LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Diode Dynamics HID's

Does anyone have experience with Diode Dynamics HID headlights for the Cruiser?

I haven't been able to find much info on this system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 5.49.43 AM.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	1022882  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 04:19 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Re: Diode Dynamics HID's

Quote:
olongapo2 previously said: View Post
Does anyone have experience with Diode Dynamics HID headlights for the Cruiser?

I haven't been able to find much info on this system.

Iíd sure like to know more about them! I replaced my HID on my F150 with LED and I love them. Iíd sure like to do the FJ.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 04:38 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Garage

I asked @Diode Dynamics about the HIDs, and was told that it would be worth the wait for their LED's that will be coming out for the FJ this summer.
BOBTAILFJ and Lee44 like this.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin
"You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something sometime in your life." - Napoleon
"Quotes found on the internet are rarely correct." - George Washington

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 04:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Irving Zisman previously said: View Post
I asked @Diode Dynamics about the HIDs, and was told that it would be worth the wait for their LED's that will be coming out for the FJ this summer.

That sounds good!

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Irving Zisman,

Thanks. Good to know.

I've installed HID's in previous vehicles with amazing results but for my Cruiser I want something more streamline than the large ballast that normally come with HID's. I've researched all various headlight types.. High output halogen bulbs which appear to have a short life span. LED's, but I'm drawn back by the heat sinks. Diode Dynamics advertises their HID's having slime-line ballast but they show no photos of the ballast on their web site nor am I able to see installation instructions on their site.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 07:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Irving Zisman,

Thanks. Good to know.

I've installed HID's in previous vehicles with amazing results but for my Cruiser I want something more streamline than the large ballast that normally come with HID's. I've researched all various headlight types.. High output halogen bulbs which appear to have a short life span. LED's, but I'm drawn back by the heat sinks. Diode Dynamics advertises their HID's having slime-line ballast but they show no photos of the ballast on their web site nor am I able to see installation instructions on their site.

They will install very similar to HID but much smaller cabling and ballast and much less heat.

The ones I have on my truck each have a heat sync with an individual cooling fan. Iíve had them for over a year and they are fantastic.

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 08:02 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Garage

$180 seems like a pile of money for two light bulbs. I did a bixenon HID projector install in mine, and everything cost me less than $200, including lights and ballasts. One of the best mods you can do IMO.

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk
amaclach likes this.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 08:56 AM
Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)

Quote:
Irving Zisman previously said: View Post
That's what I would recommend as well. We do offer an HID conversion kit, but it's not ideal for reflector style housings. HIDs will work fine, but they will generate additional glare for other drivers on the road.

We will keep everyone posted on our engineering team's progress on the SL2 LED headlight. The FJ will definitely be a perfect application for it!

Thank you,
Nick C.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 09:01 AM
Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)

Quote:
Irving Zisman,

Thanks. Good to know.

We've used Hylux ballasts with our HID kits for 5+ years, which are considered the absolute best on the market. (Consequently, some of our competitors have begun to offer Hylux as well)

They are extremely high-quality and the most reliable aftermarket ballast on the market. Here's a picture of the ballast itself:

In terms of "slimness", they are about the size of a deck of cards. Sure, there are probably slimmer ballasts out there, but the Hylux uses the best components possible, which I'd take over 2mm of ballast casing thickness any day!

Thank you!
Nick C.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 06:55 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
FatJohnson previously said: View Post
$180 seems like a pile of money for two light bulbs. I did a bixenon HID projector install in mine, and everything cost me less than $200, including lights and ballasts. One of the best mods you can do IMO.

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with you 100% while I have no experience with diode dynamics I do have experience with other HID Kits and LED kits. $180 is a lot to fork out. I did HID's in my wife's 4 runner three years ago. They were a cheap 50 dollar set and are going 4 years strong with no issues. I would have to go through two more sets to make sense.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
FatJohnson likes this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical > Lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in