jimmy-buffett's Complete Guide to Buying or Selling an FJ Cruiser - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Introductions & New Arrivals New to FJCruiserForums? Come on in and tell us about yourself. Just get your new FJ? Post about it in here!

57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Re: jimmy-buffett's Complete Guide to Buying or Selling an FJ Cruiser

Quote:
ttfjc previously said: View Post
Great Read.
Thanks!

Quote:
ttfjc previously said: View Post
"2014 Trail Teams Ultimate Edition in Heritage Blue (2500 trucks) with a Manual Transmission (250 trucks)" are the sticks really that rare? only 10%?

i drive a 2010 TTSE with a stick...does that mean theres like 150?
AutoTrader shows 1733 FJ's for sale nationally, 126 are sticks (7.2%). CarGurus (my new favorite car search website) shows 1973 FJ's for sale nationally, 163 are sticks (8.2%). Knowing Toyota's fondness for round numbers, we've always taken this number to mean that ~10% of all FJ's are manuals. This isn't based on anything official from Toyota, it's possible that this number fluctuated per year or based on parts availability. But you definitely see this limited availability in for-sale listings, for example CarGurus only shows 6 '10 TT's for sale in the entire country, just one under 100K miles (and only by ~600 miles) and none of those 6 are manuals. The percentage of manuals has always fluctuated 1-2 points under 10%, I think that's partly because MT owners are more likely to keep their trucks long-term.

Manual FJ's are a fun paradox: dealers hate them because fewer people are tought to drive manuals these days, so they're harder to sell. But manual TT FJ buyers are the pickiest FJ buyers in the country. My own '11 NSSE (automatic) would be replaced with another '11 if anything happened to it, so you get a mix of current owners replacing a car they love and new owners who want a very specific color. If you were set on replacing yours right now we'd have to start a serious search hitting all the search engines and getting creative with Google searches on Craigslist. So if you ever see a manual TT on a dealer lot, pretend like you want the automatic but will accept the manual if the price is right

The challenge for pricing the very rare sub-categories of FJ's is that there aren't enough available at any one time to price against. One of our other cars (Acura NSX) has this problem, such that one of the forum members tracks every for-sale ad on a spreadsheet. I bought mine back in April and just 3 of my color (of 44 in the entire country) have sold in the last 5 years. Manual TT's aren't that rare, but they're rare enough that I'd recommend an interested buyer to watch the market for 6-12 months and wait for the right one to pop up. When you see it, you'll know it and have to jump on it.

Want to see what FOUR years (updated!) of offroading in Colorado looks like? Click Here

Join the Colorado FJ Cruisers Facebook page for Colorado mod days, trail runs and other organized events! Not from Colorado, but planning a trip here? Join up, we'd be happy to suggest some offroading locations for you or even coordinate a run with the locals!

My CB Radio Install+Parts Thread

Complete Guide to Buying and Selling an FJ Cruiser

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 09:52 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

That's some good advice--well done!!

I'm not on here like I was in 08 and 09 drooling for an FJ but this community is pissah!!!!!!! I can only imagine the amount of ---"I can't believe I just read another one of these" that forced you to write that up. Good Stuff!
Thorn661 likes this.

2010 Trail Teams FJ FOR SALE 21,000
TOYTEC | TC UCA | TOYTEC SUPER FLEX & 60004 NITRO SPORT |ARB BULL BAR | SPRINGTAIL PET BARRIER | METAL TECH 2-STAGE SLIDERS | EXP-1 WASHER BOTTLE | EXP-1 REAR BUMPER W/ SWING OUT | ARB RAILS & FRONT RUNNER FRANKEN-RACK

2017 Tacoma LB OR with OME BP-51's / Camburge UCAs /RCI Rock rails / ALU CAB Canopy and EXP RTT / Front Runner loads and Rack / TRD SEMA GUN MET / 235 Coop pizzas /RCI Ditch brackets
post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 02:35 PM
Forum Beer Miester

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2066 Post(s)
Garage

Great job Jimmy! You pretty much nailed it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 05:21 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)

JB,

Thanks for taking the time.

Saving one dog may not change the world. But, for that one dog, the world will surely change forever.
post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 05:49 AM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 33 Post(s)

Great info. Thanks for taking the time to post it. Naturally I find it, and this forum "after" I bought my FJ. I bought a 2010 base model with rear locker, for $18K, but it has a lot of miles. (121,000) I guess it's a "ok" deal, but for me, it's a great deal. It's all I wanted to spend. It's got complete service records, and doesn't appear to have ever been off road. I just have to figure out what to add. Too many choices..

I did use car-gurus. Found it to be pretty useful. Also used three other search sites.

Last edited by FJGeezer; 08-19-2017 at 05:56 AM.
post #16 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks for the advice........ I will likely read & re-read a thousand times. I have come to an agonizing decision to sell mine & I could use all the research I can get........ Judi
post #17 of 65 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 09:13 AM
4-Corners Moderator

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Garage

Glad this thread became a reality @jimmy-buffett !
jimmy-buffett likes this.
post #18 of 65 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Edits: added a Contacts / Questions section as #5 , also noted @iski77 's gracious offer to provide free CarFax services for potential buyers.
ZerosFJ likes this.

Want to see what FOUR years (updated!) of offroading in Colorado looks like? Click Here

Join the Colorado FJ Cruisers Facebook page for Colorado mod days, trail runs and other organized events! Not from Colorado, but planning a trip here? Join up, we'd be happy to suggest some offroading locations for you or even coordinate a run with the locals!

My CB Radio Install+Parts Thread

Complete Guide to Buying and Selling an FJ Cruiser

post #19 of 65 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 09:06 AM
トヨダ Master

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 3383 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
jimmy-buffett previously said: View Post
Thanks!
Manual TT's aren't that rare, but they're rare enough that I'd recommend an interested buyer to watch the market for 6-12 months and wait for the right one to pop up. When you see it, you'll know it and have to jump on it.
From a mechanical standpoint, the entire transmission and transfer case from an '05 ^ Tacoma will completely swap into an FJ with little resistance, completely with OE parts. The manual trans tunnel is still available through Toyota, as well as the clutch/brake pedal assemblies, and may be interchangeable with that same Tacoma. In all of my dealings with Toyotas over the years, I've seen one that was swapped, and it looked like a professional job and it can be done correctly. This also requires replacing and reflashing the automatic ECM with a manual ECM and disconnecting the ECT module. It would be rare to find but it is quite possible.

Having said that, you know there's some yuckle head shade tree guy who's probably done the swap, hacking things as he goes and modifying the wiring here and there. Overall condition of the vehicle should wave some red flags 1st. Where am I going with this? It might not be a bad idea to request the dealer sticker to determine whether or not the FJ you are looking at is original. That may be really hard with a truck that's 10 yrs old and the owner may not have it. Take down the VIN and call the Parts Counter representative at your local Toyota dealership and they can quickly tell you if the vehicle came with a manual or automatic transmission. Like I said above, this would be rare to find, but if you suspect foul play or see something funny around the t-case wiring, it might be worth a look.

Another red flag to look for might be the trailer wiring. This would only apply to FJs with a hitch on them. Chances are that if it has the original hitch, then the wiring is probably factory or dealer installed. If it does have an aftermarket hitch on it, I'd take a look at the wiring from the trailer plug/receptacle. See where it runs up into the left rear corner underneath. If you see a bunch of tape all around the wiring, then it may have been done by a sub-par technician. The factory wiring and module are only $100 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009NTD3LW...vert-amazon-20 and come with all necessary hardware to wire for a trailer correctly. It's 100% plug and play. I don't necessarily think that the rest of the vehicle is bad when I see a wiring hack job, but it does indicate to me that there may be other neglect or simply an owner who isn't educated enough to have these things installed properly. Hard core Toyota folks will want it done right every...single...time, and most of the members here on the forum are of that nature. I'd even ask if he/she is a member and if so, maybe poke around their posts to see what mods have been done and how.

Thanks J.B. for posting this thread, it's about time!

R.I.P.- Echo

Solitude Allows One to Reflect While Others are Reacting...

It Is Easier To Walk On Hot Coals Then It Is To Walk On Egg Shells...-CC

Member of the month-October 2017
post #20 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Good read, thank you so much for all the helpful information!! I'm excited to become involved in such a great community!

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Newbie Town > Introductions & New Arrivals

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in