want to learn more - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Introductions & New Arrivals New to FJCruiserForums? Come on in and tell us about yourself. Just get your new FJ? Post about it in here!

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:08 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Garage
Re: want to learn more

Welcome to the forum!

I wanted something to take back-country exploring. Jeeps are extremely common here in Idaho. Everywhere I look I see another one. Every one I sat in or drove just felt too clunky. My buddy has a 20-year-old stock Taco. It's a busted up pile of parts. That Taco will go anywhere. It's unstoppable. So I checked out an FJ. I fell in love. It was different and it was awesome.

7 years now and I still drive it every day and explore on the weekends. Adding mods to make it my own just makes me love it more. My budget is pretty tight. This forum is invaluable to research so that when I do save money I can buy exactly the right thing. I have never wished I bought anything else--except maybe a brand new one when they were bargaining them out in 2014!

You are correct that they cost more to mod than some other vehicles. On the other side, a stock FJ is still an amazing vehicle.

Good luck with your search.
explorasaurus rex likes this.

2007 Black Cherry AT
A-Trac | TRD Cat-Back | OEM Sliders
Mods
Bilstein 6112/5160 | Wheeler's T12 Rear Springs | ProComp A/T Sport 285/70R17 | ProComp Series 41 Wheels | RESZfab LCA/RCI LCA Skids | Ricochet Skid | DD SS6 Wide/LED Mirror/Interior Lights | IPF 968 Lights | ARB CMKA12 Compressor | Uniden Pro510XL | Bandi | 4'/2' Firesticks | Orangeboxx/Springtail Molle Racks | Iconic/Apex Recovery Points | Rad Rubber

Calamity Jane is my Co-Pilot and Herbie is along for the ride!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 07:38 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome aboard!

'07 Voodoo Blue/6MT/Roof Rack/Towing Package/ALL-PRO-Front Bumper w/Prerunner Light Bar, Rock Guards, Full Skid Plates, High Clearance Exhaust, Ultimate Lower Skids/Metal Tech Rear Bumper/ICON Ext. Travel Remote Reservoir Front-Rear PiggyBack Reservoir Shocks-Shin Guards/aFe Pro-Guard 7 CAI/Doug Thorley Headers/Garvin Trail Rack/KC Daylighters/BFG AT/KO's 315x70x17 Tires/17 inch Steel Wheels/Magnaflow Exhaust/Man-A-Fre Extended Brake Lines/M-Pac Rear Mount/Power Tank/Manik Taillight Guards & Roof Rack Light Bar/Light Racing Adjustable UCA/Safari Snorkel/SCUBA Mods/Toy Outfitters Rear Upper Control Arms, Rim Stiffeners/URD Short Shifter/Timbren Bumpstops/Baja Rack, + a butt load more mods..
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 07:56 PM
Forum Beer Miester

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2108 Post(s)
Garage

Howdy and welcome!

I highly recommend reading the thread @jimmy-buffett built before purchasing, a damn fine guide in my opinion.

You’ll never find a more unique and capable vehicle than the FJ, the looks are Iconic and it’s almost unstoppable in stock form for even the inexperienced off-roader.

Btw that a good looking hound you’ve got there, there’s a thread for that here as well! Please keep us informed on your search and don’t be afraid to ask questions, plenty of friendly folks in here with positive feedback. Good Luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
jimmy-buffett previously said: View Post
First let me suggest the buyer's guide to help you find your vehicle, I'm also available to help (free of charge) evaluate potential vehicles or even find you a specific vehicle.

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...j-cruiser.html

I moved to Colorado in 2011 for offroading, and my two main requirements were reliability and capability. The FJ is very capable, it can't take huge wheels / tires as easily as a Jeep but you don't need those for most of what we do. But more importantly, the FJ is reliable.

I've been in a Jeep far from civilization when it broke down. It isn't fun. FJ's are still machines, they do break, just less often.

Overall, my advice is to buy the best FJ you can afford. FJ resale is awesome, if you ever have to sell it you'll lose less money with this vehicle than pretty much any other you've ever owned. But if you never have to sell it, that's when you'll appreciate "the best FJ you can afford".

I had actually just finished reading that when you suggested it! It answered so many questions, so thank you for making the post!!
Thorn661 likes this.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

@CRFjockey - You're right down the road from me! So excited to see other Idahoans in the FJ. That is exactly the purpose I would be using it for, and it is sounding more and more like a perfect fit. I've heard that even stock its pretty badass. I test drove one a few days ago and fell in love. It is significantly bigger than my VW Rabbit, so it'll take some adjusting, but I am definitely ready to switch it up. Are you part of any of the off roading communities here in Boise?

Last edited by explorasaurus rex; 04-25-2019 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Learning how to use the forum and reply XD
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:33 PM
Forum Veteran

Garage

Quote:
explorasaurus rex previously said: View Post
@CRFjockey - You're right down the road from me! So excited to see other Idahoans in the FJ. That is exactly the purpose I would be using it for, and it is sounding more and more like a perfect fit. I've heard that even stock its pretty badass. I test drove one a few days ago and fell in love. It is significantly bigger than my VW Rabbit, so it'll take some adjusting, but I am definitely ready to switch it up. Are you part of any of the off roading communities here in Boise?
I've not joined any of the local groups. Everything I've seen was 100% jeep focused. I did go to Florence Dunes with the group last month. That was super-fun.

My FJ is nowhere near as elaborate as the builds that some others on the forum have done. As I said, I'm more of an explorer than a rock crawler. But if you'd like to meet up and take a look, at one that's been modded, I'd be happy to work that out. I love my FJ and I'm an evangelist for the breed.

2007 Black Cherry AT
Mods
Bilstein 6112/5160 | Wheeler's T12 Rear Springs | ProComp A/T Sport 285/70R17 | ProComp Series 41 Wheels | RESZfab LCA/RCI LCA Skids | Ricochet Skid | DD SS6 Wide/LED Mirror/Interior Lights | IPF 968 Lights | ARB CMKA12 Compressor | Uniden Pro510XL | Bandi | 4'/2' Firesticks | Orangeboxx/Springtail Molle Racks | Iconic/Apex Recovery Points | Rad Rubber

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 03:00 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Garage

Welcome to the forums! You will find so much information here! As for your questions:

I purchased my FJ because it was a unique vehicle. I was trying to decide between Army Green or Sandstorm, and chose Sandstorm. This vehicle is incredibly capable! I've taken it rock crawling, on sand, in the forest, up mountains...all on the stock suspension. Mods can get expensive, but that should not prohibit you from doing them. There are so many different things you can do to your FJ that it will be unique on its own. That's the beauty of it!

I move every couple of years for work, but my FJ has been "stationed" in Arizona, Hawaii and Virginia at the moment. It has been perfectly capable in each of those environments on the stock suspension!

And...they don't make it anymore, so that makes this vehicle even more special!
explorasaurus rex likes this.

2010 Sandstorm TT--BajaRack Standard Basket Rack (Line-X)--BajaRack Ladder--Cobra 75 WX ST w/4' Firestik--U.S. Offroad Bumper--Warn Zeon Platinum 10-S Winch--2" Sirius Pro LED Lights--Springtail Solutions Side Basket--sPod HD--OEM Audio +--40" Sirius Pro LED Single Row Light Bar--Front Runner Rear Drawer--TRD Exhaust--Wet Okole Seat Covers--All Pro Apex Rock Sliders--more to come...
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
CRFjockey previously said: View Post
I've not joined any of the local groups. Everything I've seen was 100% jeep focused. I did go to Florence Dunes with the group last month. That was super-fun.

My FJ is nowhere near as elaborate as the builds that some others on the forum have done. As I said, I'm more of an explorer than a rock crawler. But if you'd like to meet up and take a look, at one that's been modded, I'd be happy to work that out. I love my FJ and I'm an evangelist for the breed.

I found a 4x4 club but that's about it. There really are a ridiculous amount of Jeeps here, its one of the reasons I have no desire to go that route. I am a fan of uncommon. I'd love to find a group that actually do back country camping/exploring, over just crawling, too once i do have my rig. I would love to see what you've done to yours- do you have a rooftop tent? What mods have you done?
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:15 PM
Forum Veteran

Garage

Quote:
explorasaurus rex previously said: View Post
I found a 4x4 club but that's about it. There really are a ridiculous amount of Jeeps here, its one of the reasons I have no desire to go that route. I am a fan of uncommon. I'd love to find a group that actually do back country camping/exploring, over just crawling, too once i do have my rig. I would love to see what you've done to yours- do you have a rooftop tent? What mods have you done?
Can't get my wife to camp. So no tent. I've done suspension, some armor, and a couple of other things. You can see most of the list in my signature line.

2007 Black Cherry AT
Mods

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
CRFjockey previously said: View Post
Can't get my wife to camp. So no tent. I've done suspension, some armor, and a couple of other things. You can see most of the list in my signature line.

I realized that was all in your signature line right after I hit send. Still figuring out this whole forum thing. haha. Have you completed most of your own mods or do you have a shop do them?

Its a shame the wife won't camp, but i understand. It took me years to really enjoy it for what it is, versus a bunch of dirt and bugs and pooping in a hole. haha. That is one of my main goals for my FJ- so i can just go whenever I want instead of having to backpack or primitive campground camp.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Newbie Town > Introductions & New Arrivals

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in