My Second FJ and Some Questions Please - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Introductions & New Arrivals New to FJCruiserForums? Come on in and tell us about yourself. Just get your new FJ? Post about it in here!

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 09:39 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: My Second FJ and Some Questions Please

Welcome. I think you have NFab Nerf Bars there. They bolt to the body, so if you used them as rock rails, you could do some major damage to your truck.

I like my Demello hybrids. They are very strong and work well, but I do think that I would prefer something with a kick-out. In addition to the benefits off-road, that would likely satisfy my family that wishes there was some sort of step.

Good luck with the whine. I am sure that will be easily resolved.

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time." Mark Twain

2013 Trail Team: ICON LT Lift / ICON tubular UCA's / MetalTech rear offset LCA's / Duratrac 285/75R16 / Demello Hybrid Sliders / Industrial Forming Panamint Console Roll Top / Scangauge2 / Springtail/MPAC / FJNEWB SCUBA DRIVER Mod / lzalusky's Washer Reservoir Relocation Kit (Shrockworks) / Demello Aluminum Rally Bumper / LED lights - the cheap ones
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 10:25 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)

Quote:
sgtstriker0331 previously said: View Post
I owned a 2008 a few years ago, which I had bought new. Was back in the market for another FJ. Had some trouble finding a MT in good shape.

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ring-jeep.html

Bought one last night, a 2011 MT in quicksand. I think, anyway. Very close to my old color (sandstorm), but I think a little darker. The dealer had a color label which I don't think matches Toyota's naming convention.

Anyway, the truck is in great shape from what I find so far. It drives beautifully--except it has the high pitched whining noise. I didn't notice it until late last night and then again today, since I had the AC running during the test drive and most of my 3 hour ride home (stupid).

I'm going to take it to Toyota tomorrow morning and beg someone to tell me if it's normal or what, but my 08 didn't whine. I've read some threads about the high pitch whine, and I guess it's alternator or pulleys.

Does anyone have an opinion on the rock rails? I've read about some that are not rugged and not attached to the frame, but I'm not sure if I have that model or not. The steps are a little funky for sliding over rocks but then I don't think I'm going to take my new truck over boulders just yet anyway. Though I'm going to test the gears on some trails this weekend.

Hopefully the pic comes through. Drag and drop is telling me to go to hell tonight.

The pic is my old Honda next to my new FJ. The salesman swapped the plate for me while I was signing papers.

Feels good to be in an FJ again.
Your rails look like the NFab Wheel-Wheel style, the steps are welded, so not removable. The only way to know for sure about the mounting is to bend down and look under the FJ where they attach. It will be very obvious if frame or body mounted. Either way not great for Rock sliding.
Your high pitched whine?? Is it noticeable when the vehicle is moving at any speed or only when driving down the highway, is all quiet while stationary. You did not hear it when hood was open and engine running? If this is the case then your noise could be wind whistle, some have complained about noise after having the windshield replaced. If the whine is there all the time with engine running it could be as simple as the belt on the engine pulley's making noise or the pulley's themselves making noise, it could also be the alternator. Removing the belt will narrow the options if the noise stops. Does the noise stop when you turn off the A/C you had running constantly? There are many possibilities that could make the sound, you need to narrow down when the whining can be heard what makes it louder or quieter or even stop.
Don't just start randomly changing parts, it can get expensive .... Warranty?? it may be best to let the dealer find the source if you are not able to.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Welcome and good luck with this beast!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 08:38 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Garage

Welcome from Colorado.

2012 FJ Cruiser, Silver Fresco Metallic, Convenience and Upgrade packages, Roof Rack, and Towing package, Toytec Boss 3" lift, Light Racing UCA, BMC, Warn Front and Rear Bumpers, Warn Zeon 10-s Winch, Factor 55 Flatlink and Winch Lock, OEM Rock Rails, MB 352 16 X 8.5 -6 offset Wheels, 305/70-16 Goodyear DuraTracs, PIAA 520 Series Driving Lights, Baja Rack Insert, Hi-Lift extreme, DeMello roof rack mounts, Scuba Mod, RCI Front, Transmission, Transfer Case, and Lower Control Arm Skids, Red Line Land Cruiser Lower Link Skids, Ellis Precision Shifter Knobs, Heated Seats, Boztec CB mount, 3' Firestik, Midland 75-822 CB Radio, Garmin Nuvi 500 GPS, hood decal blackout, 10 lb. CO2 PowerTank
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 09:07 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Garage

Welcome from Tennessee No your AC should not whine. I have Demello Hy bird slider & live them . They have saved me a lot of money buy not having body damage that would have otherwise occurred. I would dump the own you have currently & get some good ones if you plan to go out & wheel. Nice looking truck glad that you found what you wanted.

[SIGPIC]07 Sun fusion MT 887X OME Bilstein 5100 TRD short throw shifter Overhead console MOD TRD intake, ARB front & red eye rear bumpers Flow master CAT back EXH 9500 Engo Winch Demello Hybrid sliders Snorkel lefty T case
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 11:57 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Garage

welcome

2011 NSSE - Icon coilover - TotalChaos UCA - SAW rear coils - OME 895 rear medium shocks - Metal Tech slider - Metal Tech tube bumper - Viper Elite 10k Winch - PIAA 520 ATP - Midland 75-822 CB - Boztec antenna mount - Duratrac 285/70x17 - Scuba Mod - Ricochet skids - PIAA dual horn 400/500 - sPOD - Ellis Stealth Shift Knobs - MPAC rear/side rack - PLX Kiwi Bluetooth OBDII - Nestah Edition Firestik Radio Antenna - National Luna Single Battery Monitor - Tantrum Rock Lights - Outrider Shock Armor - Toy Outfitter LCA - Switched DRL's - Front rock cameras - Custom Rear Cargo Storage - Platinum PM-1 Battery - Raingler Cargo Nets - 10LB Powertank
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Welcome. Glad you found the MT look for a while myself before getting my 2008.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 09:57 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
sgtstriker0331 previously said: View Post
So these with the steps are stock 2011? I suspected, but wasn't sure. Definitely seem counterproductive. Thanks for the pics! I'm loving the quicksand. It's funny, from the inside the panels look so much like my old sandstorm that it feels as though I never left.
No, you can get those steps for the stock rails, but I had N-FAB rails .... before I knew better

I have @All-Pro sliders now!! I still have the steps and would like to fab a way to attach them with a quick disconnect, something like the trailer receiver locking bar.

I haven't kept up my build thread, but mine is the one with all the stickers on the outside and patches on the headliner inside

2013 Quicksand

Mikey previously said: "You guys are like built in forum spam........"

"Everything is easy after you figure out how to do it" -- Moose
"Memphis Beer & BBQ":
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...er-bbq-28.html
"FJ Flirt":
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...-fj-flirt.html

"Limb Risers":
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...flector-3.html
"2013 Quicksand and Bronze Wheels":
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ml#post2357199

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. I just got back from Toyota and they said that the noise is a fan, and normal. After they drove it twice without me, I showed up and asked them to ride with me. I made the sound, a lot, and the mechanic said it's normal. Then I asked him to drive it, just to be sure. Still thinks it's a normal fan sound. He said he thinks it will be less noticeable in the fall, when the weather isn't so hot.

I got a good feeling that he knows what he's doing. I felt like they were trying to do right by me and help me to find the problem. I suppose it's good news and all is well. If the alternator was failing, I suppose it would show itself. So I'm going to carry on, enjoy my rig, research the forum for cool mods (rock rails!), and keep an ear on the sounds just to be careful.

Thanks again for all the advice. Hope this is a happy ending.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 05:22 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Garage

Greetings from the Eastern Sierra.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Newbie Town > Introductions & New Arrivals

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in