N - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Introductions & New Arrivals New to FJCruiserForums? Come on in and tell us about yourself. Just get your new FJ? Post about it in here!

33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 09:58 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: N

Welcome from Northern California!

óMIKE

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has caused all the damage to my FJ.
~ Robert Frost

42" Light Bar | Warrior Products Roof Rack | N-Fab RSP Bumper | ARB Skids | 4.0L V6 AT | ToyTec BOSS 2.0 Coilovers | Sway Bar Relocate | Toytec Superflex Heavy Duty Rear Coils | Toytec BOSS Rear Shocks | SPC Adjustable UCAs | Toytec Rear Aluminum 2" Bump Stop Kit | 265/70R/17 Toyo ATs x5 | 2" Wheel Spacers | Rad Rubber Designs Engine Splash Guards | Hi-Lift Extreme Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
CRFjockey previously said: View Post
Welcome to the Forum. It sounds like you guys have an awesome adventure planned for the next year!
The things I do to save money...
I know that living in a trailer for a year will have its miserable moments, especially in the winter. This method of lodging will save my wife and I somewhere in the ballpark of $20,000.
I will just try to remind myself of that fact when I am feeling envious of my classmates who decided to shell out the money for hotels and AirBnB's.
Hannibal, CRFjockey and Thorn661 like this.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 11:05 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)

Welcome aboard!

'07 Voodoo Blue/6MT/Roof Rack/Towing Package/ALL-PRO-Front Bumper w/Prerunner Light Bar, Rock Guards, Full Skid Plates, High Clearance Exhaust, Ultimate Lower Skids/Metal Tech Rear Bumper/ICON Ext. Travel Remote Reservoir Front-Rear PiggyBack Reservoir Shocks-Shin Guards/aFe Pro-Guard 7 CAI/Doug Thorley Headers/Garvin Trail Rack/KC Daylighters/BFG AT/KO's 315x70x17 Tires/17 inch Steel Wheels/Magnaflow Exhaust/Man-A-Fre Extended Brake Lines/M-Pac Rear Mount/Power Tank/Manik Taillight Guards & Roof Rack Light Bar/Light Racing Adjustable UCA/Safari Snorkel/SCUBA Mods/Toy Outfitters Rear Upper Control Arms, Rim Stiffeners/URD Short Shifter/Timbren Bumpstops/Baja Rack, + a butt load more mods..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 11:08 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 38 Post(s)

Hello, yggdrasil, welcome from Ohio!

I had a Spectrum brake controller Curtmfg 51170 put in my FJ.
It's remote mount so there's no knee busting. The control can be place where it's convenient to reach. Will try to post a photo of the mount.
Most of the brake controllers can be had below list. For reference, I got mine for $155 from the dominate online bookstore & retailer.

I added a Hopkings 4 to 7+4 pin connector Endurance Multi-Tow 4 Flat to 7RVto convert the OEM plug. ($35)

I use the OEM receiver for my hitch.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 11:13 AM
Forum Veteran

For the rest of your life you are going to have better stories than they will

Quote:
yggdrasil previously said: View Post
The things I do to save money...
I know that living in a trailer for a year will have its miserable moments, especially in the winter. This method of lodging will save my wife and I somewhere in the ballpark of $20,000.
I will just try to remind myself of that fact when I am feeling envious of my classmates who decided to shell out the money for hotels and AirBnB's.
CRFjockey and amaclach like this.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 11:35 AM
Forum Veteran

Quick shot of the dial control mounted.
It's off center because it's on a hole for a previous switch. I like the 'feel' of this location for getting my hand on it when driving even though visually I would've centered it.
The sensor/controller is mounted up under the metal cover below the steering wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-28 at 1.25.06 PM.png
Views:	7
Size:	836.5 KB
ID:	1077220  
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 12:18 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Garage

Welcome from Portland..

Jade -- 2013 Army Green AT Crawl -- US Offroad Winch Mount / Warn 10K synthetic -- BMC -- Light Racing Upper Control Arms -- Bilstein 6112 / OME rear springs / Bilstein 5100 -- Metal-Tech Red Eye Rear Bumper -- URD Stainless Exhaust -- Cooper STT Pro LT285/70R17 E / Factory Alloys -- Smittybilt Nerf Bars -- Diode Dynamics / Light Bar / HID / LEDS -- Springtail Solutions Side Rack -- Ellis Precision - Goodies -- Cobra 75 WX ST / Bandi / 3' Firefly -- Front Runner Storage Drawer

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 06:45 PM
A-Team Moderator

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)

Go see the guys at Metal Tech 4x4. They're 25 miles from Hillsboro in Newberg. They were a long time sponsor here and have outfitted many FJ's.

https://www.metaltech4x4.com/
2700 E 9th St, STE 200
Newberg, Oregon 97132
(503) 822-1111

Don't fall for anyone telling you that you don't need the OEM tow hitch wiring harness, fuses and converter box, and that they've got an easier way to do it. It's plug and play.

Find an RV dealership w/repair facility to install the Brake Controller if Metal Tech doesn't do that.

The threads on the rear crossmember have to be tapped/reemed out of all the EDP coating before installing the OEM hitch bolts.

I'm nearby if you need help with anything else. Just send me a PM.

HERSOG, amaclach and Thorn661 like this.

2011 NSSE

トヨタ
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 07:39 PM
Forum Beer Miester

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2064 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
yggdrasil previously said: View Post
Thank you everyone for the quick replies. I posted the same questions on several other "off road/overland/whatever-you-call-it" forums yesterday and have not received any replies, I feel incredibly welcomed here.
I am becoming quite aware that I have a lot to learn about my FJ as well.

For the heavier springs, are there any good ones that won't result in any lift? Everything that I have found causes lift and I am not sure I want that before I can justify purchasing new tires.

With regards to the transmission cooler, am I correct in assuming that it is something that wouldn't be done at a Toyota dealership?
On that note, if anyone on here knows a good off road vehicle mechanic in the greater Hillsboro, Oregon area I would appreciate that. The one that I worked with to have the front coilovers installed did a fine job as far as I can tell, but didn't exactly inspire me with the confidence to return for future visits.

Thank you for the fuel storage ideas. I went with the cheaper plastic tongue box to save money, as well as avoiding the rotopax mounts. Trying to cut costs wherever I can has limited my options a bit for extra fuel.

I am also not getting the roof rack installed on the trailer to save money, so that slumber jack tarp that hooks to the wheels looks great. An awning that connects to the FJ's roof rack would be nice but not fill the intended purpose of covering the galley while cooking. Here is a picture of the exact kitchen set up I will have for reference on what I am trying to cover:

Thank you all for your help thus far!
Howdy and welcome!! Damn thatís a sweet looking setup youíve got there, youíre right youíll be hard pressed to find a more engaging or helpful forum my friend. Happy wheeling!
Hannibal and amaclach like this.

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 07:42 PM
Forum Beer Miester

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2064 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Hannibal previously said: View Post
Welcome to the party pal!

https://www.amazon.com/Oem-Toyota-Cr...s%2C200&sr=8-7

I run the Tekonsha Primus IQ Brake Controller.

https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-Prim...s%2C211&sr=8-8

I also run this Hopkins Adapter. Plug the square end of the OEM Toyota tow harness into the connector on the frame rail and the flat 4 on the other end into the back of this adapter. Then all you'll need to run is the ground, power and brake wires.

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-Towin...%2C198&sr=8-16

Coil Spring Air Bags
https://www.amazon.com/Firestone-Rid...s%2C206&sr=8-5

If you got the tongue box on the trailer, you can mount locking Rotopax mounts to it or your roof rack. Even Kevin shows them mounted to the Tear Drops exterior wall in his Gallery. I see a Jerry can mount too. Deutsche Optik sells some really nice cans! 5, 10 and 20L sizes.

https://deutscheoptik.com/20-Liter-J...T-OF-FOUR.html

Did you say TARP? https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...me-across.html
Damn H that has so much info in it the post alone could be made a sticky!
Hannibal likes this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Newbie Town > Introductions & New Arrivals

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in