Fj Cruiser Overland Mounting Question - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Interior / Exterior Visual Tech This section contains discussion related to visual modifications of the Toyota FJ Cruiser. Some items might include dash kits, roof rack modifications and other visual modifications.

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up Fj Cruiser Overland Mounting Question

Hello. I am starting my overland build on my 2014 FJ Cruiser and have a couple questions.

I am curious on how I could mount a hi lift jack, 20lb propane tank, 2 jerry cans for water and fuel (or just 2 for water), and a shovel and axe to the spare tire on the back.

I am using a baja rack and Ikamper skycamp 2.0 (or maybe xcamper) on the roof and I think it would be the most aesthetic, convenient, and fuel efficient to have these items mounted on the back around the tire. What are your guys suggestions?

PS: I know its probably not feasible to mount all these things onto the spare tire. If so, what are the other mounting options that are aesthetic, convenient, and fuel efficient?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:08 AM
Mean Time Moderator

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1381 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Fj Cruiser Overland Mounting Question

I would suggest you invest in a good rear bumper with swing out if you want to hang all that lot off the spare.

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...on-thread.html
HERSOG and FJFool like this.

2014- FJC Cement "Eddystone" US spec personal import - mods in progress https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...eddystone.html
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:58 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
lamabamalane previously said: View Post
20lb propane tank
I kinda feel like you have a decision to make here, no space-saving grill you'd bring needs this much propane (3-4 of the 1lb tanks are plenty) and the hard-core overlanding guys all end up with trailers with mounted propane anyway.

I have a CampChef Three-Burner but that's not for overlanding, that's for cooking for 40 people on a trail clean-up day.

Want to see what FOUR years (updated!) of offroading in Colorado looks like? Click Here

Join the Colorado FJ Cruisers Facebook page for Colorado mod days, trail runs and other organized events! Not from Colorado, but planning a trip here? Join up, we'd be happy to suggest some offroading locations for you or even coordinate a run with the locals!

My CB Radio Install+Parts Thread

Complete Guide to Buying and Selling an FJ Cruiser

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:13 PM
A-Team Moderator

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Quoted: 2591 Post(s)

Go look up SACKWEAR and check out their rear bumper setup on the FJ40 Trooper.

トヨタ
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
ZerosFJ previously said: View Post
I would suggest you invest in a good rear bumper with swing out if you want to hang all that lot off the spare.

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...on-thread.html
Thanks for the reply. What rear bumper do you recommend?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
jimmy-buffett previously said: View Post
I kinda feel like you have a decision to make here, no space-saving grill you'd bring needs this much propane (3-4 of the 1lb tanks are plenty) and the hard-core overlanding guys all end up with trailers with mounted propane anyway.

I have a CampChef Three-Burner but that's not for overlanding, that's for cooking for 40 people on a trail clean-up day.
Yeah I agree. I want the propane setup so I can also run my Mr. Buddy heater in colder situations. Those smaller propane bottles add up overtime also and having the propane bottle on the back saves some space in the car. But thats the option I have to weigh. Buy a propane mount or just go with the little bottles.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 01:23 AM
Mean Time Moderator

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1381 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
lamabamalane previously said: View Post
Thanks for the reply. What rear bumper do you recommend?
There are lots of good swing aways out there, decide what you need and go for the one that closest meets that requirement.

2014- FJC Cement "Eddystone" US spec personal import - mods in progress https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...eddystone.html
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 06:02 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)

I have a Metal Tech Red Eye swing out and very happy with it.
It weighs 145 lbs dry and you can mount anything on it.

I have also mounted a home made CO2 tank and is holding up pretty good.

My swing out is the older version and since they updated and changed few things.
New version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FJFool and SelDoomSeen like this.

“There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.”
2010 TT 6MT. 4.56+ARB locker, Icon Coil Over Shocks+FOX 2.5 Rear+Icon UCA. All pro HD steering Kit. Metal Tech tube bumper with Caterpillar GTB 9000 Winch. Light Force Striker 170 HID. K&N cooled Air Intake. Ricochet Skid Plate. All-Pro Rear LCA. ARB Half Rack. Boztech Diff skid 285/75/16 Goodyear MTR, Edelbrock Exhaust. URD Short Shifter. Total Chaos LCA Skids.
And Death Valley Is The Place To Be
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:08 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Garage

Craig from Refined Cycle Off Road makes some amazing products. I have only really needed the 5lb tank for most applications. If you want to carry more than what you see in my setup then I'd highly recommend a dedicated rear swing out bumper like MetalTech or Expedition One.

And because someone will ask.. "no" not all of this weight is directly on the rear door. The gas cans are also supported by a brace tied into the door hinge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190430_162110655.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	383.1 KB
ID:	1082962   Click image for larger version

Name:	combo 1.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	328.8 KB
ID:	1082964   Click image for larger version

Name:	combo 2.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	376.8 KB
ID:	1082966  
HERSOG and FJFool like this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage

One thing to consider, how much weight do you really want on your back door? That is the nice thing about a swing out bumper, the weight is transferred to the frame(the not nice thing? $$$$$!!). I have heard different numbers on max weight of the rear door, but I personally think I wouldn't go over 200 lbs including spare while driving, at least off road. Parked I wouldn't even worry about weight when the door is latched. Street driving I could go a little higher, 250ish I guess. I have the Garvin trail rack, which mounts to the spare tire mount bolts, and then the spare mount bolts to it, and Garvin says not to exceed 75 pounds on the rack. I didn't weigh the rack, but I would guess its 15-20 pounds or so. A larger spare could run up to 100 lbs or more with rubber and wheel. 5 gallon Jerrys could weigh close to 50 lbs each, full, if you factor the can and carrier brackets. A Hi-lift might hit 30 lbs or more. and then you have 20 lbs of propane, axe? shovel? plus the carrier brackets to hold this stuff.. Its the internet, so I am sure there may be people who disagree with me.. Just something to consider. Don't take my word for it, but just thought I would share my opinion. =)

Bottom line, I think you could find a way to mount all this stuff, but not sure if you would want to.
darkhorse13, HERSOG and FJFool like this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Interior / Exterior Visual Tech

Tags
jack , mount , overland , propane , tire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in