Oh deer; Front Bumper replacement - Page 4 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Interior / Exterior Visual Tech This section contains discussion related to visual modifications of the Toyota FJ Cruiser. Some items might include dash kits, roof rack modifications and other visual modifications.

37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Oh deer; Front Bumper replacement

Quote:
JDEMELLO previously said: View Post
Just wanted to update to this thread.

We started adding solenoid mounting to the inside of our bumpers along with slotted holes for the winch so it can be adjusted.
Thanks Jason, you anticipated the phone call I was about to make on this very matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

At what point in the process should I install a aux transmission cooler? Before bumper install, after install or does it matter at all? Going with the Hayden 679?
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Dear Goat242,

There are only two “safe” places to put a cooler of the size you’re considering (11x11)

What is the purpose of the cooler? Is the cooler’s main purpose to cool the tranny when towing? Or is the purpose for cooling during heavy duty 4X4?

If the purpose is to use the cooler for towing, the only place to put the cooler is in front of the condenser. If the purpose is for cooling during 4X4, the best place is to add an electric fan and place it in the engine compartment. You will not have any room for the cooler and an electric fan in front of the condenser. Why is this option not recommended? Because a cooler in front of the condenser WILL NOT get enough airflow at low speeds to cool the tranny while 4X4ing.

It is always best to install a cooler before completely mounting the bumper because most aftermarket bumpers may require tranny line mods because of obstruction during install or modification for safety from exposure to sudden impact from aftermarket bumper’s lack of protection of the stock line location.

Last edited by URBAN_GENIUS; 06-13-2019 at 08:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Pulled the trigger on the DO evil eye aluminum. Added the winch and lights and got the fathers day discount. This is the bumper I zeroed in on a few years ago and I'm sticking with it. Looks like it will be multiple months before delivery which will give me plenty of time to research the electrical aspect of this install which is new ground for me.
ZerosFJ likes this.
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 12:37 PM
Mean Time Moderator

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1381 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Goat242 previously said: View Post
At what point in the process should I install a aux transmission cooler? Before bumper install, after install or does it matter at all? Going with the Hayden 679?
I would install it before the bumper. If you have a bumper with hoops then it will make it a little more awkward. The cooler is an easy install and some good threads on how to do it. I mounted mine to the left side of the radiator using existing holes etc to mount.
bazross likes this.

2014- FJC Cement "Eddystone" US spec personal import - mods in progress https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...eddystone.html
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 12:44 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
bad wolf previously said: View Post
go arb. Because you know the deer are circulating a picture of you in the forest.
Name:  deer-in-headlights.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  262.5 KB
ZerosFJ and Bad Wolf like this.

Jade -- 2013 Army Green AT Crawl -- US Offroad Winch Mount / Warn 10K synthetic -- BMC -- Light Racing Upper Control Arms -- Bilstein 6112 / OME rear springs / Bilstein 5100 -- Metal-Tech Red Eye Rear Bumper -- URD Stainless Exhaust -- Cooper STT Pro LT285/70R17 E / Factory Alloys -- Smittybilt Nerf Bars -- Diode Dynamics / Light Bar / HID / LEDS -- Springtail Solutions Side Rack -- Ellis Precision - Goodies -- Cobra 75 WX ST / Bandi / 3' Firefly -- Front Runner Storage Drawer

post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 12:48 PM
Mean Time Moderator

Garage

@Goat242 good choice. I have a Demello rear bumper and am impressed with their detail for strengthening etc.

Quote:
URBAN_GENIUS previously said: View Post
My suggestion is go with a TJM Bumper vs ARB. The two companies make their bumpers in their home country - Australia.

I did a lot of research and actually compared the two bumpers installed on FJ. I also got feedback from each owner.

Despite the similar looks between the ARB and TJM, I prefer the TJM bumper over the ARB. Why? (1) The round tube is much beefier on the TJM. (2) There's more room to mount monster lights on the bumper on the TJM. and (3) There are heavy duty steel plates covering the undersides of the left and right lower wings of the bumper to protect the engine compartment from flying debris and keeps debris from entering the engine compartment from the fender wells.

IMHO, I think the TJM bumper is better designed and built than the ARB.

I had a TJM on my old 70 series. Apart from being insanely heavy it proved to have a major flaw in the design, much like many other bumpers available, which is a weakness where the cut outs were for the winch. A very minor rub on a tree and the centre plate kinked.

My big hate of both ARB and TJM is they have a very generic design for all fitments and to me that means the styling of the vehicle is lost, morphing into that single ARB look.
Lee44 likes this.

2014- FJC Cement "Eddystone" US spec personal import - mods in progress https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...eddystone.html

Last edited by ZerosFJ; 06-15-2019 at 12:51 PM.
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Quote:
ZerosFJ previously said: View Post
@Goat242 good choice. I have a Demello rear bumper and am impressed with their detail for strengthening etc.

I had a TJM on my old 70 series. Apart from being insanely heavy it proved to have a major flaw in the design, much like many other bumpers available, which is a weakness where the cut outs were for the winch. A very minor rub on a tree and the centre plate kinked.

My big hate of both ARB and TJM is they have a very generic design for all fitments and to me that means the styling of the vehicle is lost, morphing into that single ARB look.
I was not familiar with the 70 Series bumpers so I looked at it online. You are correct, the bumper on the 70 Series LC was not designed very well. Basically it is just a simple “C Channel” bumper design. I can see how a little hit would cause alignment issues.

However, the OP and I are talking about 2006-2014 FJ bumpers. If you look at the bumpers for the two different vehicles, you will see that the FJ bumper is better designed structurally with compound angles in the middle and ends. This multiple folded design creates a much stronger bumper. Comparing the FJ and the 70 bumpers are night and day different.

I can attest to the TJM bull bar bumper because I have had it installed on three FJs that I’ve owned - 2006, 2008 & 2014. The reason I no longer own the 2006 & 2008 is because I put over 175,000 miles on each and both were driven in heavily salted environment. I currently moved to Texas and drive the 2014 FJ. All three custom ordered from Japan with the options I wanted.

Once the bumpers are properly installed, the bumper is very solid. I’ve never had any issues.
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:36 AM
Mean Time Moderator

Garage

Quote:
URBAN_GENIUS previously said: View Post
I was not familiar with the 70 Series bumpers so I looked at it online. You are correct, the bumper on the 70 Series LC was not designed very well. Basically it is just a simple “C Channel” bumper design. I can see how a little hit would cause alignment issues.

However, the OP and I are talking about 2006-2014 FJ bumpers. If you look at the bumpers for the two different vehicles, you will see that the FJ bumper is better designed structurally with compound angles in the middle and ends. This multiple folded design creates a much stronger bumper. Comparing the FJ and the 70 bumpers are night and day different.

I can attest to the TJM bull bar bumper because I have had it installed on three FJs that I’ve owned - 2006, 2008 & 2014. The reason I no longer own the 2006 & 2008 is because I put over 175,000 miles on each and both were driven in heavily salted environment. I currently moved to Texas and drive the 2014 FJ. All three custom ordered from Japan with the options I wanted.

Once the bumpers are properly installed, the bumper is very solid. I’ve never had any issues.

Yes I am well aware that the discussion is about bumpers for FJ’s I was just raising a point that all the TJMs and ARB’s have the same design regardless of model. I wasn’t discussing how many miles they cover or quality of coating in respect to salt just a weakness in design if they are ‘sprung’ lightly on a corner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Finished the washer relocation. I left the OEM washer in place and gently pulled out the pumps.This ground screw got wrapped. I also wrapped the edge of the bracket since it was touching the large hose that goes into the firewall. What is this hose? It's the lower hose in the first picture and in the center of the picture with the bracket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WasherWire.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	1086402   Click image for larger version

Name:	WasherBracket.jpg
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	1086404   Click image for larger version

Name:	WasherInstall.jpg
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	1086406  

Last edited by Goat242; 07-19-2019 at 02:56 PM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Interior / Exterior Visual Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in