Noob to the FJ in CO/Front Range - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Introductions & New Arrivals New to FJCruiserForums? Come on in and tell us about yourself. Just get your new FJ? Post about it in here!

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 08:42 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Noob to the FJ in CO/Front Range

Quote:
Dynoman024 previously said: View Post
I have been wheeling around the Rockies on a 99 Jeep XJ for about 8 years and doing it quite well but i'm ready for some Toyota fun! Purchased a 2008 FJ with 87k and I have a decent budget to start out with. Thinking 6" inches and 35's and I have been seriously debating the TRD super charger as my XJ just didn't cut it in the power regime making mountain passes at 45-50.
I came from a '99 TJ Wrangler before the FJ, the FJ is a big performance upgrade over the older Jeeps. For an '07-09 truck, the first place where most people lose power is by running regular gas instead of premium (the truck is tuned for premium). The truck can detune without harming the engine, but you're giving up 20-30 horsepower over premium. The 35's will have an impact on performance, but @FJess has been running 35's for 5+ years with no regear or supercharger (which they don't make for the '10+ trucks).

The main issue you're going to run into with the TRD superchargers is availability, they're not making them anymore. New-in-box units are rare and expensive, and used ones rarely sell separate from the truck they're attached to . So my advice would be to research regearing instead of supercharging, but I would drive the FJ on 35's with premium gas for 6-12 months just to make sure that you need to do it.

Welcome to the forums!

Quote:
COMtnFJ previously said: View Post
Welcome! Check out Colorado FJ cruisers on Facebook. Good group of FJ peeps!
Thanks for the plug!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ColoradoFJCruisers/

We're centered around Denver but anybody is welcome to join. We host mod/install days, have discounts with local vendors, organize trail runs over the summer and host our own FJ Roundup event over Labor Day in Buena Vista. For people who aren't in Colorado we also help plan their Colorado trips, suggest trails, set up runs with members etc.

Want to see what FOUR years (updated!) of offroading in Colorado looks like? Click Here

Join the Colorado FJ Cruisers Facebook page for Colorado mod days, trail runs and other organized events! Not from Colorado, but planning a trip here? Join up, we'd be happy to suggest some offroading locations for you or even coordinate a run with the locals!

My CB Radio Install+Parts Thread

Complete Guide to Buying and Selling an FJ Cruiser

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 05:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Welcome from another Colorado/Front Range convert from a 98 XJ to an 07 FJ. I'm running 33" tires and still feels like it's got way more power than my XJ with 33" and 4.56s!

2007 FJ Cruiser, lift, ARB bumpers, tires, winch etc.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 07:35 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Garage

Welcome from Castle Rock, Co.

If your looking for help with mods or what parts work I have run many of them and done most of the mods.

Give me a text and we can meet up.
618-531-3800
Sean

FSA Dynatrac D60 71" wide, Rear Rock Jock D60 71", ARB front and rear lockers 5.38 gearing, 40 inch Goodyear MTR tires, 4 speed atlas, King front and rear 12 inch coil overs with IBP and remote resi with adjusters, ballistic joints, Front and rear 3 link, Custom drive shafts, Insane Fab, front bumper, sliders and flat roof rack, Tepui RTT, 20 and 40 inch light bars, 12k super winch.

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...wap-build.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 08:13 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Garage

Welcome from Littleton!

Definitely check out the Colorado FJ Cruisers group as was mentioned in previous posts.

2012 Army Green "The Mule"
My Build / My Adventures
My YouTube Channel: Chicken River Offroad
http://www.chickenriveroffroad.com
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Thanks everyone for the info and making me feel welcome! I definitely want the 35's because my XJ had really good clearance with 4" and 33"s so this thing needs to be an upgrade from that for sure. Love the roominess in the cabin! Found a TRD S/C and fit kit for under 4500 and really close to pulling that trigger! Anyone still using the stock wheels on a 6"lift?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 11:34 AM
トヨダ Master

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome, neighbor! You & I have way too much in common. Nice FJ!

-Will
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-03-17 004.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	452.6 KB
ID:	842626   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8301.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	842634  
Attached Images

R.I.P.- Echo

Solitude Allows One to Reflect While Others are Reacting...

It Is Easier To Walk On Hot Coals Then It Is To Walk On Egg Shells...-CC

Member of the month-October 2017
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 12:06 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)

Quote:
Dynoman024 previously said: View Post
Thanks everyone for the info and making me feel welcome! I definitely want the 35's because my XJ had really good clearance with 4" and 33"s so this thing needs to be an upgrade from that for sure. Love the roominess in the cabin! Found a TRD S/C and fit kit for under 4500 and really close to pulling that trigger! Anyone still using the stock wheels on a 6"lift?

Do yourself a favor and read the thread here at the FJ forums and at Tacoma World about the Magnuson Supercharger group buy before you pull the trigger on purchasing the TRD supercharger. Magnuson was the manufacturer of the TRD supercharger and the licensing agreement has expired so Magnuson is now producing directly and utilizing the Bully Dog Tuner. Sparks Toyota had a group buy and a huge number of these were sold over at TW and we had about 4-5 members from this FJ forum participating in that group buy.

This is my summary of the collective experience being that a number of folks were unhappy with the tuner interface and end result of the Bully Dog Tuner. Many at TW decided to have have the dealer reflash the TRD supercharger tune after installing the Magnuson Supercharger. Some people went through Underdog Racing Development (URD) to utilize the UCON engine management system (not cheap) and purchase undersize pullies to achieve 8 lbs of boost.

In addition, URD offers their own supercharger kits that are pricier than the TRD/Magnuson SC but offer significantly more power gains.

Perhaps I am wrong and you have already fully researched the supercharger options for the FJ, but if not, i would slow down on the SC and do a LOT more reading about it before dropping $4.5K plus.

I believe @moodywizard , @cliffy , @Mybed and several others participated. You may want to look at all their posts and read the recent experiences with the supercharger installation as well as the final performance.

Just do a search on TRD supercharger and you will get lots/lots of threads. Do the same with Magnuson supercharger. Happy reading....or not.
Dynoman024 likes this.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 12:16 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)

If you don't need to be carb compliant I would get the urd sc. if going magnuson/trd route go get dealer flash and throw the bd tuner in trash or save 300 and don't buy it. I think you may be able to get the magnuson sc without bd tuner for close to 4K through sparkstoyota still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dynoman024 likes this.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

I have spent a few hours reading up on what has been done but have not read much just yet on what the outcomes have been. SilvFx, I really appreciate your input on the matter and will definitely look into the forum deeper! Svoruz has been answering my questions amongst others and I think I'm starting to formulate a more informed decision on what is the reality of certain mods. Still looking into the carb compliant thing. I would assume the Denver are is pretty restrictive so will see. Anyone else in the Front Range are running a SC?

post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

man...I wish my baby could play in the snow! But it's sunshine and blue skies (well, a lot of rain these days). Welcome.

2007 FJ
3" lift (so said Toyota when I bought it)
Custom paint over anything plastic or sliver
Smoked tail lights, front lights
RBP 17" Rims with BF Goodrich All Terrain
Bilstein 6112
Bilstein 5100 rear
Built Right UCAs
OME Rear Springs
K&N Aircharger Intake
---
Wants:
After-market sunroof (coming soon)
Winch
New exhaust setup
Mod Chip of some kind

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Newbie Town > Introductions & New Arrivals

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in