Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

DRL Still Works After Removing DRL fuse

7K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Curmudgeon555 
#1 ·
I know that DRLs aren't supposed to work with HIDs. I just finished an HID retrofit in my 07 FJ. I wanted to test the headlights, so I engaged my P brake to disable my DRLs, fired up the FJ and turned the lights on and confirmed everything works.

I then switched the headlights off and released the P. Brake, and the headlights came on in DRL mode. I manually turned the headlight switch on to low beam, and there was zero difference between that and DRL mode. High beam was normal.

I removed fuse #13 under the hood for the DRLs. Started my FJ up and the DRLs still turned on even with the fuse removed!?! Is this normal??

Also, I don't have the high beam indicator problem that others have reported with HID bi-xenon projector retrofits, where the high beam indicator does not come on in hi-beam..mine comes on as it should.

Have things just changed that much that yesterday's little quirks have disappeared with the new bi-xenon retro kits?? Am I lucky or missing something here??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
So apparently the threads I was reading were very old, found some newer threads about HID/DRL scenarios.

Looks like it's ok to run DRLs with bi-xenon when using the relay harness that's connected directly to the battery for power, which my setup is[emoji1417]. My hi-beam indicator works as it should, so I don't need the jumper/resistor hack in my setup. I will be installing a DRL switch so that I can turn the DRLs off around town and back on for highway driving.

#3 · (Edited)
The DRL's always have power from the ECU. When you turn on the headlight switch it gives them a solid (-) neg ground potential and they get brighter.

So, your xenon's are getting partial power in DRL mode. Not sure if that is a good thing for longevity of the lights.

If you want to disable the DRL's, behind the drivers headlight is a grey connector to the DRL resistor (resistance to chassis ground) If you disconnect that, your DRL circuit will be disabled. The DRL fuse you removed may be better reinserted because it probably goes to the DRL relay that connects the headlights to the solid chassis ground. ( I am just going from memory without looking at the schematics)

With that fuse removed, you may be taxing you new lights with or without the headlight switch "on" because that relay never triggers to switch your circuit to the solid chassis ground, and continues to direct your lights through the resistor.

Reinstall the fuse and disconnect that resistor behind the drivers headlight.

I undid the plug and just slightly mated the connector back together to stop an excess of water and road grime from FOD out the open connectors.

I thought at one time I would try to get both connectors (male and female) and use them to wire in a switch so I have in ****pit choices, while keeping the connectors sealed against moisture.

Cheers!

**** silly profanity filter won't let me describe the place a pilot fly his airplane from, oh those canadians... ****

#5 ·
Thank you[emoji1417]. I replaced the fuse. That's a great explanation especially for us 'electrically challenged' nubers [emoji1419]. I was thinking a switch in case my wife takes the FJ, I could flip it and she'd have DLR, and I'd feel better[emoji51]. Is that a bad idea?

#6 · (Edited)
Not a bad idea at all... That is along the lines that I was thinking.

You would put a switch between that resistor component and the wiring that it attaches to.
This is the first vehicle that I have owned that had the DRL's.
For me it was, and is, a control thing. If I am driving and I have to turn around (three point turn) and I use someone's driveway, I want to be courteous and turn off my headlights so I do not flash the front of the house and make them get up to look out the window to see who just arrived. I also leave my parking lights on so if they do look, they see my lights and know I am not trying to sneak up.

Another point is that I have been known to have an occasional home brew or two from time to time. A glass of wine with dinner. I found that I might get in the car and drive without turning on the headlights because they were already lit up.... which in reality is that my tail lights are actually not on at night. a) it is a safety / visibility issue (see and be seen) and b) driving without your lights on at night is a big red flag for the constable that you may have hoisted a few.

So in my humble opinion, DRL's are actually a safety hazard to me and my well being AND an inconsideration. Many times I am in reverse going to back out of a parking spot at the same time someone else is doing the same. Being able to go into park (turns off reverse light) and shut off my headlights (parking lights only) is a way to signal to the other driver that I yield way and that they can proceed. It saves a few seconds of my precious life almost every time I do that. They get the hint,....

Cheers!

#7 ·
I was have like your issue, The FJ already have + signals and whether headlights on of off, for the DRL.

So if you install wireharness with - to chassis by that you already completed the circuit.

You should take the - from the stock plug, and if you want Disable the DRL just remove/ unplug the DRL resistor,

Without the wire harnesses The hid will flash when change between Hi/Lo beams, could not fix it yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.