Recon HELP! (O'ahu) - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
The Islands This forum is pertaining to Puerto Rico, Hawaii, the US Virgin Islands, The Carribean, The Dominican Republic, etc ... all satellite bodies of land off the coast of the United States.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By BIGGUY
  • 1 Post By Hannibal
  • 1 Post By DallasDiy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Recon HELP! (O'ahu)

Greetings! My family and I are blessed to be relocating to O'ahu in June of 2019. I'm posting the questions for which I haven't found answers after considerable research. It would be unfortunate to ship our beloved FJ there and then fail Recon without a good solution. I'm hoping that someone with local experience and knowledge will advise me.

I currently have a 2" lift via Bilstein 6100s, and Discoverer Pro STT 33" tires on stock 17" wheels. The tires slightly rub at full lock, just touching an inner plastic part of the mud guard, which I plan to shave down.

I've read the Recon rules, and have the following concerns:

1. As a result of the lift, my stock mud guards extend to about 1.5" above than the centers of my wheels. Is that small measurement likely to matter at the inspection station? If I pass Recon with that measurement, how likely am I to be ticketed later for being technically non-compliant?

2. BMC, body mount chop has been done on my FJ. The cuts are clean and straight, but the resulting openings are uncovered and visible, and it's obvious that the metal has been cut. If I have the openings welded shut and painted black, is this likely to pass Recon?

I'm not trying to break rules; I'm trying not to spend too much money making changes to the FJ.

THANK YOU for your time! My wife and I are very appreciative of your help.

2007 Sun Fusion 4WD Auto | Cooper Discover STT Pro 33" | SPC/Light Racing UCAs | Shrockworks rock sliders | 2" lift on Bilstein 6100s | Sonoran Steel rear lower links & panhard rod | Skyjacker rear upper links | Roof ladder | Sony XAV-X100 head unit w/ backup camera | JBL Stage amps & Club speakers | Uniden CB | Green rock lights

Last edited by DallasDiy; 03-29-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 04:51 PM
I Have a V-8!! Moderator

Mentioned: 342 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6863 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Welcome! The following guy might just have the info you need. Hopefully he'll get the message.

@Hannibal
DallasDiy likes this.

Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens...

I'll ride in on a sunny day, Sing you a song, steal your heart away Like a cowboy Hang my hat like I'm here for awhile Kick off my boots and drive you wild Like a cowboy Well baby you know I can't stay long You wake up, I'll be gone Until then I'll hold on Like a cowboy.

TLCA #9031
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 06:07 PM
A-Team Moderator

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 2553 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Cool Re: Recon HELP! (O'ahu)

Maui doesn't have that nonsense. RECON is an Oahu thing only. Vehicle laws from island/county to island/county are different.

Inspection consists of making sure the windshield isn't cracked, battery is secured, wipers and all lights & signals work, tires aren't bald and the seat belts work. They take 5 pics with an iPad and you're good to go.

1. I'd fill those BMC gaps in. 1 of the vendors on here makes filler plates.
2. Take it for Inspection and see what happens. The worse thing is a Failure, get it fixed, like adding mud flap extensions and have it re-inspected. "Failure" is no big thing. But get em done before standing in those lovely lines to register it. Otherwise you'll will not be allowed to register it until the Inspection sticker is rec'd.

In other words, don't bother trying to register it first without the Inspection. They'll send you away and you'll be standing in line again.

FYI: HI Driving books are only available at Long's Drug Stores.

Aloha
DallasDiy likes this.

Sufficient Speed, Acceptable Drag

トヨタ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Re: Recon HELP! (O'ahu)

Thanks for the lead, BIGGUY!

Quote:
Hannibal previously said: View Post
Maui doesn't have that nonsense. RECON is an Oahu thing only. Vehicle laws from island/county to island/county are different.

Inspection consists of making sure the windshield isn't cracked, battery is secured, wipers and all lights & signals work, tires aren't bald and the seat belts work. They take 5 pics with an iPad and you're good to go.

1. I'd fill those BMC gaps in. 1 of the vendors on here makes filler plates.

2. Take it for Inspection and see what happens. The worse thing is a Failure, get it fixed, like adding mud flap extensions and have it re-inspected. "Failure" is no big thing. But get em done before standing in those lovely lines to register it. Otherwise you'll will not be allowed to register it until the Inspection sticker is rec'd.

In other words, don't bother trying to register it first without the Inspection. They'll send you away and you'll be standing in line again.

FYI: HI Driving books are only available at Long's Drug Stores.

Aloha

Aloha, and mahalo! Your guidance definitely helps my efficiency. I've read a lot about Recon before registration, but I didn't know about the books being available only at Long's Drug stores. I'm having new rear link mounts welded on, so I'll just have the BMC openings sealed at that time. My wife and I discussed all of the options this weekend, and she's ready to install whatever it takes to have a legal lifted FJ on-island. We'll clean everything up and take it in for Recon, and go from there.
Hannibal likes this.

2007 Sun Fusion 4WD Auto | Cooper Discover STT Pro 33" | SPC/Light Racing UCAs | Shrockworks rock sliders | 2" lift on Bilstein 6100s | Sonoran Steel rear lower links & panhard rod | Skyjacker rear upper links | Roof ladder | Sony XAV-X100 head unit w/ backup camera | JBL Stage amps & Club speakers | Uniden CB | Green rock lights

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Regional Forums > The Islands

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in