg
M416 Trailer
Maggiolina Grand Tour Roof Top Tent
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
4-Corners Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
NyNomad previously said: View Post
Awesome! Can't wait to see the updated front and rear bumper comparisons! I love my Warrior Products Full length flat rack!!
The front and rear bumper threads are updated, pm me if there are specific details you know need to changed.

Quote:
Thanks for updating this. But I do have one concern and that is that the All-Pro Roof rack basically has top billing and I am not even convinced they make one. You say it can be custom ordered and it is not on their website. I see no evidence they have delivered one since 2014. See here:

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...signed-73.html

The demand was certainly there at one time for these racks and they look great, but do you have confirmation both from All Pro and from anyone who has bought/custom ordered one in the last year and had it delivered timely.

I think All Pro has good stuff....I am just VERY skeptical that the FJ rack can even be ordered and delivered.
Yeah it is just a matter of alphabetical order with it showing up first. I will send a message to All-Pro though and see what I can find out about availability but when I talked to them at this last FJ Summit they say they don't list it on their site since it costs more to make a rack in than they get in return, but that you can still contact them and order one.

Quote:
2010armygreen previously said: View Post
You can add Rhino Rack as well.
Good looking option.
I thought about it but it really isn't a true roof rack like those listed, just misc. cross brace options that a generic basket designs sit on.
GammaBruiser likes this.

Last edited by FJX2000; 04-08-2017 at 09:40 PM.
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 11:00 PM
Forum Superstar

Rhino Rack

jamesepoop likes this.

Garage
2010 FJ Army Green
2014 FJ Iceberg
M416 Trailer
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
4-Corners Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Yeah...i get that....but still because of alphabetical order, they get top billing. Same reason there are so many service companies with AA AAA AAAA in their name..at least from the old "yellow pages" days. It seems like an OK way to order the listing of racks (alphabetical), but my real concern is that by sheer virtue of their name they get 'top' billing and I don't think the rack actually exists. I will stand down if someone can point me to recent deliveries of these phantom racks. And, trust me I have nothing against All Pro. I just cant believe the amount of demand for something that basically just disappeared from the market. I have been on the FJ forum since 2009 and in my mind the "we'll have a rack out soon for you" has become a running joke for the old-timers on the forum.

I certainly haven't searched for every thread, so I am definitely open to the possibility that I am just not up to date on their current offerings and will happily delete or remove my comments in this thread if they actually exist and can be purchased/delivered.
Well I just heard back from All-Pro and it turns out they no long offer their FJ roof rack. I changed the info to not available in the comparison listing and I may keep the All-Pro listing there if folks aren't too opposed to it since it is such an iconic roof rack and that way people can see it.

Quote:
2010armygreen previously said: View Post
Rhino Rack

Ahh that does look nice! See I couldn't find anything like that on their website, so do you have a link by chance? I'd happily add it to the listing. Their website search function was a little odd for me so I never saw something like that.
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 07:40 PM
Forum Superstar

Done.

I think it is a new option for them.

They make vehicle specific for FJ, Landcruiser, Tacoma, Land Rover, Wrangler JK 2 and 4 door, and soon will offer 4runner according to the ad in the new Overland Journal.

Here us what the ad says.

Rhino-Rack Backbone
Stylish and Aerodynamic design
Minimize wind drag and noise on and off road
non corrosive materials will never rust or fade
strong and durable to allow maximum carrying capacity
massive dynamic and static load ratings
compatible with a large range of Rhino-Rack accessories
additional rail kits available

FJ Cruiser Static Load Rating up to 800 lbs

Here is the Backbone on Rhino Rack website

RFJB1 - Rhino-Rack Backbone 3 Base Mounting System - FJ Cruiser | Rhino-Rack

From there you can add a flat rack or one with side. A few different sizes.

Fit My Car | Rhino-Rack

Here is a link for instructions

http://vpm.cdn.rhinorack.com.au/Inst...ions/RFJB1.pdf

Garage
2010 FJ Army Green
2014 FJ Iceberg
M416 Trailer

Last edited by 2010armygreen; 04-10-2017 at 07:49 PM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Interior / Exterior Visual Tech

Tags
comparison , complete , rack , rails , roof

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in