Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Spare Tire Bike Racks?

25K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Racer X FJ 
#1 · (Edited)
Anybody use a spare tire bike rack that just slips over the rear tire (not the ones that have to be mounted to the wheel)?

I've found info on the following models:

Yakima Spare Joe

Hollywood Spare Tire Rack

The Yakima fits up to 32 x 11.5/R15 and "should" fit an OEM FJ tire, but have no tire size info on the Hollywood. Any info on these or any other similar bike racks would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Thule spare me works awesome. Fits stock size tire. Does not work with out mods on a 285 sized tire though.

#3 ·
Doesn't the Thule Spare Me attach via the wheel hub opening? If so, that won't work for me, but thanks anyway.

#4 ·
Marty,

How about just going the other route with a hitch mount rack? -this is what I'll be doing soon.

My thought is the extra weight of a rack and bikes hanging off the rear door/spare mounting point is probably not great for the door itself.

A.W.D.

Reactions: eggsandwich
#5 ·
Hitch mount racks cost too much - $200 to over $400. I have just one bike to carry and most of the hitch mounts are for 4 bikes, but given my experiences today explained below, I may try to find a used one.

Went to a local store that had a Yakima Spare Joe in stock, but it didn't fit on my OEM sized Hankook mud tire -- the outer frame barely reached across the tire tread and the inner frame was too short and hit the wheel instead of the tire. Also bought and then returned a Thule Spare Me at REI. The width of the tire prevented the hub to reach the rack bracket and, like the Yakima, the inner an outer frames were too small for the tire.

Doesn't anyone make a spare tire bike rack for off-road tires? At least, the bike will fit in the back of the FJ, but I can't carry much ofanything else. Oh well . . . :shrug03:

#6 ·
I have the hollywood rack and it fits on the factory tire no problem. I love the rack. I carry 2 bikes on it and have had it since Spring 2007 and no complaints at all. It is very secure. I drove it from San Diego to Death Valley and back during a huge Santa Ana windstorm and was terrified the wind would blow the bikes off - no problems at all.

#11 ·
Hello Swingshiftworker:

I'm thinking about getting the Swagman #64650 XC Cross Country 2-Bike Hitch Mount Rack.

Any updates on how it has performed for you?

Also, what sort of lock are you using to secure rack to hitch?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

:)

#12 ·
The Swagman rack has performed well w/o any problems.

Swagman sells a special hitch lock for the rack, but I decided not to buy it because, even if you lock the supporting bar for the rack to the hitch, all of the attachments to the bar can be easily removed. So, why bother.

The hitch pin supplied w/the rack is bolted into place and no one can remove it w/out a wrench. If you're worried about someone taking the whole thing, it would just be simpler to remove the rack and put it in the cargo area until you return.

So, if you're looking for a cheap, easy to use and reliable hitch mounted rack, the Swagman is something you should definitely consider.

Ciao! :wave:

#13 ·
Swingshiftworker, thanks for your advice and input!

I placed an order for one from Amazon and it should be here tomorrow.

Very surprised at FedEx 2-day shipping--FREE!

Looking forward to same great experience you had and the 70 plus positive reviews from others on this product!

:cheers:

:)

#14 ·
Been reading through the threads here about spare tire racks. Just wondering which Hollywood Rack style people are using? The SR1 version has supports that hug the spare. The SR2 is a bolt on spare rack. I have a 285 BFGR spare tire that matches my set. Any idea if one of these models is better for a larger tire? I’m a little confused how the bolt on one works, and if the FJ camera will get in the way of it.

Thanks!

#15 · (Edited)
I have the Hollywood SR1. It can be adjusted to fit just about any tire size and does not interfere with the rear camera until you put the bike on. Of course, your bike may partially block the camera. I even use it with a spare tire cover with no issues. This is not a perfect rack, but it is a convenient option for carrying one bike on short notice.

It looks like the SR2 would block the camera because it has a bracket that fits in the center of the tire. In fact, I do not think it is even compatible.

#22 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.