Drooled all over myself - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Introductions & New Arrivals New to FJCruiserForums? Come on in and tell us about yourself. Just get your new FJ? Post about it in here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Talking Drooled all over myself

I had been looking for an FJ that was a "steal" and kept running into a lot of vehicles that were just simply not worth their asking price. This was in the CO market, where the FJ prices are quite high. I was already flying to TX (which is where we always end up purchasing our AWD vehicles) to visit my parents and my wife said, "have you looked for an FJ in TX?"

I came across a Trail Teams edition and put down a deposit with stipulations. The dealer gave me a list of what was less than ideal with it, but he did not give me a list of the upgrade. The first thing I noticed was the Baja rack (it was not terribly clear from the dealer posted photos). Then I saw the Icon stage 3 lift kit on it. I took it for a 30 minute test drive and handed them the check. Then I also noticed the rock sliders already on the FJ too. I thought, wow this just keeps getting better, keep it together and do not drool everywhere.

Ironically, I did not check under the hood, but was forced to do so when I went to start the vehicle after paying the finance guy, the vehicle was dead. I grabbed the sales guy and we were about to swap the battery. To my surprise, there was a lovely extra red 2g power wire coming off the positive battery terminal, which was not completely tightened, thus the issue why the vehicle would not start. I had already planned to throw a Focal/JL/Audison system in this FJ, but from the sounds of it, I will likely be satisfied with the current upgrade (it does need some better sound deadening in the door tho, so there is always some to improve).

The downsides:
Front OEM bumper has a 7" crack from a previously installed winch;
OEM fenders removed (contemplating making some smaller carbon fiber "fenders" to fill in the side gaps) ;
OEM grill has seen better days
Needs new headlights.

So looking for some advice. I plan to eventually get a Smittybilt bumper because they are much more economical, but how is the quality? I am open to other bumpers, but what I will not buy is a product with the company's huge logo represented on the item, that just does not appeal to me ( la NFab bumpers).

I really like the look of the "MOSTPLUS" headlight assembly with grille, but the reviews are horrible.
URL: https://www.amazon.com/MOSTPLUS-Proj.../dp/B06ZXQYDNW

Any other recommendations for headlights? I like the more modern look of these lights.

I will add some pics to my garage when I have a moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 07:41 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Drooled all over myself

You can start here:

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...on-thread.html

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...thread-13.html

Some of these companies have ceased to make FJ gear, opting to sell their inventory off and run with Jeeps, etc. as their mainstay. Some are out of business and most of their websites are dated or unclear about certain things (like WAM not telling you that you have to weld their rear bumper to get it on). If you want to re-use your receiver on the rear, you need to call because many of these bumpers use the OEM hitch mount bolts and holes. I recommend calling and talking and not doing it online only.

I have Demello front, and it has a logo cut into it. But honestly, by the time I got the winch in and lights on and a nice thick coat of bedliner - the logo isn't readily apparent, and the Demello logo isn't gruesomely bodacious like Vipers.

If you like the bumper it has, just beat it into submission and get it welded up, grind the weld down, and recoat it. The welded area will be stronger than the rest of the bumper from my experience.

I had good luck with Smittybilt tube bumpers on my Toyo trucks and on my Jeeps. I went for Demello due to the approach angle on the front and the way it fits with skid plate. You can see the bumper in my garage pic.

If your grille isn't all busted up, but is just grungy - black it out. I did mine and it cost me some sanding and a can of bedliner. You can also see that in my garage pic.

If you are looking for better fenders:
Tube Flares | Warrior Products

https://www.mcneilracinginc.com/coll...ota-fj-cruiser

Two Equal Height Columns - Liquid Layout

and then the usual oversize fender flares can cover a multitude of issues and are better than the OEM layout IMO.

That's about all I got for you. If you are on a budget, there are a lot of good ideas and how-to in the various threads in the forum. Asking can often get you pointed right to the best place for your info.
Good luck!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 08:48 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome aboard!

'07 Voodoo Blue/6MT/Roof Rack/Towing Package/ALL-PRO-Front Bumper w/Prerunner Light Bar, Rock Guards, Full Skid Plates, High Clearance Exhaust, Ultimate Lower Skids/Metal Tech Rear Bumper/ICON Ext. Travel Remote Reservoir Front-Rear PiggyBack Reservoir Shocks-Shin Guards/aFe Pro-Guard 7 CAI/Doug Thorley Headers/Garvin Trail Rack/KC Daylighters/BFG AT/KO's 315x70x17 Tires/17 inch Steel Wheels/Magnaflow Exhaust/Man-A-Fre Extended Brake Lines/M-Pac Rear Mount/Power Tank/Manik Taillight Guards & Roof Rack Light Bar/Light Racing Adjustable UCA/Safari Snorkel/SCUBA Mods/Toy Outfitters Rear Upper Control Arms, Rim Stiffeners/URD Short Shifter/Timbren Bumpstops/Baja Rack, + a butt load more mods..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 11:03 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 41 Post(s)

Hi meesterover, welcome from central Ohio!

2010 TTSE [Sandstorm]
Mostly stock, with lights in front and and on top.

An FJ Cruiser - Because my dog deserves the best adventures possible
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 12:10 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)

Welcome! Good luck with your rig!

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
longtooth previously said: View Post
If you are looking for better fenders:
Tube Flares | Warrior Products
Thank you! I think those are some of the simplest and cleanest looking fenders flares out there. Pricey though, really pricey. Considering the outlay for the FJ, I know I will not have my CFO's approval to make any purchases right now, but it is definitely on the list.

I also really like the C4 Fab front bumper "insert". Keeps the classic lines w/o putting a huge, boxy piece of metal on the front.

I also plan to sell the rock sliders that came on it and change to the C4. I need something to step on with my short 29" inseam legs (and my wife is shorter than me)! I like the Demello X-Wing, but they are twice the cost of the C4.

I just have to figure out what to do with the headlights on this. Looks like these are aftermarket, but they are plastic and the lenses are very fogged-over. I would love to find some glass ones. I would not mind cleaning up the big yellow turn signals to make the Cement Gray Trail Teams black out look a little better (I like blacked out vehicles).

Thanks again for the tips!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 03:29 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Garage

meesterover....

Go look at the photo of my Hell***** in my garage. The headlights and right turn signal are all OEM from when I bought her in 2007. I polished the haze right out of them in about 20 minutes of sanding with the right stuff. The other one I busted and replaced about 4 years ago - I do a lot of running through rough woods, and get scratched and whacked a lot, hunting hogs.

There are a gazillion headlight polishing kits out there...lots less expensive than replacing.

I could not find glass headlights, although I have thought about yanking some old Ford truck headlight mounts and doing a transplant. You just have to make sure they line up with the holes in the grill...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 03:49 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Garage

Welcome from Oregon

Jade -- 2013 Army Green AT Crawl -- US Offroad Winch Mount / Warn 10K synthetic -- BMC -- Light Racing Upper Control Arms -- Bilstein 6112 / OME rear springs / Bilstein 5100 -- Metal-Tech Red Eye Rear Bumper -- URD Stainless Exhaust -- Cooper STT Pro LT285/70R17 E / Factory Alloys -- Smittybilt Nerf Bars -- Diode Dynamics / Light Bar / HID / LEDS -- Springtail Solutions Side Rack -- Ellis Precision - Goodies -- Cobra 75 WX ST / Bandi / 3' Firefly -- Front Runner Storage Drawer

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 03:14 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)

Welcome

LGRT
See our Overland and Off-Road Adventure website for stories, pictures and videos of our exploits, how to mods and maintenance as well as random thoughts and rants
MODs:
Subscribe to our YouTube channel Off-Road and Overland Adventure Videos
"Like" us at Last Great Road Trip on Face Book for extras and a free LGRT decal

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Newbie Town > Introductions & New Arrivals

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in