Expedition One Mule Expedition Ultra Rack - Page 10 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Interior / Exterior Visual Tech This section contains discussion related to visual modifications of the Toyota FJ Cruiser. Some items might include dash kits, roof rack modifications and other visual modifications.

107Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 102 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Expedition One Mule Expedition Ultra Rack

Yep I was also in the same boat. Somewhat baffleing to me that Expo 1 has had this rack out for a couple of years now (not just the FJ but the 4Runner and Tacoma racks) and now they have one for the JL Jeep as well which I am sure will prove to be quite popular, but yet they still don't have any attachment options for anything. I have chatted with them about this and they mention that they have mounts for RTT, geri can, and hi-lift jack.

I think I've figured out a simple way to get my tent up there but I had to custom fabricate some brackets that will mount my awning. I should have them back from the powder coater soon and when I do I'll post pics.
IDFJ and Desmopilot like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 102 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I think Iím going to fab up some mounts for a rotopax and I also think I could figure out mounts for an awning. I really want a good way to mount the hi-lift without drilling the rack....wish they would release some of those items if they have them.
IDFJ and Desmopilot like this.
post #93 of 102 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 11:26 PM

Garage

I've been in contact with ExpOne and it seems they are in no rush to get out any brackets to actually make their roof racks useable for the general public. Which is honestly a let down because I had high hopes for them making this roof rack something special. I still love the rack don't get me wrong, and I'm not trying to be too negative towards ExpOne, they really did design an incredible looking and functional rack, but it's been over two years now since they introduced this rack and they still don't have a single piece that allows other things to be properly mounted to it. Not to mention they are selling these racks for the Tacoma, Tundra, 4Runners, Jeeps and a few other platforms. I feel one last downside of this rack is ExpOne didn't give the rack extruded cross bars so we can't just go and use options from Front Runner or the like.

Soo that just means I had to get crafty and come up with my own solutions, which is ok in my book, I like solving problems. I would have started on these projects sooner had I known that ExpOne wasn't going to be proactive about getting their mounting options out there. For those others who don't have the means to make this stuff, it truly is a bummer as all you have is basically a cool looking roof rack that you can strap some bungies down to to secure things, or drill into the load bars to mount stuff, or find a fabricator who can make something work. Thankfully ExpOne did give the rack plenty of holes to come up with mounting solutions for different accessories.

First bracket I made up was one for my Rhino Rack Batwing awning. It's very similar to the brackets that come with the awning just designed in a way to easily work with the rack without drilling any holes anywhere. I think the pictures below make it easy to understand what I did.

Working on a load bar setup for the the Tepui RTT next. Just getting all the dimensions sorted out in Fusion 360 first. The RTT load bars will mount to the top side of the inner rail and will position the bottom of the tent just above the edge of the side rail. Hoping to have these finished up by next week.

If anyone needs these mounting solutions, let me know, I'd be happy to make up some others for a fair price.

Last edited by 406cruiser; 06-04-2019 at 11:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 102 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:34 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Garage

Those brackets look great! I was just thinking how bummed I am that there are still no mounting solutions from Exp 1. I would be very interested in brackets to mount a side awning. I don't have a brand picked out, but would roll with whatever model you could build the mount for. Have you thought of any other ideas, say Rotopax mounts?

I'm securing my Tred boards using the Tred mount and a couple reinforced gun belts to strap it down. Very secure but I wish it was more developed like the stuff you're fabricating.

2014 Quicksand -The Honey Badger-
post #95 of 102 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 06:36 PM

Garage

Quote:
Desmopilot previously said: View Post
Those brackets look great! I was just thinking how bummed I am that there are still no mounting solutions from Exp 1. I would be very interested in brackets to mount a side awning. I don't have a brand picked out, but would roll with whatever model you could build the mount for. Have you thought of any other ideas, say Rotopax mounts?

I'm securing my Tred boards using the Tred mount and a couple reinforced gun belts to strap it down. Very secure but I wish it was more developed like the stuff you're fabricating.
Yeah it is definitely a bummer. To have such a well designed and executed roof rack and then not have any mounting solutions for it is a bit unfortunate.

I do believe that most of the awnings use a very similar bolt spacing but I am not 100% sure on that. Would be no issue to fabricate an awning mount for the exact awning you end up running. As you can see I opted for the Rhino Rack batwing awning.

The fabricator I use to weld up all my design ideas just finished up with the RTT load bars right before the weekend. I'll post some pics when I get them uploaded but I thought I would be able to get my arm under the tent to fasten a bolt and nut on either side of the load bar but I soon realized that would be impossible to do with the load bars that came with the rack. I left some that would be underneath the tent with the thought that I might be able to slide a table under the tent but the way I designed the RTT load bars I wanted the tent to sit as low as possible and sit just above the sides of the rack, which we accomplished but there is less room under there then I imagined! Pics to follow that will make this clear and I'll explain more of the design of the RTT load bar.
Desmopilot likes this.
post #96 of 102 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:32 PM

Garage

Here are some pictures of the RTT load bars I designed and had welded up. They are made out of aluminum to keep the weight down but I see no issues with durability on these. All the weight is towards the very outside edge of the bars. I have ran a few stress test simulations in Fusion 360 and the bars are over-engineered for the weight they will ever see. The tent will come back off shortly and the bars will most likely get hard anodized because that's what I do at work and I'm curious how that will turn out. I realized that with the ExpOne load bars in there the way I have them now there is no possible way my hands are getting nuts on the bolts on the insides of the rails. I did a 400 mile trip this weekend with plenty of off road and highway driving with the load bars in place and the tent held on with 4 grade 8 bolts and had no issues or signs of the tent not being secure but for piece of mind I'd still like to get 4 more bolts holding the tent down.

The load bars are attached to the side rail of the rack using a simple plate with steel nuts welded onto the plate kind of creating a sandwich of the load bar and the rack side rail. Simply lineup the bottom plate with the load bar and bolt it down.

post #97 of 102 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 06:30 PM
Forum Regular

Garage

That is so awesome! I would love to order some custom brackets from you once I know what awning I want. Any other plans for equipment mounts on the rack?

post #98 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 03:25 PM

Garage

Quote:
That is so awesome! I would love to order some custom brackets from you once I know what awning I want. Any other plans for equipment mounts on the rack?
Besides the awning mounts and the RTT load bars I haven't got around to anything else just yet. Have some ActionTrax that I need to figure out a place to mount them and the rack might be the spot for them but I haven't fully decided on that yet. I'll keep this thread updated as I make progress on the current setup and if I come up with anything else.

What would you like to see for other equipment mounting solutions!?
Desmopilot likes this.
post #99 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 07:45 PM
Forum Regular

Garage

Quote:
406cruiser previously said: View Post
Besides the awning mounts and the RTT load bars I haven't got around to anything else just yet. Have some ActionTrax that I need to figure out a place to mount them and the rack might be the spot for them but I haven't fully decided on that yet. I'll keep this thread updated as I make progress on the current setup and if I come up with anything else.

What would you like to see for other equipment mounting solutions!?
I'm still developing ideas for how I can use the roof rack and the FJ. Right now, an awning and my TRED's are the most prominent candidates. Mounting a Rotopax type item on the roof might be interesting for fuel, water or equipment, though the idea of fuel on my roof makes me uncertain. I don't see a roof top tent in my immediate future.

Thank you for keeping this post updated with your ideas and developments! Wheeling is fairly new to me, so I am very interested in all the options.

post #100 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 10:02 PM

Garage

Quote:
I'm still developing ideas for how I can use the roof rack and the FJ. Right now, an awning and my TRED's are the most prominent candidates. Mounting a Rotopax type item on the roof might be interesting for fuel, water or equipment, though the idea of fuel on my roof makes me uncertain. I don't see a roof top tent in my immediate future.

Thank you for keeping this post updated with your ideas and developments! Wheeling is fairly new to me, so I am very interested in all the options.
I'm going to be making a set of awning mounts for vudoo, would be happy to make you a set as well. I told him $100 shipped for a raw set of brackets. I had mine powder coated but in the end I feel that's not really necessary and with the super duper small one off volume these will be made in there's just no point waiting for them to get powder coated when rattle can paint will protect them just fine.

For the TRED's I'd say your best option is to get a set of their mounting pins and just bolt them down to the load bars. Since you don't plan on running a tent you'll have plenty of room on the rack to make that work. I've discovered that you can take off all of the load bars if with the rack mounted on the roof without too much trouble. So popping a couple of the load bars off and drilling a few holes in them to mount the TRED plates would be the way I'd go about it.
Desmopilot likes this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Interior / Exterior Visual Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in