Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

This intro will probably make me sound spoiled....

3K views 42 replies 23 participants last post by  cnckart 
#1 · (Edited)
... But, I don't mind! :p

I got my new 2012 FJ Cruiser a few months ago as a high school graduation present. Now, there WAS a good reason for this, as I am planning to go to college in the snowy mountains.

The FJ is not my first car, it is my second. My first car, a convertible Mustang, had to be sold because no one in my family believed that it would fare well in the snow.

We looked at cars for months, and finally settled on the FJ because of the 4 wheel drive, comfortable seats, and high safety.

I absolutely LOVE my FJ! It's so fun to drive. The fact that I love driving it more than the Mustang still confuses my parents. People on the road also seem confused. It's not often you see a scrawny girl driving an FJ.

My FJ is black and white. It wasn't my first color choice, but I have grown to love the color. It reminds me of a Tuxedo, and I wish I could somehow put a bow tie on it.

Well, thats my story. I'm happy to meet you all!

See less See more
#3 ·
That's pretty much how I came about mine, except I went from a Mazda Rx-8 and it was because I was tired of such a little tiny sports car and it wouldn't have been too safe driving to Abilene and back periodically for college. Heck, we even got the same color!! Good choice :bigthumb: you'll love the FJ, congrats too!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum.
:cheers:

I go to college in Northern Michigan where we average 225" of snow per year. One of my friends was trying to convince me that I should buy his old Mustang and I told him there is absolutely no use for it up here. You definitely made a good trade, the FJ will not let you down. You will love it.

#6 ·
Thanks for the congratulations! :D

Question. Do the top rack lights that I see on some FJs come with the car as an add on when you buy it, or can you get them separately? I just think they would come in handy if I find myself trapped in a snowstorm. Also, is it possible to add something to the seats to heat them up? That might also be useful.

#8 ·
You would have to replace your seats to heated ones and check out Ebay for those roof rack lights. They are a factory add on but you can have them installed later too.

#7 ·
Yep you sound spoiled :rofl:

Have you noticed any cars slowing down when you are driving behind them? Funny how some think its a cop car because of the black and white paint but it is kinda fun to mess with them because of their stupidity :lol:

Welcome to the forum and I am sure you will love this vehicle far more than your Ford Mistake *cough I mean Mustang

#10 ·
Welcome Allie! Spoiled no doubt! A 2012 no less. At least you recognize it, haha. I'm a tall, scrawny dude driving an FJ so not too different;)

Enjoy your FJ. Now you need a steel bumper to do battle with the deer in the snowy mountains:)

#13 · (Edited)
Okay, cool. Thanks for all the info on the lights and the seats! And for the congratulations!

Too bad the heated sets seem so complicated to install. I was hoping there would be some kind of simple installation , like a heated seat cover, for some reason. Ah, well.

Do you have to install the lights yourself, or can a mechanic do it?

#15 ·
You can always find mechanics to do the work but read this forum for awhile before you start adding and paying for stuff. I am sure you will have plenty of wants and needs but if you aren't careful you can easily get ripped off. Depending on where you live you might find a local group of FJ owners that do mods on the weekends for free or nearly free. Good luck and have fun with your new Toy

#41 ·
Welcome and yes, you are spoiled. I'm gonna do the same for my daughter too I'm sure. It a good, reliable, and safe truck that will give you're parents some piece of mind. My first car was a $250 1978 Dodge Aspen Sc, my parents didn't care what happened to me!
My friend had the same POS- Baby blue and had steering wheel you could move 6" either side and the thing would still not turn...:lol::rofl: I had an 81' Toyota Tercel with 150000miles on it and blown head gasket:lol: We seem to have had similar parents...:cowfrown:

As for the OP - Spoiled...:rofl::cowsmile:

Youll love the FJ. Hook up with FJess, She rocks more hills, rocks and trails than 95% of the members on here with her FJ.

:cheers:

#19 ·
My grandpa might be able to help with installation of lights. He IS a retired mechanic.

He had the funniest reaction to me getting the FJ.
When he first came to see it he was determined to hate it because he believes the ONLY cars you can trust are the American ones. However, after he took a close look at it, sat in it, and watched some off roading videos online, he kind of went insane. By the time he left he seemed to be set on buying all kinds of gadgets for my FJ, especially a scuba.

At this point, I really wouldn't be surprised if one day he bought one himself and tricked it out. :p

#31 ·
...after he took a close look at it, sat in it, and watched some off roading videos online, he kind of went insane. By the time he left he seemed to be set on buying all kinds of gadgets for my FJ, especially a scuba.
Your Grandfather's a good man!

#21 ·
G'day CraftyAllie,
Welcome aboard...from down under.
if you really want a bowtie on your rig ... the only thing stopping you is your imagination
The FJ is so easy to personalize and mod.... it can be done ... and I reckon you would be the first to do it... lol. ... just go for it ... read / research / ask heaps of questions ... we were all newbie's once, and we will all help you ....
Cheers
Baz

#24 · (Edited)
Should I get a metal bow tie or a fabric one? :p
Also, top hat. If it has a bow tie it needs a top hat.
And possibly a monocle.

It would be the classiest FJ Ever.

Also,
Can you buy custom covers for the spare tires? Like the ones often seen on Jeeps.

#29 ·
Yep, and you spelled J**p wrong. It's spelled like this: Heeps.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#26 ·
Hi CraftyAllie,
Everything is possible, it only depends on your budget...
An aluminium bow tie would look cool... especially anodised black
a top hat might be harder to fabricate... but its only money ......
Can't help with the wheel cover, altho I did paint my cover Voodoo Blue to match my paint work..
You could even stick a monocle over one headlight ....
haha ...
just let your imagination and purse run wild.....

Cheers
Baz

#27 ·
You're spoiled, alright. My current FJ will be my 11-year-old's first car when he reaches 18.

Don't put a bowtie on it...that would be like putting eyelashes on it. Beef it up with some cool tires and lights and all the boys will be jealous at school.

#28 ·
I had a 2006 Mustang and it was completely useless in the snow. You made the correct swap. Welcome to the club.

#30 ·
G'day CraftyAllie,
Another option for the bowtie look, could a hood decal.
search the forum and google for hood decals, they can be cut to size n shape, and color and they stick to the hood without damaging it.... and you can easily remove it if you get sick of it....

Cheers
Baz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.