Got the bug - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Introductions & New Arrivals New to FJCruiserForums? Come on in and tell us about yourself. Just get your new FJ? Post about it in here!

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Got the bug

Hello everyone!

I've been researching copious amounts of information on here and finally decided to join. This all started when I test drive an FJ several weeks ago an a whim and absolutely loved it. I'm currently searching for the best one for me, so I don't have one just yet.

My conundrum is this: I currently have an '18 4Runner Limited that does absolutely everything I'd like it to do. I primarily use it as a daily driver, with occasional light to moderate 4x4 trips with friends. I have no complaints with it, but I'm overtaken with the joy of driving the FJ that I test drive. Many might describe it as a step down, although, I don't see it as that.

My question to everyone is, would I be foolish to trade the 4Runner for the FJ?
FJFool likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 10:02 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Re: Got the bug

Quote:
EllisMcPickle previously said: View Post
Hello everyone!

I've been researching copious amounts of information on here and finally decided to join. This all started when I test drive an FJ several weeks ago an a whim and absolutely loved it. I'm currently searching for the best one for me, so I don't have one just yet.

My conundrum is this: I currently have an '18 4Runner Limited that does absolutely everything I'd like it to do. I primarily use it as a daily driver, with occasional light to moderate 4x4 trips with friends. I have no complaints with it, but I'm overtaken with the joy of driving the FJ that I test drive. Many might describe it as a step down, although, I don't see it as that.

Unless you plan on wheeling where the overhangs are an issue, yes it is a serious downgrade. The 4Runner is better everywhere.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 12:04 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
On a lot of levels, yes. If you are looking to trade at a dealer, you'll get killed on both ends of the deal. Basically the same engine/drive train, suspension. The only advantage would be the FJs short wheelbase. The 4R, more room (kids?), 4 doors, probably more room in the back, haven't looked.

Now if you could figure a way to come out really good on the sale of the 4R …., I know you are thinking about it.

Going from a 2005 Dodge Dakota to the FJ was a no brainer.. We do know how you are feeling about the FJ, every time I get in and start her up.

Tough decision, good luck,
Lee

Edit:

AND, Welcome from Oregon!

For probably 99% of the off roading I do, the 4R would be perfect. Don't crawl, do overlanding, fire/logging roads, some trails. Those turn arounds in tight places, the short wheelbase does make it easier.
FJFool likes this.

Jade -- 2013 Army Green AT Crawl -- US Offroad Winch Mount / Warn 10K synthetic -- BMC -- Light Racing Upper Control Arms -- Bilstein 6112 / OME rear springs / Bilstein 5100 -- Metal-Tech Red Eye Rear Bumper -- URD Stainless Exhaust -- Cooper STT Pro LT285/70R17 E / Factory Alloys -- Smittybilt Nerf Bars -- Diode Dynamics / Light Bar / HID / LEDS -- Springtail Solutions Side Rack -- Ellis Precision - Goodies -- Cobra 75 WX ST / Bandi / 3' Firefly -- Front Runner Storage Drawer

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 12:08 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Garage

It depends on your point of view. I'd take an FJ over a 4R limited any day of the week. I'd take the FJ over a G wagon and all the other Chelsea Tractors out there. What is appealing to me is the utility of the FJ. It's pretty simple so there's not much to go wrong. There are too many posh things with a 4Runner, like carpet, that don't work for me. The wheelbase, stance, design and interior are also more appealing to me. I can operate all the controls while wearing thick gloves, I can hose off the floor and I can carry the tools I need for all the work I do.

But in the grand scheme of things - if you like the creature comforts, stay with the 4Runner. If you really enjoy the FJ make the switch and don't look back.

well, maybe I'd take a G wagon. then trade it for 3-4 FJ's and accessories.
ZerosFJ, FJFool and Lee44 like this.

What doesn't kill me makes me more cynical.

TLCA #26213
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Thanks for all the replies so far!

I definitely like the utility of the FJ, and the uniqueness of it is attractive to me. With regard to trading, the worst offer I got on the 4Runner is $2k less than I paid for it, which isn't awful, so I'm certainly tempted. No kids, so back seats aren't a huge issue.

I have to admit, I'd take a G Wagen, but it would HAVE to be warrantied haha.
Lee44 likes this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 12:29 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Garage

Don't know what a 4R limited goes for but the 2K less than you paid sounds good.

What year/mileage FJ you looking at/for? You could have $$ left over.

Jade -- 2013 Army Green AT Crawl -- US Offroad Winch Mount / Warn 10K synthetic -- BMC -- Light Racing Upper Control Arms -- Bilstein 6112 / OME rear springs / Bilstein 5100 -- Metal-Tech Red Eye Rear Bumper -- URD Stainless Exhaust -- Cooper STT Pro LT285/70R17 E / Factory Alloys -- Smittybilt Nerf Bars -- Diode Dynamics / Light Bar / HID / LEDS -- Springtail Solutions Side Rack -- Ellis Precision - Goodies -- Cobra 75 WX ST / Bandi / 3' Firefly -- Front Runner Storage Drawer

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 12:29 PM
Mean Time Moderator

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1396 Post(s)
Garage

Welcome.

All good advice already, I would join the ‘if you love it go for it’ camp...you only live once and if the FJ makes you smile as much as it does all of us go with that. The $2k deal loss on the 4R sounds OK to me, I lost a load swapping to an FJ, from a top spec Volvo XC70 which was more than I needed and much much better for the daily job but no regrets at all.

2014- FJC Cement "Eddystone" US spec personal import - mods in progress https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...eddystone.html
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

I definitely bought the 4Runner "right" so I'm in pretty good standing as far as the trade situation. I even had one offer right at the price I paid last year, so I can definitely get there on the money.

I've been looking at 2010 and newer FJ's, mileage between 50-75k, and prices seem to be pretty set around $28-$35k.

I definitely get a pretty big grin when driving the FJ's, and I haven't noticed much handling/ride quality difference. I feel like I shouldn't even like them because of how utilitarian they seem compared to the 4Runner, but as you all know, there's just something about them.

Currently planning on driving a few more, and sifting through to find a really clean one to compare.
FJFool and Lee44 like this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

I'd also really love to hear any pet peeves or irritations you've had with your FJ's
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 01:30 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)

Quote:
I'd also really love to hear any pet peeves or irritations you've had with your FJ's
Here are the highlights. Terrible fuel mileage for the size and weight, wind noise, non operable rear window, poor visibility, snail like acceleration (you no already owning a 4Runner), goofy looking bumper wings, terrible audio, nearly worthless bluetooth, useless roof rack...

Still love it though.
ICChief likes this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Newbie Town > Introductions & New Arrivals

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in