Front Bumper ? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Interior / Exterior Visual Tech This section contains discussion related to visual modifications of the Toyota FJ Cruiser. Some items might include dash kits, roof rack modifications and other visual modifications.

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Front Bumper ?

So one of my end caps on my front bumper was hit this weekend. I am thinking it a good excuse to upgrade the front bumper. Any suggestions on which is the best winch bumper to buy?. Another option is I remember someone use to make flat covers to replace the ends or wings to keep them from sticking out in front of the tires. Does anyone remember where I can get some of these if I choose not to upgrade to a winch?

Thanks.

2008 Tan FJ Cruiser

"Be Happy Here or Be Happy Somewhere Else"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 09:59 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Front Bumper ?

2012 Army Green "The Mule"
My Build / My Adventures
My YouTube Channel: Chicken River Offroad
http://www.chickenriveroffroad.com
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:54 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Swell-Daddy previously said: View Post
So one of my end caps on my front bumper was hit this weekend. I am thinking it a good excuse to upgrade the front bumper. Any suggestions on which is the best winch bumper to buy?
I've installed or helped to install most of the major bumpers sold for the FJ. My top two suggestions:

1. The ARB bull bar bumper. It's the most metal per dollar of any bumper on the market, if you asked me to design an FJ to run over deer this would be my pick. The winch mounts sideways, which is unique to the ARB (makes for a stronger pull platform). You'll need a winch that can be clocked for this, plenty of choices that will fit. Not the best looking bumper out there, it's function over form.

2. The Expedition One bumper (Kodiak is my favorite looking grill guard setup). Better looking than the ARB, mounts strong to the frame, one of the easier bumpers to install, plenty of winch choices that will fit. Expedition One also sells the washer bottle relocate that you will need for it (high-clearance bumpers expose the bottom of the washer reservoir).

I've had Expedition Ones on both my FJ and now our 4Runner, so that's my personal preference over the ARB. But if you don't mind the looks of the ARB and you want the best deer protection, that's the one I'd go with.

Quote:
Swell-Daddy previously said: View Post
Another option is I remember someone use to make flat covers to replace the ends or wings to keep them from sticking out in front of the tires. Does anyone remember where I can get some of these if I choose not to upgrade to a winch?
It looks like the flat bumper wings guy is still making them: Bumper Wing Eliminators - FJ Bumper WingsFJ Bumper Wings

There was another solution made out of plastic that looked like smaller versions of the existing wings, but those don't appear to be made anymore.
FJFool likes this.

Want to see what FOUR years (updated!) of offroading in Colorado looks like? Click Here

Join the Colorado FJ Cruisers Facebook page for Colorado mod days, trail runs and other organized events! Not from Colorado, but planning a trip here? Join up, we'd be happy to suggest some offroading locations for you or even coordinate a run with the locals!

My CB Radio Install+Parts Thread

Complete Guide to Buying and Selling an FJ Cruiser

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 12:38 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Garage

When making your choice, you have to account for at least three things: intended use, style preference, and budget.

You could start by checking out this sticky.

The Expedition One and ARB bumpers are everything @jimmy-buffett said they are. You really can't go wrong with any of those choices.

Unless you want to go light. Like anything else, going with a lighter bumper has it's plusses and negatives. The obvious negative is that with less metal, you can't be quite as hard on it. If you're going to be running over an adult buck at speed, you want to have the beefiest bumper out there. But, if it's important that you retain some MPGs and most of the lift you paid so dearly for, a pre-runner or tube-style bumper may be the way to go.

Unfortunately, it's much harder to find tube bumper that can accommodate a winch. MetalTech makes this one, and everyone I know who has it loves it. The engineering is thoughtful and sound, it's pre-runner stylings are appealing to those who like that look, and it won't hit your wallet as hard as some other options.

I'm not affiliated with MetalTech, nor do I own any of their products (yet), but this would be my top choice for a winch bumper.
Mulie likes this.

óMIKE

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has caused all the damage to my FJ.
~ Robert Frost

42" Light Bar | Warrior Products Roof Rack | N-Fab RSP Bumper | ARB Skids | 4.0L V6 AT | ToyTec BOSS 2.0 Coilovers | Sway Bar Relocate | Toytec Superflex Heavy Duty Rear Coils | Toytec BOSS Rear Shocks | SPC Adjustable UCAs | Toytec Rear Aluminum 2" Bump Stop Kit | 265/70R/17 Toyo ATs x5 | 2" Wheel Spacers | Rad Rubber Designs Engine Splash Guards | Hi-Lift Extreme Jack
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 11:03 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 1373 Post(s)

Quote:
jimmy-buffett previously said: View Post
I've installed or helped to install most of the major bumpers sold for the FJ.
jb -Any hands-on experience with the Demello front bumpers?

Being primarily set up for overlanding, I don't need something as massive/clunky as the ARB, and would prefer not to add another 120+ pounds to the front end.

I was looking at the aluminum bumpers from Demello, primarily the three-hoop or Baja-hoop models.

Just curious about well-thought out and clean the attachment to the FJ frame is, without any improvised modifications, etc.

FJFool likes this.

Last edited by FJtest; 06-24-2019 at 11:08 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 12:36 AM
Mean Time Moderator

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1415 Post(s)
Garage

@FJtest there is a video or tow on installing the Demello bumpers. I think they fit the same as my aluminium one which is clean and easy to do. Just the fender liners to trim to shape

2014- FJC Cement "Eddystone" US spec personal import - mods in progress https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...eddystone.html
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 12:38 AM
Mean Time Moderator

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1415 Post(s)
Garage

ASwell-Daddy Have a look here
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...on-thread.html
FJFool likes this.

2014- FJC Cement "Eddystone" US spec personal import - mods in progress https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...eddystone.html
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:39 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
jimmy-buffett previously said: View Post
2. The Expedition One bumper (Kodiak is my favorite looking grill guard setup). Better looking than the ARB, mounts strong to the frame, one of the easier bumpers to install, plenty of winch choices that will fit. Expedition One also sells the washer bottle relocate that you will need for it (high-clearance bumpers expose the bottom of the washer reservoir).

Looks like OP has an 08, so the washer reservoir relocation wont be needed. (Even Better!)

I like the Expedition One bumpers as well.
jimmy-buffett likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Thanks Jimmy Buffet and others.

I made an offer on a Warrior 3530 w brush guard but they never responded to me so I just ordered the Bumper Wing Eliminators for now. They have also not gotten back to me after I paid them so I hope they are still in business. This way I can keep the original bumper with the Toyota brush guard. I think I might go with the winch mount that goes at the bottom of the original Toyota bumper. This forum has been online for so many years that I know this topic has been talked to death so please forgive me for bringing it up again.

I only use my FJ to get to my cabin in the Utah mountains during the winter for snowmobiling and during the fall to haul my kayaks to the water. It spends most of it's life sitting in my driveway watching the garage door. I drive it on weekends but a guy opened his door while I was pulling into a parking space this weekend and he took out my front side marker light and front bumper wing.

2008 Tan FJ Cruiser

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Now thanks to ZerosFJ I am looking into either the C4 Fabrication or U.S. Off road winch bumper. Does anyone have experience with either one of these?

2008 Tan FJ Cruiser

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Interior / Exterior Visual Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in