Custom BudBuilt Rock Sliders!!! - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Interior / Exterior Visual Tech This section contains discussion related to visual modifications of the Toyota FJ Cruiser. Some items might include dash kits, roof rack modifications and other visual modifications.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Talking Custom BudBuilt Rock Sliders!!!

The details that follow are lengthy, but I wanted to show just how far Bud and his team at BudBuilt went to please a customer. Absolutely top-notch service! If you're only here for the photos, you can skip to the bottom. But if you'd like to hear more about great customer service, please read on.

I've been talking with Bud, on and off, for awhile now about ordering a set of his sliders. You should know (Bud certainly does now) that when it comes to purchasing a product, I'm extremely picky (READ: pain in the @$$). My requirements for sliders were very specific.

Slider Build Requirements
  • I wanted a slider designed with a top plate so my wife and daughter wouldn't have to worry about slipping through the rails when stepping into the FJ.
  • The top plate needed some sort of anti-skid mechanism to avoid slipping when stepping
  • The plating material needed to provide a solid surface for stepping, without adding a lot of additional weight.
  • I didn't want to have to constantly repaint the plating just to avoid rusting.
  • The plate needed to be secure so as to avoid any potential rattling or vibration
  • The slider needed to have a kickout-style design to protect the rear quarter panel on tight trails

Slider Build Solution

Despite my rather extensive requirements, Bud came up with the perfect solution: Aluminum Diamond Plate. The diamond plate pattern serves to strengthen the material somewhat and also provides a rough surface to avoid slipping when stepping. Being aluminum, the plating provides a strong surface for stepping without adding a lot of unnecessary weight. And of course being aluminum, it will not be prone to rusting. Style-wise, Bud already offered both a straight- and a kickout-style slider so we were almost there. The only requirement left was securing the plates in place.

Brief Intermission

As life would have it, I somehow managed to get sidetracked for several months but I resumed pursuit of these custom sliders a few weeks ago in anticipation of the 2nd Annual Northeastern Run at Rausch Creek.

More Requirements

Picking up where we left off, Bud forwarded me a couple photos of another set of custom sliders that they had built for another equally picky customer (most likely also a PITA ). This customer had asked for something very similar except they had requested steel plating instead of aluminum and only wanted a single step piece, housed in the rear-most section of the sliders. But that wasn't all the customer wanted. They also requested that the plate be recessed so that the top surface was even with the top of the slider tubing. Can you believe this guy? What an insane request! Needless to say, I took one look at the pictures, started drooling, and then placed an immediate phone call to Bud.

Here are the photos that Bud sent over:

Nice huh? Now don't get me wrong. I thought the design was phenomenal and extremely well executed. Bud did a fantastic job of meeting the customer's request, building it exactly as the customer wanted. But, being the PITA customer I am, I decided to take it further. The one drawback I saw with the above design is the large number of shiny bolt heads that seemed to form a constellation. Okay, it's not exactly Cassiopeia, but once the plate was powder-coated, the bolt heads did tend to stick out (cosmetically) a bit more than I liked.

The Challenge

My suggestion to Bud? Would it be possible to weld nuts to the bottom of the aluminum plating, as well as weld brackets to the inner portions of the frame tubing, and then use bolts to mount the plates from underneath? Oh, also, can you do this for all four sections of the sliders. And oh, I really like the recessed look. Can you make all four sections recessed too??

Many other shops would have probably hung up the phone at that point. Not Bud. He seemed to take the idea as a challenge and not only agreed to do the work, but spent countless hours over the next few weeks, working many late nights, in an attempt to build something well beyond the normal specs.

The Final Product

Well, after just a few short weeks, I'm here to tell you that the project was a complete success! I present the final product to you now... a completely seamless, but extremely sturdy design that achieves near perfect form and functionality. These things are truly a work of art. Thanks again to Bud and everyone else at BudBuilt who went so far above and beyond. I simply cannot find the words to express my elation and appreciation. Without a doubt, customer service at its absolute best!!

PCDF likes this.

Last edited by BoxOnWheels; 04-21-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 08:36 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to SKINUM
Re: Custom BudBuilt Rock Sliders!!!

Pretty sweet! Just watch out for the ice during the winter.

It's not worth doing if you can't drop some f-bombs along the way!

THE BUILD OF SKINUM CLICK HERE TO VIEW
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 08:56 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to fjessence

that is awesome! looks great!

"Sand Ronin" 08' Sandstorm FJC
TRD Supercharged, Demello 3 hoop front bumper with Acro fogs and 22" LED bar, Demello 3 piece rear bumper with Acro fogs, 50" Curved OZUSA LED bar with Trailworx Fab A-Pillar mounts, Demello Hybrid sliders, All Pro engine skid, Fox 2.5" coilovers with reservoirs, Fox 2.0" rear shocks with reservoirs, 17" KMC Hoss wheels w 285 BFG KM2s

Sand Ronin Build Thread

-Sang
DO Rocks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 09:21 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Extraordinary.

~Eric
KJ4ETF TLCA-18721
2007 FJ Cruiser, Black Diamond -The Nighthawk
A few scratches and some other stuff.

Five Strings, Three Chords, and The Truth.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 09:25 PM
Forum Veteran

Send a message via AIM to NSBCruiser

Those are exactly what I have wanted. So... can I buy a set of them?

'07-AT-4X4, BD, OME Heavy Lift, 285/70-17 BFG KM2 on OEM Steelies w/Hella TPMS, Safari Snorkel, SCUBA Mod, Factory Air Dam w/Off-Road Lights, SAS Fog Lights, Factory Bumper AUX Lights, Hella Matador Work Light, Blacked out exterior/interior, White Bezel w/FJC Forum Badge, Headlight Stone Guards, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 w/Bluetooth/IPod/Rear Camera, Block heater...to many to list

The NSBCruiser build up.
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...b-cruiser.html
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 09:32 PM
Forum Veteran

Beautifully built! Can't wait to see how they look on the FJ... What fantastic customer service, producing exactly what you wanted. I'll be looking into more of his products for sure.

2008, SS, 4x4, AT, OEM off-road package, Icon Stage 1, Light Racing UCA, ATX Artillery 16x9, Maxxis Bighorn MT 285/75-16, Toytec Diff Drop Kit, TRD Exhaust, K&N Filter, a bunch of spray paint of various bits and pieces
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 10:18 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to wuvy

that's kind of what i wanted but slightly different. sorta like diamond shaped holes.. lemme find a pic...

N10CE Fabrications

i just dunno where to get the plates.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 10:25 PM
Forum Regular

Absolutely awesome !!

OK, now that you have paved the way with Bud will these / can these be made available for general public ordering ?? Price ??

Me likey !

Old Fart With A Sandstorm FJC
  • 4x4 AT
  • CQ,C7,Z2,UR,EL,DL,GO,RB,V5,SO,GD(2),WB
  • Eclipse AVN6600 with backup camera, IPOD & Parrot Bluetooth
  • Camburg 2.5" front coils with Camburg rear set up
  • AR Mojave Teflon wheels & 285x70x17 BFG All Terrains
  • Continued Wishing And Hoping For A DeMello Single Hoop Front Bumper
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 09:57 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Those do look great. Bud is the man. Has he made slider skids for anyone yet?

Mitakuye Oyasin.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 10:54 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I'd get these... Hey let's convince bud to do a group buy

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Interior / Exterior Visual Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in