TSB for Sinking Drivers Seat? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Interior / Exterior Visual Tech This section contains discussion related to visual modifications of the Toyota FJ Cruiser. Some items might include dash kits, roof rack modifications and other visual modifications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
TSB for Sinking Drivers Seat?

I have the sinking drivers seat syndrome with my 2007 FJC. When you set the seat height over a few days it gradually sinks and has to be reset.

I read on this forum that there was a TSB for this and even a thread where someone said it had actually been repaired by their dealer as part of the TSB.

I just dropped my FJ at the dealer this morning and explained the problem. He just called me back and said that they could not find the problem with the seat and there was no TSB.

Does anyone know the info on the TSB? Wondering if my dealer made a mistake, or??

Thanks!

Voodoo MT, Upgrade 2, Roof Rack, Side Air Bags

Mods:

All Pro Front Winch Bumper w/Warn M8000 + Winchline Synthetic, PIAA Driving Lights, Color Front Rock Camera, White 16" Steelies, 33" MTZ's, Donahoe Coilovers, Toytec 2" Rear Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Demello Sliders, TRD Exhaust, Atrac/Locker Hack, Raised Diff Breather, Body Mounts Chopped, Toyota Hitch, JL Audio 8" in Stock Box, Polk 4" Dash & Rear Pillars, TWM SS Shift Knob, Locking Gas Cap, High Output Horn, FJ Valve Chromies

Last edited by Alphonse; 05-05-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 01:33 PM
Forum Regular

Re: TSB for Sinking Drivers Seat?

ha, and I thought I was losing my mind. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, I'm sinking too.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
'07 Stock FJ

My Website
post #3 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 01:53 PM
Forum Superstar

Interesting... I cranked mine all the way up in May of 2007 and it hasn't moved on me since?

2007 FJ 6MT black -n- black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 02:04 PM
Forum Superstar

And I'm sorry you are having issues... my above post absolutely didn't help.

2007 FJ 6MT black -n- black
post #5 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 07:09 PM
Forum Veteran

Toyota Support Case No. 073530088 Issued For Sinking Seat Syndrome

dukeofjuke previously said:
My dealership was issued a Support Case Number by Toyota Motor Corporation based on my complaints about the driver's seat gradually sinking from its highest position to its lowest position.

When my FJ was new, I thought my sinking seat was merely an inconvenience, but it quickly progressed into an annoyance followed by a genuine concern for my safety and the well being of the occupants in my vehicle. I now realize that this situation may develop to a point where the driver's seat may suddenly and without warning drop from an elevated position while the vehicle is in motion.

My Southeast Toyota (SET) dealership and Toyota Corporation share my concern for the safe operation of my vehicle as evidenced by the issuance of a support case number. Now it's time for all FJ owners plagued by this problem to insist that their respective dealerships formally document their "sinking seat" problem by notifying Toyota Corporation. Please refer your Toyota Service Advisor to Toyota Support Case No. 073530088 and you can mention that this support case number was issued to Toyota Of Melbourne, 24 N. Harbour City Blvd., Melbourne, FL 32935 (321) 254-8888.

By the way, I know one forum member whose seat (refer to thread "Sinking Seat Syndrome" dated 07-24-07) was replaced under warranty by his dealership and sent to Toyota in California for evaluation. Hopefully, his defective seat, my Support Case Number and all forthcoming forum members' complaints will provide the impetus for Toyota to solve this problem and issue corrective action in the form of a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB).

I'm pleased to report that my dealership finally agreed to replace my sinking driver's seat after thirteen (13) months, five (5) service visits and 27,191 miles.

The proverbial "squeaky wheel" got the seat but I could not have done this without the help from all the forum members who posted their SSS (sinking seat syndrome) complaints. During every service visit, I gave my service advisor copies of all the recent posts regarding SSS. Finally, a post by forum member "bph" on 08-24-08 tipped the scale in my favor. bph reported that his driver's seat failed in a dangerous manner and his dealership replaced it under warranty.

Please be advised that a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) has NOT been issued for this problem. My service advisor said that Toyota made a change to the driver's seat as evidenced by a revised part number 71020-3D032-B0 SEAT ASSY, FR LH. As the result of this part number change, my documented complaints and the help from my fellow forum members, my service advisor said the replacement of my seat was warranted.
I find this very interesting since the 2003 up 4runners still have seat problems with the manual versions of their drivers seats. I cannot believe Toyota has not fixed this yet!

http://toyota-4runner.org/attachment...&postid=214936

Toyota - 4Runner . org Forum - Driver seat movement

Toyota - 4Runner . org Forum - Seat problem part 2

Toyota - 4Runner . org Forum - Seat Problem Part 3

Toyota - 4Runner . org Forum - Clunk/Loose Drivers Seat
Here is an older (2003) but very informative thread on the seat issues the 4runner has been seeing. The second page has the best information:

Toyota - 4Runner . org Forum - 03 4Runner seat rattle
Lastly, and most importantly, you need to make them aware that you are concerned for your welfare because this defective seat could potentially fail suddenly while driving and injure you, the occupants of your vehicle or any other vehicles in harm's way. Check out bph's post on 08-24-08 where he reported "my seat height adjuster completely failed today. It felt like I was going to fall into the back seat when it let go. A bit scary to say the least." This will get your dealership's attention.
The TSB for this appears to be 0334-08, according to my repair ticket.

The seat seems identical to the original. Well, maybe a bit harder
because I haven't had two years of breaking it in. The arm rest doesn't
feel like it pivots forward quite so much. Maybe 10 degrees less forward
pivoting. Not an issue for me since I always lift it up a bit. Otherwise,
no immediately obvious differences.
Your test for "sinking seat syndrome" aka SSS is straight forward. Elevate your seat to the highest adjustment possible and then wait at least five (5) days. After the fifth day, pull up on your seat adjuster lever. If the seat cannot be adjusted any higher, your seat is not sinking. If the seat is able to be pumped even one notch upward, then your seat suffers from SSS.

Note: Make sure that no one drives your FJ during the test period otherwise the adjustment my be compromised. Also, be aware when you enter and exit your vehicle that you don't accidentally catch the adjustment lever on your clothing.

By the way, my old seat sank faster as the FJ got older. My new seat does not sink at all.

Retired Chief Petty Officer
United States Navy Submarine Force

2007 Voo Doo Blue FJ Cruiser (Bad FJ 1)
"Long Haul Road Ready/Off-Road Adventure Trail Capable"
Tires: Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor
Skids: Man-A-Fre/Allpro/Inchworm/Custom Skids
Lift: 2" Bilstein 5100 Series Front Lift/1" Daystar Rear
Extras: 2" Receivers (Front/Rear)/Smittybilt XRC8
ATRAC/All-time Rear Diff/VSC Optional
You Never Know When Needed: Scuba Driver Certified/Dual Battery System

BE AN "ALFA DOG"!

"WHEN WILL THE HOSTAGES STAND UP AND
BECOME FREE MEN AGAIN?"
post #6 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 07:26 PM
Forum Regular

So whats the deal with TSBs? If you are out of warrenty are you SOL? I have a very early build (3/06) and I am concerned about my rear diff, sinking seat, and the brake noise in reverse. If I take my FJ into a dealer will they just send me packing? Will I have to pay for toyota's mistakes myself? We bought my FJ with 30k miles on it and I was past that before I knew about any of these. Is there any hope?
post #7 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Maineyak89 previously said: View Post
So whats the deal with TSBs? If you are out of warrenty are you SOL? I have a very early build (3/06) and I am concerned about my rear diff, sinking seat, and the brake noise in reverse. If I take my FJ into a dealer will they just send me packing? Will I have to pay for toyota's mistakes myself? We bought my FJ with 30k miles on it and I was past that before I knew about any of these. Is there any hope?
I'm sorry to tell you but you are probably SOL, unless they do a blanket recall.
post #8 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 07:39 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Alphonse previously said: View Post
I have the sinking drivers seat syndrome with my 2007 FJC. When you set the seat height over a few days it gradually sinks and has to be reset.

I read on this forum that there was a TSB for this and even a thread where someone said it had actually been repaired by their dealer as part of the TSB.

I just dropped my FJ at the dealer this morning and explained the problem. He just called me back and said that they could not find the problem with the seat and there was no TSB.

Does anyone know the info on the TSB? Wondering if my dealer made a mistake, or??

Thanks!
I have the TSB number at work and will get that for you tomorrow.

Sponge Bob 2007 Sun Fusion , All Pro front winch bumper w/light hoop, 16 TRD Wheels, 285/75r16 BFG A/T ko's, OME 3" lift 885 front 895 rear, ARB Roof Rack with 2 IPF 868 Light Kits up front, KC Back Up flood lights in rear,Bud Built skid plates, Trail Gear rock rails, Hella horns, PIAA Headlights, PIAA Dome lights, PIAA Back up light, MPAC side HD rack, MPAC Straddle, MPAC rear door HD rack, Gobi ladder, Cobra 75 WXST CB, more mods to come. TLCA #3970

TOYOTA LAND CRUISER world's toughest all purpose 4-wheel-drive vehicle! You can follow me but it's gonna HURT!!

www.spongebobsadventures.shutterfly.com

post #9 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Maineyak89 previously said: View Post
Most TSB are for 36 months / 36,00 miles. Have not seen a TSB on rear diff. I have all the TSB info at work can get you numbers if need.

Sponge Bob 2007 Sun Fusion , All Pro front winch bumper w/light hoop, 16 TRD Wheels, 285/75r16 BFG A/T ko's, OME 3" lift 885 front 895 rear, ARB Roof Rack with 2 IPF 868 Light Kits up front, KC Back Up flood lights in rear,Bud Built skid plates, Trail Gear rock rails, Hella horns, PIAA Headlights, PIAA Dome lights, PIAA Back up light, MPAC side HD rack, MPAC Straddle, MPAC rear door HD rack, Gobi ladder, Cobra 75 WXST CB, more mods to come. TLCA #3970

TOYOTA LAND CRUISER world's toughest all purpose 4-wheel-drive vehicle! You can follow me but it's gonna HURT!!

www.spongebobsadventures.shutterfly.com

post #10 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
sponge bob previously said: View Post
I have the TSB number at work and will get that for you tomorrow.
That would be fantastic, thanks!

The sinking seat is going to be quite an annoyance if it's going to get worse over time...

Voodoo MT, Upgrade 2, Roof Rack, Side Air Bags

Mods:

All Pro Front Winch Bumper w/Warn M8000 + Winchline Synthetic, PIAA Driving Lights, Color Front Rock Camera, White 16" Steelies, 33" MTZ's, Donahoe Coilovers, Toytec 2" Rear Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Demello Sliders, TRD Exhaust, Atrac/Locker Hack, Raised Diff Breather, Body Mounts Chopped, Toyota Hitch, JL Audio 8" in Stock Box, Polk 4" Dash & Rear Pillars, TWM SS Shift Knob, Locking Gas Cap, High Output Horn, FJ Valve Chromies

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Interior / Exterior Visual Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in