Oh deer; Front Bumper replacement - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Interior / Exterior Visual Tech This section contains discussion related to visual modifications of the Toyota FJ Cruiser. Some items might include dash kits, roof rack modifications and other visual modifications.

37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Oh deer; Front Bumper replacement

I hit a deer recently. I have been meaning to go aftermarket front bumper and winch so now is the time. With my high deductible I am only getting a $120 check. Bummer, if I would have known I probably wouldn't have filed a claim. I am going to do the install myself. I installed a Expedition One rear bumper so this should be in my wheelhouse, wiring up the winch will be something new for me since I haven't done electrical.

I guess the only risk if I DIY is if there is additional damage I may not notice which a body shop pro would. It's driving straight. I think it's unlikely there is additional damage.

Two (initial) questions.

If a pull the bumper off now is it unwise to run for a month or two without it?

Whats the busted green part called under the orange light? I need 2011 TT army green.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bumper1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	1081790  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:02 PM
A-Team Moderator

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 2592 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Oh deer; Front Bumper replacement

I say, Leave it on. It'll protect the lower end of the radiator and AC condenser.

The filler panel has one clip holding it on. If you haven't lost it yet, pull it off and buy a new clip. The panel part number should be on the back.

The E1 front bumpers are an easy install and weigh around 110-130# without the winch. If you go aftermarket bumper, you'll need to change the washer fluid reservoir too.
Iconic_ likes this.

トヨタ
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Thank you sir, I recovered the clip and the part number is 52512-35100-G0. If I am not mistaken the 2011 TT green is the same green as the non-TT green. I am looking at the Demello evil eye. I always thought I'd go aluminium but I may reconsider and go steel. I have an icon stage 2 suspension so should be good either way. Winch is TBD. The Shrockworks Disconnect Switch and Bracket looks good. The Shrockworks Windshield Washer Fluid Reservoir looks like a nice piece of engineering and it should be for that price.

Makes sense to leave the bumper in place in the interim (even though I'm itching to make it go away)
Hannibal likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 01:06 AM
A-Team Moderator

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 2592 Post(s)

2011 Army Green is paint code 6V7 www.automotivetouchup.com and it's a perfect match.

I have the E1 Kodiak with the Shrockworx Rez and aux battery tray.

トヨタ
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 01:55 AM
Mean Time Moderator

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1381 Post(s)
Garage

A winch is an easy install. Just be sure you don't link the live direct to the battery but install a fuse link and an isolator in line.

2014- FJC Cement "Eddystone" US spec personal import - mods in progress https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...eddystone.html
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 09:44 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)

how high is your deductible. That seems like $1k plus worth of damage to the front.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:53 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Bummer.

I have that little panel in white if you want it. I hit a drunk last fall and it was just dangling there, so I pulled it off and forgot to give it to the repair shop.

Dan
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:33 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Goat242 previously said: View Post
I am looking at the Demello evil eye. I always thought I'd go aluminium but I may reconsider and go steel. I have an icon stage 2 suspension so should be good either way. Winch is TBD.
A few pieces of advice:

1. I've installed or help to install pretty much every major bumper made for the FJ, including the Demello. I'm not a fan. Control box mounting is always an issue and everything on this bumper is a tight fit. Personally, the easiest bumper to install is the Expedition One. If you expect to hit more deer, the ARB will be the strongest. If you expect to winch 100 times a year, the ARB will be the strongest (they clock the winches so that the bottom of the winch is facing forwards, I've never seen anybody else do this, it's an amazingly strong design).

The trade-off between the Expedition One and ARB offerings is style vs functionality. No that the Expedition One bumpers can't take a deer hit, but the ARB one is literally designed for hitting Kangaroos. So that's the decision I'd make in your situation: Expedition One vs ARB. I'm on my second Expedition One bumper ('11 FJ and '18 4Runner).

2. Pick your bumper before you pick your winch. In fact, I'd let the bumper manufacturer suggest the winch. They don't all fit every winch, and your biggest requirement is that the winch has to fit.

3. Don't sweat the wiring install on the winch, it's literally two great big wires: positive and negative. Directly to the battery is good, or if you want to control when you can use it, to some sort of electrical management system (SPOD etc) is good too.

4. For winch selection, wired > wireless as batteries go dead. Also, don't store your winch controller in the back of the truck, put it in your driver door pocket. One day when you get stuck and can't crawl to the back of your truck to get the winch controller, you'll understand why

Want to see what FOUR years (updated!) of offroading in Colorado looks like? Click Here

Join the Colorado FJ Cruisers Facebook page for Colorado mod days, trail runs and other organized events! Not from Colorado, but planning a trip here? Join up, we'd be happy to suggest some offroading locations for you or even coordinate a run with the locals!

My CB Radio Install+Parts Thread

Complete Guide to Buying and Selling an FJ Cruiser

post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 01:03 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)

The ARB is #1 for style also. Win, win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
amaclach likes this.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 01:52 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Sparky of SoCal previously said: View Post
The ARB is #1 for style also. Win, win
Not a chance square, ugly, and overbuilt for killing 'roos:

VS angles and curves and stuff:

But seriously, if your goal is to buy the most metal from a bumper company for the least amount of money, the ARB is the way to go. There's a reason why you see so many of these, they're the battering ram of the aftermarket bumper world.
amaclach and Kauri like this.

Want to see what FOUR years (updated!) of offroading in Colorado looks like? Click Here

Join the Colorado FJ Cruisers Facebook page for Colorado mod days, trail runs and other organized events! Not from Colorado, but planning a trip here? Join up, we'd be happy to suggest some offroading locations for you or even coordinate a run with the locals!

My CB Radio Install+Parts Thread

Complete Guide to Buying and Selling an FJ Cruiser

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Interior / Exterior Visual Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in