surging, hunting motor - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Introductions & New Arrivals New to FJCruiserForums? Come on in and tell us about yourself. Just get your new FJ? Post about it in here!

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question surging, hunting motor

Hi FJ world
I joined a few weeks ago and am impressed with the site. I have a 2007 FJ, a 2007HHR, and a 1975 Scout. My quest right now is a problem with the FJ. It hunts or surges when releasing the gas pedal while stopping- it has a manual transmission. The motor revs up to 2300 rpm and down to 1000, then back up again one or two more times, then levels out around 1000. It may drop to about 500rpm and run rough. The check engine light is on as well as the trac lights. I changed plugs but no change in the issue. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 02:43 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Re: surging, hunting motor

Quote:
C R Dave previously said: View Post
Hi FJ world
I joined a few weeks ago and am impressed with the site. I have a 2007 FJ, a 2007HHR, and a 1975 Scout. My quest right now is a problem with the FJ. It hunts or surges when releasing the gas pedal while stopping- it has a manual transmission. The motor revs up to 2300 rpm and down to 1000, then back up again one or two more times, then levels out around 1000. It may drop to about 500rpm and run rough. The check engine light is on as well as the trac lights. I changed plugs but no change in the issue. Any ideas?
Obviously, the FIRST thing to do is to determine what OBD-II fault codes triggered the Check Engine Light.

That will then lead you down a rational, informed troubleshooting path, rather than blind, expensive, random parts-replacement strategy.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Thanks for the reminder FJtest. On My recent elk hunt in the East Kootenays the check engine light came on. The codes included P0171 and P0174. I have read the possible causes these report. In addition the motor is hunting> It goes from 2300RPM to 500 and usually settles around1000 or sometimes stays at 1500. There is also a miss-the code reader mentioned this as well. The lights came on for traction control, SS, VSC OFF, VSC TRAC. Any thoughts? There does not seem to be much info that I have found> Thanks for any ideas, Dave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 02:50 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)

Did you search "P0171" on this forum? There is a ton of troubleshooting info archived here.

In a nutshell. P0171 indicates that the engine ECU "thinks" cylinder bank #1 (passenger side) is running lean, and P0174 indicates that the engine ECU thinks cylinder bank #2 is running lean.

You don't know yet if there is actually a lean condition, or if the ECU is getting bad data from the various sensors that control fuel/air ratio. The surging, hunting, and (reported) lean mixture are frequently signs of an air leak into the intake system.

So, search the forum for "P0171" for tech details and tales of other people's experiences, and:
1. How many miles are on your odometer?
2. When was the last time the MAF sensor was cleaned?
3. When was the last time the air-fuel and oxygen sensors were replaced?
4. Have you checked for any air leaks into the intake tract on the engine side of the throttle body? Loose intake manifold bolts? Loose throttle body bolts? Disconnected PCV valve hose?
5. If more than 150K miles, has the fuel pump ever been replaced?
6. Etc, etc.

Last edited by FJtest; 10-24-2018 at 02:55 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 03:37 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Garage

fjtest gave good advice, I have nothing else to offer. but back in the early 80's I had a 76 Scout,ragtop. unfortunately suffered from rust. I was out playing Rat Patrol and blew out the sides. Addded a roll bar to hold it together.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Red face Re: surging, hunting motor

I thank you both for your assistance. Starting tonight I will be getting my nose out of the manuals and getting my hands dirty. The FJ has 89,719 miles.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 11:00 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)

Welcome

LGRT
See our Overland and Off-Road Adventure website for stories, pictures and videos of our exploits, how to mods and maintenance as well as random thoughts and rants
MODs:
Subscribe to our YouTube channel Off-Road and Overland Adventure Videos
"Like" us at Last Great Road Trip on Face Book for extras and a free LGRT decal

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

To the members who helped with ideas about my problem. The issue was due to the ventilation hose falling off the tube on the cover over the motor. I was about to dive in to the guts of the beast when I decided to check the fuses. As I did, I looked at a hose I had checked at the beginning when the FJ started acting up. It seemed to go nowhere and being an old guy figured it was a vent hose. At the time I did not realize that it had a place to hook onto. Over the last few weeks I've learned a lot. I looked closer and found a nozzle coming from the cover with a hole in it. The hose fit right on! The truck is running fine again, Thanks to all!!
Joabmc and Lee44 like this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 11:12 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Garage

Welcome Dave, and thanks for returning to let us know the solution!

2008 FJ Off Road Package, Titanium Silver, AT.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 11:34 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome from Oregon

Good catch!

Jade -- 2013 Army Green AT Crawl -- US Offroad Winch Mount / Warn 10K synthetic -- BMC -- Light Racing Upper Control Arms -- Bilstein 6112 / OME rear springs / Bilstein 5100 -- Metal-Tech Red Eye Rear Bumper -- URD Stainless Exhaust -- Cooper STT Pro LT285/70R17 E / Factory Alloys -- Smittybilt Nerf Bars -- Diode Dynamics / Light Bar / HID / LEDS -- Springtail Solutions Side Rack -- Ellis Precision - Goodies -- Cobra 75 WX ST / Bandi / 3' Firefly -- Front Runner Storage Drawer

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Newbie Town > Introductions & New Arrivals

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in