post #41 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 12:47 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Re: LED light bar in front bumper

Quote:
mjpjr45 previously said: View Post
I'm not running the factory bulbs, I switched them to LED bulbs.
I know, I was saying just because you switched them to LED, that doesn't mean the draw, now that you've added the light bar to the same circuit, isn't more than the factory halogens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 12:55 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
mjpjr45 previously said: View Post
This is what the Rough Country complete kit looks like.

If you call them directly you can get just the brackets(the 2 on bottom right of pic). They bolt up to to factory bumper bracket bolts and place the light bar in the center of the lower grille. But using them with the holes they have, you need to removed the lower grille. I drilled new holes to set my bar further back.
I almost bought that kit, but I didn't like look or 3w chips and conventional reflectors, compared to their newer black series that uses 5w chips and shaped lenses. The single row I used is the new style.

Old Black series, 30", dual row, 180W, 14400 lumens

New Black series, 30", dual row, 300w, 27000 lumens

Last edited by RDTCU; 08-22-2019 at 12:57 PM.
post #43 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 05:43 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
philFJ previously said: View Post
which light bar kit did you use, mainly wondering about the brackets? i want to install mine the same way, seems like everyone else is deleting the lower bumper mesh and installing it flush or in front of the mesh. id prefer to do it the same way you did.
I just used the stock light bar brackets mounted to the internal bumper tube, which I drilled and tapped to mount the light bar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10548666_1046043925406453_2358811965107032616_o.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	244.8 KB
ID:	1091174  

Kevin, Shannon, and a 2007 FJ Cruiser | ОѴƦԼχƝƊ.com | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube
"You're born into the world thinking that you are...entering a world that's been seen before.
And seldom do you sort of wake up to the realization that you're the explorer." -- Sean Parker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)

ok last question i promise. im fine with mounting the lights thats the easy part. how did you wire it, did you buy one of the "universal" lighting wire kits and just swap out the switch with an oem toyota toggle switch or somehow use the existing blank and relay/fuse box? ive seen some people mention that we are already "wired" for a front bumper light but havent really gone too far down that hole, would prefer to use oem mounting, than running a new setup from china for $13

Last edited by philFJ; 08-28-2019 at 10:00 AM.
post #45 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 10:18 AM
Forum Regular

Quote:
philFJ previously said: View Post
ok last question i promise. im fine with mounting the lights thats the easy part. how did you wire it, did you buy one of the "universal" lighting wire kits and just swap out the switch with an oem toyota toggle switch or somehow use the existing blank and relay/fuse box? ive seen some people mention that we are already "wired" for a front bumper light but havent really gone too far down that hole, would prefer to use oem mounting, than running a new setup from china for $13
I planned on doing more than one circuit so I sprung for a Shrockworks relay/fuse block (just a pre-wired Bussmann with an FJ mount), and some OTRATTW rocker switches in the factory blanks.

DBCooper likes this.
post #46 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

For my bumper light, I just tapped into my factory bumper lights. For my other lights(roof and rear) I used some universal light kits then added switches I got from Amazon. I also found this cool switch plate(made out of aluminum and comes in numerous colors) on Amazon. The ejection seat switch is not hooked up. It actually just pushed into the hole I had used for my rear lights earlier. I'll eventually hook something up to it.

Switch panel https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3900.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	1091646  
post #47 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 03:48 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1486 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
RDTCU previously said: View Post
I planned on doing more than one circuit so I sprung for a Shrockworks relay/fuse block (just a pre-wired Bussmann with an FJ mount), and some OTRATTW rocker switches in the factory blanks.

You are going to like the Bussman! The wires are long enough to run into the cab and switch location. Take your time and plan your wiring routes/runs and it will look like it belongs and no rats nests.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
post #48 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 06:24 AM
Forum Regular

Quote:
mikey previously said: View Post
You are going to like the Bussman! The wires are long enough to run into the cab and switch location. Take your time and plan your wiring routes/runs and it will look like it belongs and no rats nests.
I've had it mounted since January, and yes I like it. I bundled and wrapped the switch wires through a factory firewall grommet, but I do have the rest of the unused (for now) wiring coiled and stowed by the master cylinder.
can't route it if I'm not sure what it's going to be used to power...

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical > Lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in