Oh deer; Front Bumper replacement - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Interior / Exterior Visual Tech This section contains discussion related to visual modifications of the Toyota FJ Cruiser. Some items might include dash kits, roof rack modifications and other visual modifications.

37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:05 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Oh deer; Front Bumper replacement

Go ARB. Because you know the deer are circulating a picture of you in the forest.
Hannibal and amaclach like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:34 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Garage

As said, the ARB is probably the best value for the money new, but I personally really like my second-hand Demello steel bumper. I got it super cheap because the previous owner killed a deer with it at ~45mph and his insurance bought him a new one. All it took to get it back into fighting shape was a bottle jack and a 2x4 to push the panel with the logo back to straight. The structural parts of the bumper are all still straight and strong. Jason and the crew at Demello are very friendly and helpful as well.
I haven't gotten around to putting in a winch yet, so can't speak to that aspect of the ARB/Exp1/DO comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170719_131726.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	626.6 KB
ID:	1081946  

NESSIE, 2011 NSSE edition

-DO steel rally bumper
-IronMan FCP coilovers
-OME/MetalTech cheap LT rear
-285/70r17 Cooper STT Pro tires
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:04 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Hannibal previously said: View Post
@jimmy-buffett "No that the Expedition One bumpers can't take a deer hit."

Why?
Sorry, I meant this as "NOT that the Expedition One bumpers can't take a deer hit".

Having handled and installed both on several trucks (these are probably the two I've done the most), the mounting to the front frame ends isn't substantially different to make a difference for one over the other. My impression of the grill guard portions of the two bumpers is that the ARB is a bit stronger. First, the tubing is a good bit thicker on the ARB. Second, the center pieces on the ARB is more reinforced than how the Expedition One tubing goes through in the center.

This isn't to take away from the Expedition One -- it's the bumper I chose on both my FJ and 4Runner -- but if you told me to design a truck to chase down and run over deer, I'd pick the ARB.
Hannibal and amaclach like this.

Want to see what FOUR years (updated!) of offroading in Colorado looks like? Click Here

Join the Colorado FJ Cruisers Facebook page for Colorado mod days, trail runs and other organized events! Not from Colorado, but planning a trip here? Join up, we'd be happy to suggest some offroading locations for you or even coordinate a run with the locals!

My CB Radio Install+Parts Thread

Complete Guide to Buying and Selling an FJ Cruiser

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 05:33 PM
A-Team Moderator

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 2592 Post(s)

I read the NO as know... that the Expedition One bumpers can't take a deer hit. And why I asked why?

jimmy-buffett likes this.

トヨタ
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Any help with lighting options? I don't have the option for a rack mounted light bar due to garage height limitations. Are bumper mounted lights just for on road use? I don't see much fog. My typical use case is I am going down a forest road at night looking for a camping spot or I got out of the woods a little late and need some help until I hit pavement.

BAJA Designs Squadron Sport Drive/Combo Round (Black Round Bezel) $254.99
Baja Designs Squadron Sport Led Spot Round (Black Round Bezel) 254.99
Baja Designs Squadron-R Pro Pair Driving/Combo LED( Black Round Bezel) 454.99Piaa 530 LED Fog 254.15
Baja Designs Squadron-R Pro Pair Spot LED (Round Black Bezel) 454.99
PIAA 530 LED Drive 254.15
PIAA 510 SW- Night Tech Drive Beam
PIAA 510 Fog 254.15
PIAA 510 ION (Yellow) Fog Beam 254.15
PIAA 520 ION (Yellow) Halogen Lights 279.95
PIAA 520 Xtreme White Plus Lights 330.00
PIAA 530 LED Driving 254.15
PIAA 530 LED Fog
PIAA LP 530 3.5" LED Back-Up Flood Light Kit 169.15
Hella Optilux 2500 69.99
Hella Optilux 4" LED Fog 250.99
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:59 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Goat242 previously said: View Post
Any help with lighting options? I don't have the option for a rack mounted light bar due to garage height limitations. Are bumper mounted lights just for on road use? I don't see much fog. My typical use case is I am going down a forest road at night looking for a camping spot or I got out of the woods a little late and need some help until I hit pavement.
You gain two things by mounting a light up high: light bars have a lot more LEDs and being high they have a little bit of down angle. Problem is that light bars are $$$.

On both my FJ and 4Runner I've run Ridgid Dually LEDs in the bumper, they provide much better light than your headlights -- in both low beam or high -- and will make a big difference. But I wouldn't expect 8 more LEDs to light up the Earth like a good light bar will. They will just provide a bit more than your stock headlights.

On the FJ a good combo with bumper lights is to run your headlights on high beams, that way they cover up high and the bumper lights cover down low. Can't do this on the 4Runner (the computer disables the LEDs when the headlights are on high) but on the FJ you can.
Kauri likes this.

Want to see what FOUR years (updated!) of offroading in Colorado looks like? Click Here

Join the Colorado FJ Cruisers Facebook page for Colorado mod days, trail runs and other organized events! Not from Colorado, but planning a trip here? Join up, we'd be happy to suggest some offroading locations for you or even coordinate a run with the locals!

My CB Radio Install+Parts Thread

Complete Guide to Buying and Selling an FJ Cruiser

post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:14 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey

Quote:
Goat242 previously said: View Post

BAJA Designs Squadron Sport Drive/Combo Round (Black Round Bezel) $254.99
Baja Designs Squadron Sport Led Spot Round (Black Round Bezel) 254.99
Baja Designs Squadron-R Pro Pair Driving/Combo LED( Black Round Bezel) 454.99Piaa 530 LED Fog 254.15
Baja Designs Squadron-R Pro Pair Spot LED (Round Black Bezel) 454.99
PIAA 530 LED Drive 254.15
PIAA 510 SW- Night Tech Drive Beam
PIAA 510 Fog 254.15
PIAA 510 ION (Yellow) Fog Beam 254.15
PIAA 520 ION (Yellow) Halogen Lights 279.95
PIAA 520 Xtreme White Plus Lights 330.00
PIAA 530 LED Driving 254.15
PIAA 530 LED Fog
PIAA LP 530 3.5" LED Back-Up Flood Light Kit 169.15
Hella Optilux 2500 69.99
Hella Optilux 4" LED Fog 250.99
I run these floods on my front bumper and they work very well. Don't let the off brand fool you - these have outlasted and performed many of the big name lights. I'm getting ready to order another pair because you can never have to much light....right?

https://www.nilight.com/collections/...nt=26252268873

I run this lightbar on the roof, nice slim profile, good output, spot only configuration. It has been holding up very well to the condition over the last couple years. Plus it comes with isolators to eliminate the harmonic drone.

https://www.roughcountry.com/50-inch...r-72750bl.html

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog

Last edited by mikey; 06-11-2019 at 12:28 PM. Reason: forgot links
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

My suggestion is go with a TJM Bumper vs ARB. The two companies make their bumpers in their home country - Australia.

I did a lot of research and actually compared the two bumpers installed on FJ. I also got feedback from each owner.

Despite the similar looks between the ARB and TJM, I prefer the TJM bumper over the ARB. Why? (1) The round tube is much beefier on the TJM. (2) There's more room to mount monster lights on the bumper on the TJM. and (3) There are heavy duty steel plates covering the undersides of the left and right lower wings of the bumper to protect the engine compartment from flying debris and keeps debris from entering the engine compartment from the fender wells.

IMHO, I think the TJM bumper is better designed and built than the ARB.

Heres a photo for your reference.

Happy trailing.

[IMG][/IMG]
Yog and Hannibal like this.

Last edited by URBAN_GENIUS; 06-13-2019 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Picture not showing
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

FYR, one other thing. A member mentioned modification was necessary on aftermarket bumpers for FJ. I don't know about other manufacturer's bumpers needing modifications to make it fit - i.e., the washer bottle or other stuff i.e., transmission lines.

I know for TJM bumpers for FJ, both manual and automatic transmissions, NO MODS are necessary. HOWEVER, make sure you get the correct bumper dependent on whether you have a MT or AT.

I have been told that the powder coat finish and the welding on this bumper is the best anyone has seen on a bumper, I agree - flawlessly beautiful.

Happy trailing...
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:05 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
jimmy-buffett previously said: View Post
1. I've installed or help to install pretty much every major bumper made for the FJ, including the Demello. I'm not a fan. Control box mounting is always an issue and everything on this bumper is a tight fit.
There are tradeoffs in everything...that tight fit is because the Demello is the most tucked in and up of all the bumpers I have seen. Some of them are just massive slabs of metal hanging way off the front. Great for bashing deer I imagine, but sucks from a weight distribution and approach angle standpoint, and many of them just look ungainly IMO.

But as I said there are tradeoffs in everything, the OP will just have to decide what attributes are important to him.

Steve in MN
Sponsored by Blue Sun Corporation
2010 FJ, now with exciting grill and shifter knob mods

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Interior / Exterior Visual Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in