Proud new FJ Cruiser owner looking for tips, suggestions, and recommendations. - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Introductions & New Arrivals New to FJCruiserForums? Come on in and tell us about yourself. Just get your new FJ? Post about it in here!

 31Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:05 PM
Admin
 
Winterpeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 7,836
Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2375 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Proud new FJ Cruiser owner looking for tips, suggestions, and recommendations.

Welcome to the forum!

Lots of info on this forum (the go-to on the web for all things FJ related in fact).

As stated previously... just focus on the maintenance stuff and get things up to par and get out and have some fun.

You'll see what you need and don't need.

Joabmc, FJFool and b.morrish like this.

Suck it up... it's only -40
________________________________

2008 FJ Trail Teams
ARB Front; Exp1 rear STC; Apex rocksliders; Lightforce on front bumper; ARB Full Rack w/Grid; ; Icon Susp w/cdc; magnaflow muffler (mashed the original); Engo 12000S winch; 285/75/16 Duratracs; Ricochet skids, Uniden PC78 Elite CB (ch 16 typically, ch 19 on the hwy)

"Don't drive angry".... BFM
Winterpeg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:34 PM
Forum Veteran
 
CRFjockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nampa, Idaho
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Proud new FJ Cruiser owner looking for tips, suggestions, and recommendations.

Quote:
b.morrish previously said: View Post
Thank you for the warm welcome!

I had never even thought about snow accumulating on the headlights due to a lack of heat, that's interesting! I can see how that'd happen with the indented lights. I will have to look into that a bit more.

I looked at some of the Orangeboxx Fab stuff on their website, and it is all super expensive. I will look for one second hand, or just do a DIY with some mounts going through the plastic panel on the rear door.

I don't think I'll be throwing on a lift kit or any aftermarket bumpers for the time being after reading through all this, and I imagine that underbody armor can get super expensive, so I will just be more careful for now.

Thanks for your help!
I lived in Minnesota for several years. Winter there was serious, as I assume it is where you are. Many times I've had to stop and scrape headlights if the snow and cold were serious enough. I refuse to mess with LED headlights.

I've seen some very nice back doors with just Quickfists for holding an axe and shovel. Don't be afraid of doing that.
Winterpeg, FJFool and b.morrish like this.

2007 Black Cherry AT
A-Trac | TRD Cat-Back | OEM Sliders
Mods
Bilstein 6112/5160 | Wheeler's T12 Rear Springs | ProComp A/T Sport 285/70R17 | ProComp Series 41 Wheels | Ricochet Skid | RCI LCA Skids | Diode Dynamics SS6 Wide/LED Mirror/Interior Lights | IPF 968 Lights | ARB CMKA12 Compressor | Uniden Pro510XL | Bandi | 4'/2' Firesticks | Orangeboxx/Springtail Molle Racks | Iconic/Apex Overland Recovery Points | Rad Rubber

Calamity Jane is my Co-Pilot and Herbie is along for the ride!

CRFjockey is offline  
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:28 PM
Forum Master
 
norm356's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,279
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Re: Proud new FJ Cruiser owner looking for tips, suggestions, and recommendations.

"I've had a few instances where a bumper with a winch would have been immensely helpful this past winter"


One idea, instead of a multi-thousand dollar aftermarket front bumper and a winch, is get one of these to put in the trailer hitch, and a nylon pull strap and you can pull other vehicles out, and others can pull you (if you are facing the right way)

https://www.extremeterrain.com/smitt...E&gclsrc=aw.ds


Norm
FJFool and b.morrish like this.

norm356 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:17 PM
Forum Regular
 
Uncharted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Re: Proud new FJ Cruiser owner looking for tips, suggestions, and recommendations.

Hello, b.morrish, welcome from Ohio!

Additional 2 regarding the hood; once the basic mechanicals are done, I think the black hood decals are fairly affordable and easy to put on. That would look sharp on it.
(I have a '10 Sandstorm with the hood decal so I am a bit biased)
Uncharted is offline  
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
b.morrish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Proud new FJ Cruiser owner looking for tips, suggestions, and recommendations.

Quote:
Uncharted previously said: View Post
Hello, b.morrish, welcome from Ohio!

Additional 2 regarding the hood; once the basic mechanicals are done, I think the black hood decals are fairly affordable and easy to put on. That would look sharp on it.
(I have a '10 Sandstorm with the hood decal so I am a bit biased)
I am a HUGE fan of the Sandstorm, would repaint mine in an instant if it were more affordable. I will likely get a hood decal at some point in the near future then.
Thanks for the info!

Silver '08 FJ Cruiser
b.morrish is offline  
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
b.morrish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Proud new FJ Cruiser owner looking for tips, suggestions, and recommendations.

Quote:
norm356 previously said: View Post
"I've had a few instances where a bumper with a winch would have been immensely helpful this past winter"


One idea, instead of a multi-thousand dollar aftermarket front bumper and a winch, is get one of these to put in the trailer hitch, and a nylon pull strap and you can pull other vehicles out, and others can pull you (if you are facing the right way)

https://www.extremeterrain.com/smitt...E&gclsrc=aw.ds


Norm
Not a bad idea. Definitely cheaper, so I may take that route.
Thanks!

Silver '08 FJ Cruiser
b.morrish is offline  
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
b.morrish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Proud new FJ Cruiser owner looking for tips, suggestions, and recommendations.

Quote:
CRFjockey previously said: View Post
I lived in Minnesota for several years. Winter there was serious, as I assume it is where you are. Many times I've had to stop and scrape headlights if the snow and cold were serious enough. I refuse to mess with LED headlights.

I've seen some very nice back doors with just Quickfists for holding an axe and shovel. Don't be afraid of doing that.
Yeah winter can get pretty gnarly here. Even getting another 20 cm of snow this weekend! I've never had a vehicle with the indented lights like this before, so I had never even considered it.

Those Quickfists are exactly what I was planning to use for those same tools, saves some money and is still super practical.

Thanks for the info!

Silver '08 FJ Cruiser
b.morrish is offline  
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
b.morrish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Proud new FJ Cruiser owner looking for tips, suggestions, and recommendations.

Quote:
Winterpeg previously said: View Post
Welcome to the forum!

Lots of info on this forum (the go-to on the web for all things FJ related in fact).

As stated previously... just focus on the maintenance stuff and get things up to par and get out and have some fun.

You'll see what you need and don't need.

Yeah I might be getting a bit ahead of myself, but I was looking at random FJ things and saw this beautiful FJ build called "Oreo" on this site (I put the URL in the Trackback feature thing, hopefully that is visible on my post for anyone to see the beast that user @bc_indiana has created) and decided to check the forum out! Now here I am drooling over all these FJs and thinking of things I want to do to mine (but can't afford!), so I decided to tap into the immense pool of Cruiser knowledge to be found here.
Thanks for your time!

EDIT:
No clue what that trackback feature does, but here's the URL I was referencing:
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...uild-oreo.html
Winterpeg likes this.

Silver '08 FJ Cruiser
b.morrish is offline  
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:57 PM
Forum Superstar
 
bc_indiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 2,457
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Re: Proud new FJ Cruiser owner looking for tips, suggestions, and recommendations.

Quote:
b.morrish previously said: View Post
Yeah I might be getting a bit ahead of myself, but I was looking at random FJ things and saw this beautiful FJ build called "Oreo" on this site (I put the URL in the Trackback feature thing, hopefully that is visible on my post for anyone to see the beast that user @bc_indiana has created) and decided to check the forum out! Now here I am drooling over all these FJs and thinking of things I want to do to mine (but can't afford!), so I decided to tap into the immense pool of Cruiser knowledge to be found here.
Thanks for your time!

EDIT:
No clue what that trackback feature does, but here's the URL I was referencing:
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...uild-oreo.html
Appreciate the shout out. Glad my rig inspired you to join the forum. I've definitely met a lot of great folks and learned and shared quite a bit.

One thing to remember when looking at other builds, they all took time.

Things get pricey quick, but you can also do it pretty affordable as well (which I think I did a good job of) by picking up used parts. Believe it or not, I got my Wet Okole seat covers from someone on the forum turning in a leased FJ. Good deals are out there. A lot of shocks/coilovers for lifts are rebuildable for servicing, making them a good candidate to pick up used. Also, if you attend any sponsored events, pick up some raffle tickets. Some absolutely huge prizes given away (won my Metal Tech bumper at FJ summit, winch at Jamboree, etc..)

Key is to go at a financial pace you are comfortable with. If that means a spacer lift for a while (I started with one) then so be it. It works, maybe not for the Rubicon Trail, but mine never let me down the first few years I had it on and wheeled. Point is you can always upgrade or swap out to something different later (most do at some point). My thought has always been to upgrade if possible when you have to replace a part. Most people wait until they wear out tires to upsize, etc. And - most folks have to pay it off as they are building and enjoying it. Plus, you want to make sure you have some cash for gas to actually enjoy it.

As far as priority, I put my first $$ upgrades into protection (skids) & CB for wheeling. I do agree, a lift is not required to make the FJ awesome (although mine had one when I purchased it.) I've seen a stock FJ out do a modded FJ... learning to drive it/capabilities and limits is really the key.

Also, hold on to good replaced parts for spares - belts, tierod ends, etc.
(I recently put back on my old spacer lift and TRD shocks while I had my ICON Coilovers sent in to be rebuilt... very handy to not have any downtime.)

Welcome again!
FJFool and b.morrish like this.

2008 Trail Teams Special Edition


Friendly and Useful Vendors I send money to from time to time:

MetalTech
Demello Offroad
SpringtailSolutions
RicochetOffroad


Where my money goes...(CLICK FOR THE BUILD OF OREO)
bc_indiana is offline  
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
b.morrish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Proud new FJ Cruiser owner looking for tips, suggestions, and recommendations.

Quote:
bc_indiana previously said: View Post
Appreciate the shout out. Glad my rig inspired you to join the forum. I've definitely met a lot of great folks and learned and shared quite a bit.

One thing to remember when looking at other builds, they all took time.

Things get pricey quick, but you can also do it pretty affordable as well (which I think I did a good job of) by picking up used parts. Believe it or not, I got my Wet Okole seat covers from someone on the forum turning in a leased FJ. Good deals are out there. A lot of shocks/coilovers for lifts are rebuildable for servicing, making them a good candidate to pick up used. Also, if you attend any sponsored events, pick up some raffle tickets. Some absolutely huge prizes given away (won my Metal Tech bumper at FJ summit, winch at Jamboree, etc..)

Key is to go at a financial pace you are comfortable with. If that means a spacer lift for a while (I started with one) then so be it. It works, maybe not for the Rubicon Trail, but mine never let me down the first few years I had it on and wheeled. Point is you can always upgrade or swap out to something different later (most do at some point). My thought has always been to upgrade if possible when you have to replace a part. Most people wait until they wear out tires to upsize, etc. And - most folks have to pay it off as they are building and enjoying it. Plus, you want to make sure you have some cash for gas to actually enjoy it.

As far as priority, I put my first $$ upgrades into protection (skids) & CB for wheeling. I do agree, a lift is not required to make the FJ awesome (although mine had one when I purchased it.) I've seen a stock FJ out do a modded FJ... learning to drive it/capabilities and limits is really the key.

Also, hold on to good replaced parts for spares - belts, tierod ends, etc.
(I recently put back on my old spacer lift and TRD shocks while I had my ICON Coilovers sent in to be rebuilt... very handy to not have any downtime.)

Welcome again!
I appreciate you taking the time to respond, and thank you for all the valuable information! I definitely plan on taking things slow, but I don't imagine I'll have much of a choice there due to the lack of availability of FJ parts where I am, and financial restrictions. I'm always on the lookout on Kijiji and Pick 'n Pull (and similar websites) for any decent used parts I can find. Maybe I'll even be able to procure some parts from this site, but it appears most users are located some way south of myself.

Thanks again for all the information, I'll certainly take it into consideration moving forward.

Cheers!

Silver '08 FJ Cruiser
b.morrish is offline  
Reply

  Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Newbie Town > Introductions & New Arrivals

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome