Front Plate Mount - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Interior / Exterior Visual Tech This section contains discussion related to visual modifications of the Toyota FJ Cruiser. Some items might include dash kits, roof rack modifications and other visual modifications.

 18Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran
 
sandFJ90210's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 456
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Front Plate Mount

My FJ has no holes in the bumper. I love having the no front plate. However, I drive in areas, where no front plate is enforced, and paying tickets everyday while parked or being a magnet for cops (already fire engine red), isn't going to work.

Is there a way to mount front plate you guys recommend? Or is punching holes in bumper only way? APprecait the help


Attached is a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 1.18.06 PM.png
Views:	34
Size:	4.74 MB
ID:	1075012  
sandFJ90210 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 03:19 PM
formerly 13FJTT
 
BlueRidgeCruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 729
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Front Plate Mount

2 small holes above the lower grill... It's not the end of the world. You can always plug them up when you don't need them.
BlueRidgeCruiser is offline  
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran
 
sandFJ90210's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 456
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
BlueRidgeCruiser previously said: View Post
2 small holes above the lower grill... It's not the end of the world. You can always plug them up when you don't need them.
def not end of the world

Ok i will drill it out in a few weeks then

Friend had suggested velcro or gorila tape. Not sure
sandFJ90210 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:15 PM
Forum Regular
 
TexasFJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Front Plate Mount

When you put on an ARB bumper.....

What doesn't kill me makes me more cynical.


TLCA #26213
TexasFJ is offline  
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran
 
sandFJ90210's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 456
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
TexasFJ previously said: View Post
When you put on an ARB bumper.....
i got the car home today

Already ordered two mods

Would like to enjoy it a bit before bumper
sandFJ90210 is offline  
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 05:07 PM
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Re: Front Plate Mount

Quote:
sandFJ90210 previously said: View Post
My FJ has no holes in the bumper. I love having the no front plate. However, I drive in areas, where no front plate is enforced, and paying tickets everyday while parked or being a magnet for cops (already fire engine red), isn't going to work.

Is there a way to mount front plate you guys recommend? Or is punching holes in bumper only way? APprecait the help


Attached is a picture.
How about putting in a backing plate and bolt through the lower grille using the existing holes.
Use nylock nuts and sandwich the grille between the backing plate and the license plate.

Pat
CRAW likes this.
MtGoat is offline  
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 05:14 PM
Member
 
Prius2FJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Tacoma
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Re: Front Plate Mount

I think another member on here has electronically retractable plates. I bought my FJ pre-owned and it has holes drilled in it from the previous owner, additionally the license plate that used to be there rubbed against the lower portion of the bumper and left scratches. Just FYI.

edit: nice rig. Love the Red.
Prius2FJ is offline  
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran
 
sandFJ90210's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 456
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Prius2FJ previously said: View Post
I think another member on here has electronically retractable plates. I bought my FJ pre-owned and it has holes drilled in it from the previous owner, additionally the license plate that used to be there rubbed against the lower portion of the bumper and left scratches. Just FYI.

edit: nice rig. Love the Red.
Thank you!

Electric sounds fancy. I saw on tesla forum people are doing magnets on both sides of bumper
sandFJ90210 is offline  
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran
 
sandFJ90210's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 456
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
MtGoat previously said: View Post
Quote:
sandFJ90210 previously said: View Post
My FJ has no holes in the bumper. I love having the no front plate. However, I drive in areas, where no front plate is enforced, and paying tickets everyday while parked or being a magnet for cops (already fire engine red), isn't going to work.

Is there a way to mount front plate you guys recommend? Or is punching holes in bumper only way? APprecait the help


Attached is a picture.
How about putting in a backing plate and bolt through the lower grille using the existing holes.
Use nylock nuts and sandwich the grille between the backing plate and the license plate.

Pat
pat

Thanks
Thats a great idea. I will look up what nylock nuts are and see if i can do that

Any idea where i would get a backing plate?
sandFJ90210 is offline  
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 06:45 PM
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Re: Front Plate Mount

Nyloc nuts are nuts with a nylon insert to keep them from unscrewing.

A small piece of aluminum plate or even an old license plate would work.

Home Depot has a everything you need

Pat
CRAW likes this.
MtGoat is offline  
Reply

  Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Interior / Exterior Visual Tech

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
King suspension for the FJ Cruiser TCao Suspension / Steering Tech 297 01-04-2019 07:23 PM
Airbag light on dash MAXXFJ General Discussion 29 11-14-2016 10:58 AM
Front Diff Mount Bushings epm131 4x4 / Off-Road Tech 0 10-24-2015 02:32 PM
Mounting Front License Plate Tim, Ohio Interior / Exterior Visual Tech 1 01-01-2009 05:18 PM
LIFT KITS & SUSPENSION SYSTEMS: Comparisons / buyers guide Fx Enhancements Buyers Guides & Product Comparisons 0 04-20-2006 10:42 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome