Letter from CORVA to all OHV users - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Land Use Action Forum A place for information on land closures and what you can do about them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation Letter from CORVA to all OHV users

Say this over at RDC at thought I would pass it along to everyone. If you are going to the truckhaven event you will get a hard copy of this I think. This is more for California people but it is good for everyone to ready.

Quote:
THE HEIST OF THE GREEN STICKER PROGRAM
2/24/2007

My name is Ed Waldheim, I am 68 years old resident of California City, California. I have been fighting for the rights of off roaders since 1978 when President Nixon signed the executive order to create the California Desert Conservation area.

I have been commissioner two separate times for the OHV program appointed by two different Governors one Republican and one Democrat. I have been CORVA president for 14 years. We have created nine non-profits groups such as Friends of Jawbone, Friends of El Mirage, Friends of Oceano Dunes, Friends of Dumont, Friends of Kern County OHV Parks. Our groups groom trails with rented tractors, quads, rakes, sign trails with our volunteers.

In 2006, I attended 221 meetings (see the calendar of meetings at www.corva.org under calendar) over the years I have driven hundreds of thousands of miles. My five month old Prius now has 24,900 miles on it, no joke.

I do all this for free; I never get paid for anything. CORVA does not have a paid staff and no one gets paid except to get the newsletter out. We have a lobbyist in Washington DC, something no one else has except AMA national office, we have lobbyist in Sacramento and proud to be partners with Ecological group made up of ASA, ORBA, San Diego Off-Road Coalition, D-37 AMA and CORVA to have a full time attorney on staff.

Why this note to you at Truckhaven. Mike Bishop from ACORVA, CTUC and CORVA has agreed to pass these flyers and newsletters out to everyone he can reach to tell you that we are in big trouble. Our OHV program, Green Sticker
program has finally been hijacked the Environmental Zealots and do everything in their power to discredit the off road community.

They tried to shut us down in Truckhaven with the CBD lawsuit. The only problem they came across is CORVA who stopped them cold. Go to our March ORIA newsletter or www.corva.org to get the full story.

Today you are having fun in Truckhaven because our attorney on behalf of our 5 partners was able to beat the CBD in court. But that victory will not be long lived unless we keep up our side of the fight. Remember these guys never quit. They want to see us in the Pacific Ocean.

They want to deny you and I our opportunity to ride and recreate. Make no bones about it. We are at war for our very survival of our sport!

The commission has cut all funding for operation and maintenance. No agency received a dollar to fix trails, clean restrooms and many did not get enforcement money.

Our OHV program comes up for reauthorization in Sacramento and bills by the Environmental Zealots are being introduced as we are introducing our bills.
The fight is on.

Now you, the off-road public have to step up and do you part. We at CORVA and other organizations are the guns, but we need bullets, thousands of them. In Sacramento we are of no consequence, for 15 years we get 100 people to come to lobby day. We should have 5000 people; block the streets, the hallways in Capitol Building. In other words we need to make sure that the legislators know that you exist out there .That you are real and that you are passionate about your sport.

Up until now, we are not even on their radar screen, that fact is perfectly clear by the appointments they make to the commission all. They have finally taken over and killed our State of California OHV Program.

Agencies are now trying to figure out how to pay staff to keep areas open. If you think this does not affect you think again. (Not only Truckhaven, But
EVERY district)

March 19, 2007 Monday in Sacramento, we need every single person who is at Truckhaven this weekend and at the Tierra Del Sol event in Ocotillo Wells to come to Sacramento. Take vacation time, take sick time, car pool to Sacramento, ask your club to pay for your gas, borrow money whatever be there. If you are not there. CORVA and all the other organizations will be hard pressed to save our sport. To date, they have done a good job on us, why because of our total apathy to the political process.

Truckhaven was saved this time; but will you be there to help us on the next round with donations, with membership, with manpower to protect your sport?

As of 2-22-07 the CBD filed an 60-day Notice of Intent to Sue claiming that OHV activities at Truckhaven are causing a "take" of Peninsular Bighorn Sheep in violation of Section 9 of the Endangered Species Act. As you can see, they are using "science" to prove their point. I cannot stress enough how important it is that we ramp up on the technical side so that we can challenge their claims. If we don't, consider Truckhaven closed for the indefinite future. This is war. We can either adapt or fight back with equal fire-power; or we can go home and stay there.

We need you in Sacramento, no excuses; we need every single member of clubs, play riders, anyone who recreates in California needs to be in Sacramento.
Join us in Sacramento on March 19, 2007

Registration is on California League of Off Road Voters

"Because in the end it has almost nothing to do with the bike and everything to do with setting
out to accomplish something that is intimidating, that is unknown to you, something you know you
have a good chance of failing at but doing it anyways and slowly but surely proving yourself wrong."

Mike Ambs

www.corva.org
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Aequitas - Veritas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 09:00 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Exclamation Re: Letter from CORVA to all OHV users

Everyone can make a difference.

Chris
El Froggo my ride. My FJ's theme song Chocolate Rain 8bit remix
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 10:49 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Letter from CORVA to all OHV users

^^^^^^ +1

Need to have your voice heard to maintain access. Screaming and shouting once the MAN has stripped you of the privilege, is almost counter-productive, like pushing a wet noodle uphill. Point being is that it is an easier road to get involved early; after it's gone, the degree of guilty goes up exponentially! It's the old possession is 9/10ths of the law bit.

- Chris
TLCA # 16780

2007 FJ: Voodoo Blue, AT w/ CQ UR2, FJ Roof Rack, Factory rails, hitch, skid plate,TRD intake + exhaust, ScanGaugeII
885/895 OME Lift, OEM black steelies

Smokey Mountain Cruisers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

this is important people. We need to make are vocies heard already instead of crying about it after some wack jobs takes away are land.

People in NorCal we need you asspecialy some of us down south will not be abeal to make the treck but we are looking at ideas to carpool up there.

"Because in the end it has almost nothing to do with the bike and everything to do with setting
out to accomplish something that is intimidating, that is unknown to you, something you know you
have a good chance of failing at but doing it anyways and slowly but surely proving yourself wrong."

Mike Ambs

www.corva.org
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Aequitas - Veritas
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

:BUMP:
any one seeing this in california let us know.

Mike Ambs

www.corva.org
- Thomas Paine

Aequitas - Veritas
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 04:54 PM
Forum Superstar

I saw some NORCAL folks on this board asking when another FJ get together was going to happen. Sounds like a good opportunity for you guys to meet up and do something productive for your sport. California is a 4 Wheelers paradise...and also is under the most intense attacks...would be a shame to let it all go. If you haven't been to your state capital building during a session like this, you owe it to yourself. It's quite impressive to see how legislators respond to a BIG gathering of the public. They start thinking "Hey, there might actually be enough people out there thinking this way to get me elected...or kicked out!"

1 Bored Clerk

Inchworm Gear E-Locker Guard

It would be great if I had a clue, but let's face it, that's just not gonna happen.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

1 Bored Clerk that is a great idea.
NorCal people what do you think about that? Take a day to help support are hooby so are kids can injoy it as well.

Mike Ambs

www.corva.org
- Thomas Paine

Aequitas - Veritas
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 10:33 PM

I will attend.
This is the link to the lobby day info page
This is the link to the lobby day registration page

Last edited by jeeplife; 02-27-2007 at 10:41 PM. Reason: updated links
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 11:49 PM

Well, I'm all for it and stuff, but if we're talking about the endangerment of an animal species... Eh, I think we've killed off enough species this century already with the Chinese dolphins and all.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
for realsss previously said: View Post
Well, I'm all for it and stuff, but if we're talking about the endangerment of an animal species... Eh, I think we've killed off enough species this century already with the Chinese dolphins and all.
that is not what we are talking about, no one wants to kill endangered animals. what we are talking about it enviromental extrmest trying to close down every offroad area that we have here in california and the rest of the country. These people say we are killing animals and plants and destroying the enviroment when in reality we love this land more then them and do not want to see it destroyed because then there would be nothing for us to enjoy when out on the trails. We as Offroaders are out trying to enjoy this beautiful land while the enviromentalist want to fence it all off so no one can touch it.

I will say this though, there are some idiots on the trails doing stupid things but that is not the majority at all. What needs to happen is education. To teach people the right and the wrong way, to tread lightly

Mike Ambs

www.corva.org
- Thomas Paine

Aequitas - Veritas

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > Land Use Action Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in