Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

New member - not a new owner

2K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  2012TTSE 
#1 ·
Hey all, I'm new to the forum-ish. I've been here before in the past looking for something specific, but I'm back now for good I think. I bought my 2008 FJ back in 2012 and it remained relatively stock. I painted the silver bumpers black with plasti-dip but that was about it.

Lately I've caught the bug and decided to do some modding. I want to lift it properly, but then I won't fit in the garage at my apartment, so that's off the table for now. I had also planned on getting custom front and rear bumpers with a winch and light bars, but I think it might look odd on stock tired and lift, so I'm waiting on that as well.

I've not done much off-roading besides some simple fire trails, but in the future I'd like to do more.

For now I'm looking at some simple stuff. I just ordered the Tuffy Rear Storage drawer and I'm excited to put that in. My next two planned mods are an Ultra Gauge that I want to mount to that big plain silver dashboard spot to the left of the steering wheel, and a bluetooth stereo.

Umm, my FJ is black, about 150K miles, and I love it. Not sure what else to say. :)

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Forgot to mention I just put on some White Knuckle Offroad rock sliders.

Here's how it looks now:

This was a couple weeks ago when I decided to paint the front plastidip blue. I think I'll paint the side mirrors to match:

This was back in December when my wife and I drove from So Cal up to Montana. My first time driving in real snow:

#5 ·
Nice looking sliders.

#6 ·
Welcome from WA!

Nice ride! Definitely like the blue grill mod :bigthumb:

Do you really have plate number 1? Or are you driving around with it masked off like that? Congrats on the former, but serious warning on the latter - I hear that messing with your plates brings steep penalties.

Dan

#8 ·
Welcome from the SoCal Hi-Desert!!!!

#9 ·
Hey thanks all!

I should have mentioned, I'm from So Cal as well (Orange County).

Do you really have plate number 1? Or are you driving around with it masked off like that? Congrats on the former, but serious warning on the latter - I hear that messing with your plates brings steep penalties.
I don't actually have that plate, I just decided to have a little fun in censoring it. It's a normal plate when I drive it around.

Nice looking sliders.
I used this forum to help me pick the sliders. I debated a long time on which I liked the best, but in the end, I love the way these match the stock roof rack look.

#14 ·
Welcome to the FJ Cruiser community

#16 ·
This weekend I installed an ATOTO A6 Pro Android Car Navigation Stereo. Install is super easy. Pull out the old, take the brackets off, drill 4 new holes in each, put the new in. Damn near plug and play but the easiest stereo install I've ever done and it fits perfectly without any empty space. I should have waited until I wiped it all down for a picture, but oh well.

I mentioned above that I decided to hold off on a front bumper, but with their 20% deal I'm really considering this https://expeditiononestore.com/products/fj-cruiser-trail-series-diamond-bumper

Someone mentioned the increased weight would lower the front end. Anyone know how much? It's only 130 pounds and I wouldn't be getting the winch just yet.

#18 ·
@wavellan so far I like it a lot. I need to read the manual more because it had so many functions, but the look and responsiveness so far have been great. Need to review where I put the mic because calls through it sound really tin-y but I’m sure I can solve that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.