Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Newbie from Anacortes, WA

2K views 16 replies 17 participants last post by  FJCamel 
#1 ·
Saw the "Two Roads to Taupo" on SPEED and had to get one. Got it last summer, 2008 FJ, Silver, 5A, Convenience Package 2 (including 16"wheels w/BF Goodrich RT rubber.) Added Weston oval rock rail/step combo. I am loving it so far, have not taken it too far off road yet. Will be driving it in mountains this winter for skiing. Any advice for mountainous winter driving? (FJ specific- I've been driving in the mountains in winter for over thirty years now. I know the basics). My local ski area is Mt. Baker, WA, where I used to teach skiing. Anyway, this is my first post to this forum. Looks good, and thanks for the advice, LC Steve. markdartj in Anacortes, WA

#3 · (Edited)
Welcome... and congrats on the rig. check out Back Roads To Mt. Baker, I was just there last week... tried to get up to Twin Lakes and than up to a very empty (snow free) ski area..

I head up through the passes on a regular basis... On the passes when they call for traction devices I simply place it in 4WD high, but defiantly keep the speed down. Use your gears to keep your speed under control, avoid the brakes... remember 4WD helps you go, not stop and will be no help on ice without chains.

#5 ·
Welcome aboard!

#6 ·
Welcome to the forum!!!!

#8 ·
Welcome, my good friend in Seattle says there's a solid FJ scene in WA. Enjoy!

#11 ·
Welcome! :wave: There's a ton of us in WA, and a pretty active off-roading scene if you decide you want to start playing. We do stock friendly runs 95% of the time, and new friends are always welcome.

As for winter driving, I just drove Seattle to VA through UT, WY, NE, MO and several other states. All of those listed had bad icy/snowy conditions in areas and the FJ performed flawlessly. I have the 6MT and just drove like I always do. Slow down, pay attention, and enjoy the trip.:D

#14 ·
Welcome to the forum

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.