Wiring roof and fog lights without using existing harness? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Wiring roof and fog lights without using existing harness?

So I am about to install 4 different sets of lighting on my rig.

Air Dam Lights
Lower grille lights
Bumper fog lights
Rear roof lights

I have all the lights, switches, relays, wires, connectors, plugs, heat shrink, loom etc etc so I am ready to rock. Just trying to finalize my game plan.

Here is the deal. From what I gather, using the existing harness set up greatly limits your ability to use your lights as you choose. I would prefer to have the air dam lights on one switch that I can turn on and off whenever I please. The lower grille lights, I would also prefer to have full control of on its own switch. The bumper fog lights is something I am dreaming up with 2'' led fog lights, I would prefer if these lights either came on when the car started and stayed on through all headlight switch positions OR simply come on with running/low/hi beam lights. The rear roof lights will also be controlled by a switch whenever I please.

I understand that there is existing wires ready to go but I think this way will achieve my goal. Attached is a diagram I drew up for the basic lighting. I do some minor LED work on big rigs at work, and this is a similar set up I use when wiring. However, I think it can kind of be streamlined.. Like using the ground from the relay to ground lights and that sort of thing. If you see a shortcut, let me know. I am also wondering if I can use 1 power line from the battery to power all 4 relays/switches? Can I use the battery neg terminal to satisfy all grounds or do I tap other existing grounds in engine bay?

My only concern is someone helping me wire the fog lights so that the switch can stay pressed on at all times(think parking sensor) and then be activated by the head light control or just stay on at all times..Is there anyway to do this. Obviously I will have to tap into the wire that power the headlights but I dont even know where to look.

Also, if someone can talk me into using the existing set up, go ahead! I know this is kind of confusing but I will take all the help I can get. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LED Diagram FJ.png
Views:	15672
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	506658  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 06:21 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Re: Wiring roof and fog lights without using existing harness?

Hello, in the last month i wired in 2 led bars on my roof rack and bringing the wires down on the passenger side windshield pillar. First I installed my zombie light bar in the back 24 inch using 2 racing clamps sold on ebay, used them on my other FJ installing the jack.
Then i drilled a hole in the roof rack and fished the wires to the aft passenger pillar, had to unbolt rack to fish and drill through roof being careful to only go about 1/8 depth into the roof to stay above liner and in between the roof wall, then with safety wire fished down and sent wires to front of cabin along inner panels. proceeded to do the same on 50 inch curved led light bringing all 4 wires down through front passenger pillar and out near glove box, being meticulous the whole time with detail, tie wrapping and making it look custom,. installed switch kit wiring harness sold on ebay for 13.00 and wallah. Sealed all roof rack and roof access holes. here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1220504.jpg
Views:	1293
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	506730   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1220505.jpg
Views:	1417
Size:	343.2 KB
ID:	506738   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1220506.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	312.2 KB
ID:	506746   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1220500.jpg
Views:	673
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	506754   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1220476.jpg
Views:	1184
Size:	317.2 KB
ID:	506762  

FJ SILVER 2007, ROUGH COUNTRY 3 IN LIFT,285/70/17 BFG, PIONEER REAR CAMERA MOD,VIDEO SEAT MOD, PLAYSTATION MOD,TINT GRAPH,INT LT MOD,THULE BOX, HELLA HORN MOD..

FJ FUSION 2007, EMO 3 INCH, 285/70R/17 BFG KM2,POD MOD, SIDE SUNVISOR MOD,JVC STEREO, BACK UP CAMERA FRONT AND REAR GO PRO DASH CAMS, 7 INC GARMIN GPS, ULTRA-GAUGE MOD,HELLA HORN MOD, 52 IN CURVED LED FRNT, 24 INCH LED BACK, BC10 UNIDEN BEAR TRACKER SCANNER MOD, FRONT MAPLIGHT MOD,PLUS..
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 07:54 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Wiring roof and fog lights without using existing harness?

Quote:
wavjumpr previously said: View Post
Hello, in the last month i wired in 2 led bars on my roof rack and bringing the wires down on the passenger side windshield pillar. First I installed my zombie light bar in the back 24 inch using 2 racing clamps sold on ebay, used them on my other FJ installing the jack.
Then i drilled a hole in the roof rack and fished the wires to the aft passenger pillar, had to unbolt rack to fish and drill through roof being careful to only go about 1/8 depth into the roof to stay above liner and in between the roof wall, then with safety wire fished down and sent wires to front of cabin along inner panels. proceeded to do the same on 50 inch curved led light bringing all 4 wires down through front passenger pillar and out near glove box, being meticulous the whole time with detail, tie wrapping and making it look custom,. installed switch kit wiring harness sold on ebay for 13.00 and wallah. Sealed all roof rack and roof access holes. here are some pics.
Looks awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 01:46 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
wavjumpr previously said: View Post
When you did the front led. What clamps did you use to mount it? Also, is the factory wire harness located on the passenger side? Thanks

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical > Lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in