Consensus on wiper blades for snow? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Interior / Exterior Visual Tech This section contains discussion related to visual modifications of the Toyota FJ Cruiser. Some items might include dash kits, roof rack modifications and other visual modifications.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Consensus on wiper blades for snow?

What's the consensus on the right wiper blade that will work well in heavy snow conditions?

I've read many of the threads, and most of them diverge into failed rubber refills, failed aftermarket options, discussions of fluids and heating them, heated windshields, or other sidetracks.

The core issue is the factory blades don't do a good job of keeping pressure in the middle of the blade. I see this across all temperatures. Mostly I see the issue on the right blade, but also left, and to a lesser degree the middle.

Even at low speeds with temps in the mid-20's and the heater blasting full defrost the blades don't work correctly.

Q1: Will simple lubrication of the factory wiper blade assembly solve the issue but not wash away?
Q2: Is there a good aftermarket blade that has been shown to keep even pressure and keep the snow clear?

My goal is to find the best blade solution, not to install more heaters. My Gen1 4Runner with its massively longer paltry two wipers does far better than the FJ.

Blueman

'87 4Runner: Original owner, MT5, 22RE, saggy butt lift, Cooper At3 30x9.50R15, 180k trusty miles
'07 FJ Cruiser: MT6 in Voodoo Blue, Yaesu-2m/70cm equipped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 01:46 PM
I Have a V-8!! Moderator

Mentioned: 352 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7035 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
I had good luck with the Sightline wipers from Toyota.

Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens...

I'll ride in on a sunny day, Sing you a song, steal your heart away Like a cowboy Hang my hat like I'm here for awhile Kick off my boots and drive you wild Like a cowboy Well baby you know I can't stay long You wake up, I'll be gone Until then I'll hold on Like a cowboy.

TLCA #9031
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 05:40 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Consensus on wiper blades for snow?

In all honesty I just buy the cheapy $5 wipers at the auto parts store and replace them every year or two. With all the tree sap and crap I get stuck on my windows it just tears up the wipers anyway

Steve.... 07 FJ with almost enough mods.... August 2017 Member of the month
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

I'm going to try the fancy RainX Lattitude2 and will report back.

Blueman

'87 4Runner: Original owner, MT5, 22RE, saggy butt lift, Cooper At3 30x9.50R15, 180k trusty miles
'07 FJ Cruiser: MT6 in Voodoo Blue, Yaesu-2m/70cm equipped
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 07:32 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
BlueMan previously said: View Post
I'm going to try the fancy RainX Lattitude2 and will report back.
I just did the Rainx Lattitude also, and it's snowing now in MA, so I am going out soon to play.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I know this sounds counter intuitive but turn your defrosters off in heavy snow. When you heat your windshield in heavy snow it melts and slushes up your wipers. If your window is cold the wipers just push the snow off. This obviously doesn't work in salty slush conditions but in dry snow it is the ticket. I learned this over 40 years ago from a long haul trucker and it has served me well during the long Wisconsin winters.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 07:40 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Garage

Duralast Winter Wipers are my favorite... cheap and work. I can usually take them off by March in CO and save them for the next winter. I run Sightlines during all other months but they build up with ice so badly in the metal portion that they are garbage in the winter... otherwise best wipers on the market for the FJ. I'm in the same boat, full defroster and heat with no avail.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 08:26 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)

I buy the cheapest ones available at time of purchase. Replace after few years when they start ripping. FJ goes through heavy snow and rain without issues. Makes no sense to me to buy premium wipers when I can replace all 3 for the price of one premium wiper blade.
Recently stocked up in the Rockauto deal for free wipers. Good for many years.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 09:05 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)

I've driven two FJ's for over ten years now, and there is nothing better than the defroster on full blast and new'ish rubber (RainX, Bosch, etc), but I've recently bought these and they've worked the best in my ten years. We've had more snow/ice/rain here in the last 40 days than we've ever had. And with the story coming tomorrow night, we're bound to break that record.

(2) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(1) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

FWIW - These refills went on the factory blades.

Past: 2007 Black Diamond FJC - totaled
Present: 2012 Trail Team Edition Radiant Red

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
BlueMan previously said: View Post
What's the consensus on the right wiper blade that will work well in heavy snow conditions?

I've read many of the threads, and most of them diverge into failed rubber refills, failed aftermarket options, discussions of fluids and heating them, heated windshields, or other sidetracks.

The core issue is the factory blades don't do a good job of keeping pressure in the middle of the blade. I see this across all temperatures. Mostly I see the issue on the right blade, but also left, and to a lesser degree the middle.

Even at low speeds with temps in the mid-20's and the heater blasting full defrost the blades don't work correctly.

Q1: Will simple lubrication of the factory wiper blade assembly solve the issue but not wash away?
Q2: Is there a good aftermarket blade that has been shown to keep even pressure and keep the snow clear?

My goal is to find the best blade solution, not to install more heaters. My Gen1 4Runner with its massively longer paltry two wipers does far better than the FJ.

They’re not cheap, but I have the Bosch Icon’s they’re incredible. I live in Utah and we’ve had quite a bit of snow, even a couple medium blizzards I’ve been out in and they’ve done great. I read mixed reviews about them on FJ’s from some people, but I really like them so far.

I’ve only had them on for about 3 or 4 months, so I can’t comment on longevity, but I replace blades about every 10 months anyways.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Interior / Exterior Visual Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in